AA -The Avid Appreciation society

PhilipV

Recently went from Avid elixir 1's to Avid juicy ultimate's.

Massive difference in feel, bedding in new pads but already front has way more stopping power. Rear feels a bit soft but probably just needs to bed in properly, dont use much rear brake.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Ride: Sram Guide Brakes

http://reviews.mtbr.com/first-ride-sram-guide-brakes

In summary, we think this is a huge step for SRAM to get a brake that is competitive with the current leaders today. The lever and reservoir in particular looks a bit big and the rotor doesn’t look to have all the design elements of the Ice Tech Shimano rotors. But the power and modulation are all there and this system seems intuitive and easy to control. If reliability checks out as they claim, we should see a lot more of these brakes on bikes in the future.

Recently went from Avid elixir 1's to Avid juicy ultimate's.

Massive difference in feel, bedding in new pads but already front has way more stopping power. Rear feels a bit soft but probably just needs to bed in properly, dont use much rear brake.

So after a few months of use and I am still happy with my brakes.

Rear bedded in nicely and I actually use them plenty, helps turn the bike nicely in the tight twisty bits.

The front is starting to go a bit soft, might need a bleed and yes they do squeal like a skewered pig, at times!!!

My wheelset is QR and these calipers need to be rest everytime a wheel is reinstalled which was not an issue with my Elixir 3 calipers these replaced.

@Iwan, was drooling over those guide's in the latest thread. look really neat in the silver finish!!

no problem with avids here. First thing I do is swap out the pads for resin pads.

Avids stops my bike just fine.

• 2 months later...

I moved from Avid to Shimano due to my elexir 3''s front caliper seizing down oom piet's at VG.

I have now returned to the world of Avid, as I received a set of Elexir 7's that has been fitted to my SS.

They were free, so i cant complain.

Was happy with my Avids before they died on me.

At first I thought this was the Friday fight club thread!

Just realized it's a real thread, wow!

Still running 2007 Juicy 5's on the On One for about 3 years now, after they gave excellent service on the XTC and Shova.

Only had to bleed them once since 2007. Just change the pads and go.

On the other bike I have Elixir 5's, not bad at all. Wrote the front brake off in a crash so running a SLX and Elixir 5 mix.

I also like my Avids.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Cheers

Just upgraded from my trusty Juicy Three's to Elixer R's. Boy, what a difference. Front brake especialy is potent.

(running on 180mm Rotor)

• 3 weeks later...

Been running a set of Avid Elixr CR's (Compliments of Swissvan) on the SS now for a while and they are really really a lovely set of brakes, great lever shape, good feel and potent with not a moments issues.

• 1 month later...

My new bike came with Elixer 7 Trail brakes and these things are fantastic. Took a ride or two to bed in and the power is great. Had Elixer 5's on my previous bike and always liked the feel but the new Trails have a lot more power.

Apparently, the new SRAM Guides, R-model, which dont have the fancy cam lever action used in the RSC model, utilises a lever mechanism that's practically the same as the lever mechanism on the X0 Trails, but has been slightly modified to decrease the deadband, ie decreased the amount of lever travel before the brakes engage.

Hard to imagine the X0 Trails could be improved, but there we go. Irrespective, the item of note with all models of Guides versus all other avid brakes (except the old Juicy brakes), is the increased brake fluid volume. I had in an earlier thread/post, posited that the problem with air and avid brakes, was the lack of volume in the Elixir lever body. My theory was based on the reliability of the Avid Codes. They use the exact same lever body design as the lower model Elixirs except in one regard: size. Code lever bodies are massive in comparison to all other Elixir models.

Braking power wise, Elixir and Guides are the same IMO. The big difference is When that power becomes available, and the lever action (RSC model): it has a consistently firmer feel right through the range of lever travel.

• 2 months later...

After less than 3 months I've already had to bleed my Wife's XT brakes after they became spongey.

With the Avids on my bikes, the sum total of maintenance was to move the caliper slightly when I put on a different wheel, and one pair of pads. That is on two bikes both equipped with avid elixir.

• 4 months later...

Took me a while to realize that there is a solid step-up from my braking surface to the rotor spiders...so I bought a new rear-rotor from Veloguy today  :thumbup:

Should I replace the pads as well?

Archived