Niner SIR9

Ryanpmb

So I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SIR9 frame.

Not the latest model with tapered headtube and 12x142 rear, but it is a brand new frame.

They run an EBB so the thinking is I will run it as my SS and gear my Cotic (or sell the Cotic :thumbdown:). I have a Niner EMD too which is great but I find the ally frame a little harsh (I have got it nice and light though) - I might sell this...

Anyway, I'm just looking for some thoughts, opinions, comments on the SIR9.

post-12909-0-98985300-1378378713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My comment more about the Niner EBB;

I have a NINER Air 9Carbon, and ABSOLUTELY in love with my bike.

The Niner EBB gave me grey hair, in the sense that it creaked and slipped.

The maintenance on this killed me, as I needed to re tighten after every ride.

With the Niner EBB I tried all 9 different methods of fitting, the carbo-grip option, the carbon assembly paste option, the plumbers tape option (this one, I got an even thicker plumbers-tape, and that was the closest I got to a slip and creak free EBB)

Now, I got tired of the hassle, and after some hours of research, I made contact with some guys in the US.

Bought my new Bushnell EBB about a year ago, fitted with a shim (for the niner's shell diameter) and a endless care free, creak free, adjustment free riding.

They have 2 models. I opted for the "retro" older one, as then the expanding force pushes out along the full shell vs the full EBB circumference, vs just the "shoulders" of the skeletonised "featherweight" EBB option.

Loving it, and now I have a TRULY "maintenance free" bike in my SS.

post-19310-0-81607500-1378379614_thumb.gif

post-19310-0-50624700-1378379615_thumb.gif

I have an identical one. Fantastic bikes - heavy as hell (compared to the EMD) but nice and floppy. All day riding comfort.

Word of caution - get the Biocentric II EBB. The first one is tough to tightem and squeals like a stuck pig.

I love mine. As you know I'm a Ninerphile but the SIR really does have that mystical steel ride quality. Did a 6 hour endurance race with a rigid fork and had zero discomfort.

Buy it :-)

Niner boy - the second generation Niner EBB has 2 thru bolts. I tightened mine once - no grease or Teflon. Been tight and squeak free since then -maybe 3000km?

Its called the Biocentric II. First one was terrible - agreed!

Do it...that is about all i have to add.

If its the one I am thinking of, you are getting it at a good price ryan, and I would have taken it if it was kermit...no jokes.

Enjoy and post pics when built

Edited by rouxtjie

...heavy as hell (compared to the EMD) but nice and floppy. All day riding comfort.

I was concerned regarding the weight - to be fair though, I should compare this to my Cotic weight as this is currently running SS. Should be similar if not lighter.

Don't think it's fair to compare it to my EMD as that's a different bike altogether (well I think so). Built that as my lightweight 1x10. Not so comfy but nice and light.

The SIR will be similar in weight to the Cotic but offer much better ride quality - I think?

Niner boy - the second generation Niner EBB has 2 thru bolts. I tightened mine once - no grease or Teflon. Been tight and squeak free since then -maybe 3000km?

Its called the Biocentric II. First one was terrible - agreed!

1st one was not terrible if installed correctly 1st time....

I have used the mark 2 and the mark 1 a LOT and I prefer the mark 1.

Current mark 1 has been ridden in snow and ice in NZ, survived a season of racing in Europe last year, did Freedom Challenge this year and is still silent, squeaky free, tight as a nuns ...... and doesn't slip a mm.

Needs to be installed correctly the 1st time though otherwise you will have issues.

I suppose with almost anything 1 bad experience now days gets broadcast all over the place but no, I completely disagree. 1 or 2 work fantastically well. I know because I have done thousands of KM on both (not basing my opinion on an article or something I have heard) and apart from the very 1st time I installed one incorrectly, neither have given me a second of hassle.

But each to their own.

Ryan, you used "sell" and "Cotic" in the same sentence, a sin punishable by death in some countries. Repent immediately with 500 hill intervals on your SS!

Ryan, you used "sell" and "Cotic" in the same sentence, a sin punishable by death in some countries. Repent immediately with 500 hill intervals on your SS!

I know. Feel bad! I did mention I may sell the EMD in the very next line... :D

Hi Ryan. What size is your emd? I have the exact same frame and colour but I think I need an xl. It is an awesome frame and don't want to let go unless I can find the same one in a bigger size. I can quite comfortably ride my current one but after 40km's it just feels like a bigger frame would have been better. I am 1,91m tall which is pretty much the limit for a large frame. Let me know!

Cheers

Hi Ryan. What size is your emd? I have the exact same frame and colour but I think I need an xl. It is an awesome frame and don't want to let go unless I can find the same one in a bigger size. I can quite comfortably ride my current one but after 40km's it just feels like a bigger frame would have been better. I am 1,91m tall which is pretty much the limit for a large frame. Let me know!

Cheers

Hi Noodle. Medium size frame so it won't work for you...

• 4 weeks later...

So I have an opportunity to get my hands on a SIR9 frame.

Not the latest model with tapered headtube and 12x142 rear, but it is a brand new frame.

They run an EBB so the thinking is I will run it as my SS and gear my Cotic (or sell the Cotic :thumbdown:). I have a Niner EMD too which is great but I find the ally frame a little harsh (I have got it nice and light though) - I might sell this...

Anyway, I'm just looking for some thoughts, opinions, comments on the SIR9.

post-12909-0-98985300-1378378713_thumb.jpg

FOR WHO EVER READS THIS I WANT TO BUY A LARGE GREEN

PRETTY PLEASE