Slow puncture on tubeless

W1Z@RD

Hi Guys,

I recently converted to Tubeless and its been great. two weeks ago I got my first puncture - hear the pssssss and then it stooped. Used a bomb and was back up and riding in less than a minute.

Since then, I have noticed that my tyre is always going flat after about 2 hours.... need to keep topping it up. I can hear the liquid in the wheel so its not that I have run out of goo. i have checked to see for cuts or holes, but nothing visible.

iF i ride 4 hours, need to air up every hour or so....

What could be the issue?

Appreciate any help

bombs and sealant. some would say that's a very bad combo. but anyway, your leak.

As a starting point, other than the Bomb+sealant potential problem, I'd suggest you answer the following: where can't the sealant reach? Tyre bead area comes to mind. Had a puncture there in a maxxis tyre in that area. Was big so pretty quick to find. Maybe check there?

otherwise, just roll the inflated wheel through a level of water, or use soapy water, and check for bubbles.

Or just sponge some soapy water on the bead to see if its leaking there? There is a procedure to prepare the tyre to seal properly in on Stans notubes web site btw.

Could also be the sealing of the spoke holes / tape?

Or just a bad tyre - I've had to give up on an (expense) Pacenti Quasi Moto MTB due to it not being able to keep the pressure, no matter what I did.

Used a bomb and was back up and riding in less than a minute.

What could be the issue?

Appreciate any help

The Bomb most likely caused your problem.

If you open up your tire, you'll most likely find a booger or ball of coagulated latex.

long story short, the CO2 causes a pH change that in turn causes the latex to coagulate. (latex needs an basic environment to stay liquid)

alternatively fill your bath at home to the level of your valve and see if you cant find where the leak is, like you would do with a tube.

let me just say, bombs are still a good thing to have in your saddle bag for emergencies as a get home or to help get to the finish.

They just shouldn't be used to seat a new tires at home, rather use a compressor or floor pump if the tire sits tight enough on the rim.

Put the wheel in the bath and look for the bubbles.Just had the same issue and it turned out that the valve had blocked with sealant.Bought two new valves and it's holding air again.

Work out where it's leaking (use a bath, soapy water, etc)

If it's in the tyre body or bead area.......replace the sealant (keep the booger to show others ;)

If it's from around the nipples or the valve stem, it's possible that the sealant has worked it's way past the tape/strip...replace the strip/tape and the sealant.

+++use bombs in emergencies.

Hope this helps

I hate the sight of white blood.Nothing worse that getting to your bike and all ready for your ride.....only to find this.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/9871943096_8c4569b689_c.jpg

Someone earlier mentioned to check the tyre bead, I had the same hassles and found a puncture just next to the bead, I replaced the tyre and no problem! Also make sure you shake the bottle of sealant properly before putting it in your tyre! I always use more sealant than is suggested! Check that your valve isn't leaking? I always only use Stan's any other sealant does not seem to work as well as Stan's does!

I hate the sight of white blood.Nothing worse that getting to your bike and all ready for your ride.....only to find this.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2810/9871943096_8c4569b689_c.jpg

Ah I hate it when this happens

Pump your tyres to maximum recommended pressure. The leak should be clearly visable at higher pressure. Then ensure the leak is at the lowest point and bounce the tyre so as much sealant goes to the leaking area. Once sealed drop the pressure back to normal pressure.

Then ensure the leak is at the lowest point and bounce the tyre so as much sealant goes to the leaking area.

Or plug the hole if it is the tread