Indomitable Schurter claims consecutive World Title

Vetseun

Aaah... I thought you were chirping him ;)

Goes to show how difficult it can be to interpret the written (typed) word.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how the hell these guys ride these things.

I struggled to walk some of those...but I'm blaming a sore hip and the beer! Hahahahaha! But, ja, it was interesting to watch the practice sessions. Lots of riders were standing and talking about their lines. It seemed there is a definite delineation between those who think too much and those who just ride. For the latter it just seemed to be: have a quick look, point and shoot. There's a saying (I think) "Those who hesitate die". Even amongst the top guys this was evident. Schurter and Fumic were uber-smooth through the tech stuff, Hermida was more hesitant and took the longer, easier lines around. They would get about four or five seconds at a time on him, but the gutsy Spaniard pulled back the gap on the flats. You could identify the better tech riders by their posture through the rocks. The better riders seemed to be more over the centre of their bikes, sucking up the bumps through their arms. The less confident hung their bums far off the back, which would be great for a steep "roll-in", but once a big rock throws the back wheel, it seems a recipe for a faceplant.

Anyone with more details as to what exactly happened to my man Marco?

Yes.. cause he's my man too

first lap rock gardens, if you recall he was right on Nino's wheel, then he made a mistake at the bottom and came off and damaged his seat/saddle after first lap he had to stop at technical zone and have that sorted out, so lost plenty places!!

Buys has done extremely well and is ranked in the top 20 thus he had a good starting point. It will still come together for him. He is currently 25 and has only in the last two years competed consistently in Europe. He however needs to be backed by a European sponsor so that he can stay there during the year like Burry use to.

Yes he has and yes he is.

not sure if you guys saw the interview they had with him regarding the rock gardens.. poor oke, seems it's his nemesis.

And the only way to do that is to throw money at it.

Thus the need for a proper academy, one that can build up a slush fund , one that can find the real hungry and talented riders and develop them for the pride of their nation.

KZN Cycling Academy was recently established and is based at Lahee Park in Pinetown . It is being run by Fanie vd Walt (KZN Development Commissioner Cycling) Apparently the first of it's kind in the country. They are renting the old tennis club building. They have cut about 4,5km in total of single track around the park which is open to the public to go and ride at a donation of R10. They rely on donations in either cash or old parts to sustain the development riders. They have a performance testing facility as well as access to the performance testing facility at UKZN if I recall.

These guys barely generate enough income to make ends meet let alone buy equipment for development riders. Talented kids riding 8 year old bikes built up from a box of broken derailleurs and patched tubes.

Sponsors are putting money into individuals who have already shown talent because they are lucky enough to be in a position to be able to afford equipment and trainers that allow them to be at the sharp end of the field. What about the "poor kids" (of all colours before the mother grundies soil their undergarments....) that don't have access to that kind of funding?

THAT'S where some of their money needs to be spent.

Nothing like that High Performance Centre overseas..... but it is a step in the right direction.

Shurter's bike was much more fun oriented on XCE day - it had about a million multi coloured smiley faces on it!

Haha! They used those as markers for the DH guys the week before. (You needed two stickers which equated to two runs to be eligible for qualifying on Friday)

Its not about the bike

Big up to the guys from Lesotho, takes courage to race at that level if you have not had the exposure.

All though with the terrain they have at home the rock garden could have been their back garden

Our best SA rider has been tragically killed...or have you forgotten already?

No, I didn't forget. He went to Europe, didn't he? Proves my point.

Not a nice remark.

Edited by Spark

One of the Lesotho riders took a proper plant coming down the logs in the Amphitheatre. He hardly missed a beat from flying W, smacking the ground, summersault a few times then back on the bike. Tough and pumped.

Just as a matter of interest why is that?

I also thought about it long and hard.

He pretty much disappeared off the scene after his Olympic gold.

But I guess if he can get an 18th. at that level after all this time, he must have some pretty good legs left.

KZN Cycling Academy was recently established and is based at Lahee Park in Pinetown . It is being run by Fanie vd Walt (KZN Development Commissioner Cycling) Apparently the first of it's kind in the country. They are renting the old tennis club building. They have cut about 4,5km in total of single track around the park which is open to the public to go and ride at a donation of R10. They rely on donations in either cash or old parts to sustain the development riders. They have a performance testing facility as well as access to the performance testing facility at UKZN if I recall.

These guys barely generate enough income to make ends meet let alone buy equipment for development riders. Talented kids riding 8 year old bikes built up from a box of broken derailleurs and patched tubes.

Sponsors are putting money into individuals who have already shown talent because they are lucky enough to be in a position to be able to afford equipment and trainers that allow them to be at the sharp end of the field. What about the "poor kids" (of all colours before the mother grundies soil their undergarments....) that don't have access to that kind of funding?

THAT'S where some of their money needs to be spent.

Nothing like that High Performance Centre overseas..... but it is a step in the right direction.

All you said here brother, I like very much and agree with.

I will say that my biggest gripe is all the "sponsored" riders out there.

I mean why the hell would someone throw money in to someone because they became the first this, or that to finish the Epic.

Put that money in to an up and coming youngster.