Coaches-cum-selectors?

macclemore

Having spent a fair number of years observing the local racing scene and watching our youngsters try and make a career out of the sport I must say I was quite shocked this past weekend to learn that one of our national selectors is also a coach.

I gather Dr Jeroen Swart is a coach/owner in a Cape Town based company called Science2sport as well as one of three national high performance selectors? What's more, apparently he is on the board of Drug Free Sport South Africa as well as owns his own nutrition company, called Cadence?

Talk about a conflict of interests? I mean, I have an aspiring sub-junior youngster, but clearly if I don't have the right coach he's not going anywhere. What's more, if he grows up and indirectly takes the wrong supplement, he may just sit in front of a panel and recieve a stern 'I told you to take my supplement, not theirs?' :eek:

Doesn't seem right to me :thumbdown:

Edited by macclemore

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

coming on here and accusing probably the countries leading sports scientist of being biased is just plain ridiculous! maybe consider looking up the Dr's credentials before making assumptions like this!

macclemore - as in life hard work pays off. Do not stress over who is coaching who and what your competitors are doing. Results will score in the end, prove your self on the tracks before worrying about issues which may or may not be there.

coming on here and accusing probably the countries leading sports scientist of being biased is just plain ridiculous! maybe consider looking up the Dr's credentials before making assumptions like this!

Jeroen posts here from time to time - let the man speak for himself... there is potential for a massive conflict of interest.

One hopes he excuses himself from the selection panel for his clients.

I also feel it is wrong... It needs to be individual and professional...

In few years ago he does not want to coach me because he is too busy...

Jeroen posts here from time to time - let the man speak for himself... there is potential for a massive conflict of interest.

Spot on, few people are probably better qualified to judge these things, but the obvious conflict of interest needs to be avoided...

Anyone with inside knowledge on how rider selection works?

If one persons occupies four different positions that may be overlapping, I also see a problem.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the person is biased - the risk that he might be is the problem.

On the other hand, if he excuses himself from the panel for his clients (as V12man suggested), that may solve the problem.

He is one of several people on the selection panel, do you really think that he will influence a selection because he coaches someone? come on!! results speak louder than words! if he is a very successful coach and his riders get results whats wrong with that?

sorry, call me gullible if you want but i am really struggling to see the problem here!

here is a guy that has dedicated his life to the sport and now we want to question his ethics because he has a number of pokers in the fire? not cool IMO

Having spent a fair number of years observing the local racing scene and watching our youngsters try and make a career out of the sport I must say I was quite shocked this past weekend to learn that one of our national selectors is also a coach.

I gather Dr Jeroen Swart is a coach/owner in a Cape Town based company called Science2sport as well as one of three national high performance selectors? What's more, apparently he is on the board of Drug Free Sport South Africa as well as owns his own nutrition company, called Cadence?

Talk about a conflict of interests? I mean, I have am aspiring sub-junior youngster, but clearly if I don't have the right coach he's not going anywhere. What's more, if he grows up and indirectly takes the wrong supplement, he may just sit in front of a panel and recieve a stern 'I told you to take my supplement, not theirs?' :eek:

Doesn't seem right to me :thumbdown:

Is it that hard to wait until Friday...?!?! :blink:

Have to wonder whats the real reason for this complaint. Seems like there are more behind this moan session!