[Event] MTN NATIONAL XCM #8 Ride Crater Cruise Driven By NISSAN

Tim_Fair

I didn't find it as hectic as previous versions - the wind help cool things down and was a tail wind in the last 20 k's. Did soak in that shower and also a dip at that last WP by the river, a must! Keeping the core cool is part of the plan of dealing with the heat.

Can't say what went really went right, but I finished feeling good, and thats besides having a stomach bug, even rode up the rock! Maybe it was the 'new' 650b Flash (The Black Panther) that gave me the +ve headspace, felt like I was getting a helping hand from above at times.

Nice Choc Protein finishing drink for a change, thanks. Only gripe (minor one) was cut off to the rocky climb just before half way, thus missing out on the technical descent, got there in 2:20 and was closed already (?)

Great event and fantastic geology. Think it was my 6th (out of 10).

Edited by kosmonooit

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't find it as bad as previous versions - the wind help cool things down and was a tail wind in the last 20 k's. Did soak in that shower and also a dip at that last WP by the river, a must!

Cant say what went right, but I finished feeling good (besides having a stomach bug), even rode up the rock! Maybe it was me 'new' 650b Flash (The Black Panther) that gave me legs, felt like I was getting a helping hand from above at times.

Nice Choc Protein finishing drink for a change, thanks. Only gripe was cut off to the climb just before half way, got there in 2:20 and was closed already (?)

The climb up Suikerbos?

I didn't find it as bad as previous versions - the wind help cool things down and was a tail wind in the last 20 k's. Did soak in that shower and also a dip at that last WP by the river, a must!

Cant say what went right, but I finished feeling good (besides having a stomach bug), even rode up the rock! Maybe it was me 'new' 650b Flash (The Black Panther) that gave me legs, felt like I was getting a helping hand from above at times.

Nice Choc Protein finishing drink for a change, thanks. Only gripe was cut off to the climb just before half way, got there in 2:20 and was closed already (?)

You would've made the cut off time on a 29er :ph34r:

You would've made the cut off time on a 29er :ph34r:

Unlikely: I was going as fast as I could and riding with the field, past most going up Suikerboissie - what was the cut off time? was it open at all this year? Saw some peeps coming down when the paths joined again at that gate,

My brother started in B batch and went past the halfway mark in just 2 hours and they did the climb up the mountain! He said it reminded him of climbs during the Absa Cape. Epic this year!

I started in C batch and we also did not go up the hill, so I am not sure when the diecided to close it!

I started in C batch and we also did not go up the hill, so I am not sure when the diecided to close it!

I started in D and went over the hill.....

Any idea when the results may be up?

Edited by eddy

+/-160 dnfs, around 20% of the field. Maybe not a record but very high.

What and hey said VG was. High DNF count :-)

Had an awesome ride, just think they should swop the dates of the Clarens event and the Crater - Clarens wont be as cold and Crater wont be as hot!

Had an awesome ride, just think they should swop the dates of the Clarens event and the Crater - Clarens wont be as cold and Crater wont be as hot!

i would second that! First time in my life I have dehydrated to the point of throwing up!

Alround I think it was a good event. Did the 23 with my 8 year old son (and we did not come last!). Also did the 40 and enjoyed (could have pushed harder, but I was too busy having fun). My wife and kids were busy all the time I was out cycling (always a plus!). It's nice to have a flattish race every now and again.

Think I'm in for the 103 next year, hope the heat s not as bad as it was on Saturday.

A friend did the 103, he had a tough race because of punctures, also struggled with breathing and later dehydrated so bad that he needed a drip after he finished. He did say there was a brilliant bunch in B batch that averaged about 36kmh on the tar until they left him behind on the first section of dirt road.

Had all the elements for tough day in the saddle and the very real issue of hydration. Hot, dry, dusty and windy.

Stellar performance by Johnlee Augstyn!

As usual, great organisation and vibe :)

Apparently the Elite Women prize money was reduced for another category, not on at all!