Assaulted rider on the Spruit

Paulst12

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

wow!...

Did you know that this bloke is one of the most respected advocates in South Africa... That he is the most gentle and kind man you will ever meet... He has no issues with anyone... and riding whilst having chemo does not make for a fast ride...

I can assure you that he did not instigate this...

and to all you guys who want so much to define lycra-clad cyclists as "uncool"... very sad day in my eyes...

I have ridden the spruit many times and I can tell you that I greet everyone i ride past... and so do all of my mates... the people with the issue in my mind are the people who walk their stupid F**ing dogs without a leash!!!

This man is in his 50's and is a cancer ninja... he loves everyone and everything... for him to have stopped to make an issue of the situation, means that it was intentional!

To the chop who did this... you are not just a coward... and to make a joke of hitting an old man from behind..tut... karma is a biiiiitch!

Hey All, simple observation. My wife rides socially, MTB &Road, and walks the dogs regularly at Emmarentia and has commented on the attitude of the cycists there. (Obviously MTBer's on the spruit have ATTITUDE)

Simple rules:

Everyone have respect.

Sorry your Strava attempt failed due to a dog walking a person.

Dogs and people were there before MTB's. (let's not count the decades)

If one forgets about respect, get on a road bike and have attitude with the cars and lunatics on the road.You will learn or die trying to earn that respect, and no one will care anyway.

We all ride, and we need to ask the simple question, WHY are we riding, for the pleasure of it, or to prove a F**ing point

what time did it happen?

Im going to go ride around there looking for them just to piss them off.

Riders and dog walkers are to blame for this.

There are still quite a few riders that "fly" along the trail narrowly missing other riders, runners, walkers and dogs (yes the dogs should be on leads)

anyway these riders piss ppl off till you get some tjop like this that thinks he must now teach cyclists a lesson and go out of their way to cause conflict.

I heard of something similar to this not too long ago.

Hey All, simple observation. My wife rides socially, MTB &Road, and walks the dogs regularly at Emmarentia and has commented on the attitude of the cycists there. (Obviously MTBer's on the spruit have ATTITUDE)

Simple rules:

Everyone have respect.

If one forgets about respect, get on a road bike and have attitude with the cars and lunatics on the road.You will learn or die trying to earn that respect, and no one will care anyway.

We all ride, and we need to ask the simple question, WHY are we riding, for the pleasure of it, or to prove a F**ing point

Just for the record...

I have not met one bad tempered MTB'er on the spruit in 2 years...

But I have crashed into 2 idiot dogs and have the scars to show for it... both times the dogs were not on a leash... and both ignoramuses laughed about it and did not think they did anything wrong...

NEWSFLASH!!! if you take your dog out of your yard... its your responsibility to ensure they are on a leash... and even then... its your responsibility to make sure no-one gets hurt as a result of their stupidity! Its the Law!

and just because peole have been walking their dogs illegally for decades... it does not mean they are entitled to disobeying the law now... some people make such naive arguments... [sic]

Just for the record...

I have not met one bad tempered MTB'er on the spruit in 2 years...

But I have crashed into 2 dogs with Idiot's as owners and have the scars to show for it... both times the dogs were not on a leash... and both ignoramuses laughed about it and did not think they did anything wrong...

NEWSFLASH!!! if you take your dog out of your yard... its your responsibility to ensure they are on a leash... and even then... its your responsibility to make sure no-one gets hurt as a result of their stupidity! Its the Law!

and just because peole have been walking their dogs illegally for decades... it does not mean they are entitled to disobeying the law now... some people make such naive arguments... [sic]

fixed

If it is a case of dogs on leashes (as a by law) then we should set a speed limit for MTBers.

Both are *** options (IMHO). It's a simple mutual respect (and in my opion MTBers lack it the most 'in general' on the spruit). If people can't afford to 'lose' 5 seconds slowing down for a dog, a child on a bike, some noob rattling away on an MTB for the 1st time then it needs to no longer be their decision (read: regulated speed & paths). Everybody loses. So chill out and try to enjoy your ride.

If it is a case of dogs on leashes (as a by law) then we should set a speed limit for MTBers.

Both are *** options (IMHO). It's a simple mutual respect (and in my opion MTBers lack it the most 'in general' on the spruit). If people can't afford to 'lose' 5 seconds slowing down for a dog, a child on a bike, some noob rattling away on an MTB for the 1st time then it needs to no longer be their decision (read: regulated speed & paths). Everybody loses. So chill out and try to enjoy your ride.

So many threads pop up on the hub every week asking about what brakes to buy but people seem to fit these to decorate their bars.

Respect everybody and they will respect you in return.

hahah...

You need to pass that law before you can set a speed limit... but by all means go ahead.

I have not seen the people you speak of "who cant loose 5 seconds" and anyway... if its important to them and they are abiding by the law... and not injuring anyone... then good for them... you guys get all pompous when people ride faster than you...

You guys need the chill pills

!!GO LANCE GO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hahah...

You need to pass that law before you can set a speed limit... but by all means go ahead.

I have not seen the people you speak of "who cant loose 5 seconds" and anyway... if its important to them and they are abiding by the law... and not injuring anyone... then good for them... you guys get all pompous when people ride faster than you...

You guys need the chill pills

!!GO LANCE GO!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Goya, not to try and argue with you, but just being honest here.

You keep saying that these riders "don't exist"

They are there, and some are damn unmannered .

It's also not about being pompous, if a rider wants to show off his speed, that is what race day is for.

In this case I side with the cyclist and I think what happened to him is totally uncalled for.

But I will part with this, The Spruit is not a race track, neither a speed or interval session opportunity.

The magnitude of traffic it draws at times should let one apply that logic, regardless.

As for people and their dogs, it's similar to cyclists and cars.

Drivers feel that we are breaking the law in many ways and we feel vulnerable when a car brushes past us.

A bicycle with a drugged up digital EPO user must be a similar threat to a walker and their pet.

Also remember this, people were walking along The Spruit long before mountain bikers started utilising the place.

So why can't we all just be the bigger person and slow down when we approach them .

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Is it legally prudent for an alleged victim to take to social media if he or she intends taking legal or civil action in a case like this?

Edited by Tumbleweed

Goya, not to try and argue with you, but just being honest here.

You keep saying that these riders "don't exist"

They are there, and some are damn unmannered .

It's also not about being pompous, if a rider wants to show off his speed, that is what race day is for.

In this case I side with the cyclist and I think what happened to him is totally uncalled for.

But I will part with this, The Spruit is not a race track, neither a speed or interval session opportunity.

The magnitude of traffic it draws at times should let one apply that logic, regardless.

As for people and their dogs, it's similar to cyclists and cars.

Drivers feel that we are breaking the law in many ways and we feel vulnerable when a car brushes past us.

A bicycle with a drugged up digital EPO user must be a similar threat to a walker and their pet.

Also remember this, people were walking along The Spruit long before mountain bikers started utilising the place.

So why can't we all just be the bigger person and slow down when we approach them .

HOW DARE YOU SAY WE MUST BE THE BIGGER PERSON......... WE ARE THE BIGGER PERSON!!!!!!!

We own the spruit, we own the shoulder, we own the intersections, stuff the pedestrians, motorists, 26 wheelers on our route, our bikes are way more expensive and faster than his dog's leash!!!!!! We have been taught since childhood not to give way, do not cry, do not be a sissy!!!!!!!

We cry in unison when a cyclist dies but then climb on our bikes and stuff around again and again and again untill the next one does someting wrong to a cyclist. We then cry, tear our clothes and throw ash on our heads .......... but we never learn.......

.......we are so friggen stupid.

Edited by Big H*

Simple rules:

Everyone have respect.

Just to confirm, you are of the opinion that roadies have no respect?

If the guy swore at/threatened the lady, he deserved a snotklap - end of story. Taking into account practical experience, very few riders will, after being bumped by an oncoming rider, politely state:

"Excuse me madam, your path of travel inadvertently crossed with mine, and your handlebar bruised my rib cartilage to such an extent that it might discolor during the course of this training event, and I am unhappy about it".

Bottomline - if he said anything, he probably deserved the snotklap.

Wrong.