How to become faster

ADe

I have been going at this Tri thing for about 2 years now and now want to start focusing on speed. Up to now I wasn't to worried about time, but I feel that I have the "base" miles under the belt now and have set some new goals for IM70.3 and IMSA.

My first goal is to do 70.3 in under 5:45 (currently 6:50ish). How should I change my training?

What would be the most effective sessions for each of the disciplines to incorporate in my training? I currently do one interval session per week for cycling and running and one speed/sprint session for swimming and also one recovery and endurance session for each per week.

Not a triathlete but what I would think is to first find out where you are losing the most time,

Run/Swim or bike.

Work on that discipline first to try cut as much time as possible.

15% decrease in time will take a fair bit of effort as well.

my guess would be:

swim - have a session or two with a proper coach and get your stroke techique checked out. Then maybe join a training group and get advise and ideas on different programs to follow:

bike - buy one of those awesome tt bikes for sale on thehub and get your bike position checked, the train longer and harder

run - don't know as never been great at running

I would say work on your run. The swim is short and in the beginning. They run is probably where people lose the most time.

I am not a tri-athlete but heard you must work on a 5, 4 , 3 sessions per week on training. 5 session is for your weakest discipline and 3 your best discipline.

www.dinamic-coaching.com

I went from being a mid-pack Duathlete in 2011 to winning the 40+ Age group at the I-Flex series in 2013. You can only get so far on a generic program - if you want to get that last 20% which will move you from mid-pack to podium you have to investigate an individual program which caters for your strengths and your weaknesses.

IMO, if you have one discipline that is significantly weaker than the other 2, obviously work on that discipline. Relativly speaking, the swim is short comapred to to the bike and run, so a 5% increase in speed is not going to result in a major decrease in your overall time. But a 5% increase in speed on the bike and run (depending on the distance) will result in a significant decrease in time. Agree with Andyr249, many people loose it on the run, but that is normally due to pushing to hard on the bike, and bonking on the run. If this is the case, make friends with Mr Brick sessions, and get use to running off the bike.

Depending on your tansition speeds, you can also save a good 5-8min, if you practice those, depending on how quick or slow you are now, Its time for free really.

You alse need to train at the same intensity that you aim to race at if you a 7min per km training runner, you are not going to run a 4min per km come race day.

The annoying thing about getting faster is that its not only based on training, you'll need to nail the taper and nutrition as well, otherwise you gonna have a bad day out.

But thats just my opinion, :thumbup:

Hi ADe. How about posting what your current week's training looks like for all three and times and level of training?

Hi ADe. How about posting what your current week's training looks like for all three and times and level of training?

My average current training week would look something like this:

Mo: R: 30min recovery pace; S: 45m technique/drills

Tue: R: 90 min endurance pace

Wed: B: 1hr interval: 3 x 15min intervals threshold pace+90s recovery; S: 1.5km speed workout: Various 25m sprints, drills, 2 timed 200m time trials.

Thu: R: 40-50 min interval: 4 x 4min threshold pace+2 min recovery; S: 1.5 km endurance pace

Fr: rest

Sat: 2:30hr Brick: Bike: 2:10+run 20 min. Both easy pace

Sun: B: 2hr recovery pace

My weakest discipline would be the cycling. Swimming about average. My strongest my running, but as someone else has said, you need to have the legs after the bike. The last two 70.3's I did the half marathon in over 2:15. I do stand alone half marathons in 1:40. The thing that gets to me are those rolling hills on the 70.3 course. We don't have many hills to train on here in my area. I climb quite well in races like the Argus, where you get the big climbs, but not those constant hills up and down.

Edited by ADe

I have been going at this Tri thing for about 2 years now and now want to start focusing on speed. Up to now I wasn't to worried about time, but I feel that I have the "base" miles under the belt now and have set some new goals for IM70.3 and IMSA.

My first goal is to do 70.3 in under 5:45 (currently 6:50ish). How should I change my training?

What would be the most effective sessions for each of the disciplines to incorporate in my training? I currently do one interval session per week for cycling and running and one speed/sprint session for swimming and also one recovery and endurance session for each per week.

Swim, Ride, and Run, downhill...

Wed: B: 1hr interval: 3 x 15min intervals threshold pace+90s recovery; S: 1.5km speed workout: Various 25m sprints, drills, 2 timed 200m time trials.

Thu: R: 40-50 min interval: 4 x 4min threshold pace+2 min recovery; S: 1.5 km endurance pace

My weakest discipline would be the cycling. Swimming about average. My strongest my running, but as someone else has said, you need to have the legs after the bike. The last two 70.3's I did the half marathon in over 2:15. I do stand alone half marathons in 1:40. The thing that gets to me are those rolling hills on the 70.3 course. We don't have many hills to train on here in my area. I climb quite well in races like the Argus, where you get the big climbs, but not those constant hills up and down.

You are biking too hard. 1:40 to 2:15 is too much. I run a sub 90 half and about 1:35-1:38 off the bike.

1. Get a coach (dinamic is the way to go)

2. Consider a power meter. Will help you get the optimal (not maximal) bike split.

Get your running to be your strongest discipline.

Focus on interval running, incline as steep as your neighbourhood allows.

With your newfound superhuman fitness your swimming would have improved by default.

Thereafter you can finetune your cycling by improving technique.

And learn to eat and hydrate properly.

Guest Latent Blue
Get a red bike..... red bikes ARE faster

And thats experience talking. Listen up

If your HIM run is that far off of your open HM time then you are biking too hard.

I would guess your HIM run should be around 1:55 (~15% longer than your open time).

Out of your 3 bike sessions only 1 is hard. Your brick bike is "easy" and your sunday ride is "recovery". I'd ride the saturday ride harder and forget about the brick session every single week.

All that IMHO obviously.