Adverse Analytical Finding – SA XCO Champs [July 2013]

Matt

When I talk about those two things people become highly offended.

So I wont go there.

Let's just assume that hard training is all it take, and drugs of course.

Hard work and training will get you in the game. Talent and genetics will let you rise to the top. Doping will get you 7 Tdf titles........

With enough gym time and juice you'll probably get Chris Froome an MMA fight, but let's be honest, the chances of him wearing a championship belt are pretty slim....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not lapped on lap two, he was -2 (minus two) laps down on the leaders ... in other words in a seven lap race he was lapped on lap five.

I see it that he finished lap 5 after the leaders finished their final lap. So the leaders passed him twice on the course of which the last time would probably have been on lap five, but the first time would have been on lap 3 if I have to guess, unless he had mechanicals on lap 5 and was stuck there while the leaders did 2 laps.

Hijack

Very cool, was the year Mr Min won his first World champs and Ryder Hesjedal was racing Elite MTB for Canada

2 more pics of the downhill course at Lugano, including a Saffa (cannot remember who) riding a Morewood

post-182-0-94081000-1378235293_thumb.jpg

was looking at the results from the that year, sam hill and gee atherton were gold and silver in the juniors that year and interesting that Mick Hannah and Peat are the only other active DHer in 2003's top 10 elites

....and Burry was 68th in the junior DH......thats right DH, on a Morewood nogal.

Looking at the photos of Greg that year, he was still a laatie in 2003

The unknown rider in my photo is on a Morewood, looks a bit big for Burry tho

Didn't Burry also ride XC that year, I remember speaking to him and his dad in the pits at the time and thought he was doing both XC and DH...he used to do both in SA but might be wrong for this event.

With enough gym time and juice you'll probably get Chris Froome an MMA fight, but let's be honest, the chances of him wearing a championship belt are pretty slim....

They may be good in actual fact, check how skinny he is... his opponent must have bloody good aim to make contact

Hard work and training will get you in the game. Talent and genetics will let you rise to the top. Doping will get you 7 Tdf titles........

Ja, what you said.

I see it that he finished lap 5 after the leaders finished their final lap. So the leaders passed him twice on the course of which the last time would probably have been on lap five, but the first time would have been on lap 3 if I have to guess, unless he had mechanicals on lap 5 and was stuck there while the leaders did 2 laps.

Incorrect. He was in fact not lapped but pulled off because of the 80% rule. A number of the other riders were pulled off because of this rule and were in fact not actually passed by the leaders.

Basically the riders pulled off at the 80% area (just before the finish straight) were more than 80% outside of the leaders lap time eg. On a 15 min lap more than 12 min behind the leader.

The point at which the rider is pulled off is shown by the - lap number. In Phil's case he was coming in to complete his 5th lap whereas Niño was a large portion of his way through the 6th lap.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Didn't Burry also ride XC that year, I remember speaking to him and his dad in the pits at the time and thought he was doing both XC and DH...he used to do both in SA but might be wrong for this event.

think he only did DH, as far as I know, you can do DH world champs as a junior, when you are 16, 17 and 18 but XC for 17 and 18 only? so after that he concentrated on XC.....

the 80% rule is there to prevent the leaders from actually lapping back markers......

back in the day they used to limit the entrants to world cup events and had a xc race the day before for the unseeded guys, think those outside the top 50, and they raced like 2 laps and the top 30? or so could race the next day in the actual world cup.....

so now anyone with 1 UCI point can start a world cup and try and not get caught.....

not sure whats all the confsusion about the XCO rules, lapping etc.......we as a nation, really need to stop this marathon nonsense :)