2013 Road World Champs

igknot

Interesting that Martin won clinchers. 24.2mm and pumped to 8 bar.

Interesting. In theory, heavier wheels will be better on most routes that does not have big mountains. Clinchers have also shown less rolling resistance than tubbies in the few tests that have been done. This goes against the traditional belief that light tubbies pumped extremely hard are faster.

(he also ignored the Merckx/Amstrong thing of turning a lighter gear at a higher cadence)

I like it!

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. In theory, heavier wheels will be better on most routes that does not have big mountains. Clinchers have also shown less rolling resistance than tubbies in the few tests that have been done. This goes against the traditional belief that light tubbies pumped extremely hard are faster.

(he also ignored the Merckx/Amstrong thing of turning a lighter gear at a higher cadence)

I like it!

The Lance stuff of a high cadence is very person specific. Both Wiggins and Cancellara were doing a much higher cadence, but then again they have smaller thighs. I think cadence is all about build and body type. I’m sure they are pushing much lower top end power when compared to Martin. Martin just did what comes naturally to himself. If that is pushing a big gear so be it. If you need to spin and you’re gaining forward momentum at the quickest possible rate, then do that.

I like it!

Well in fact he rode an 58/12(4.833), just a tad higher than a 53/11(4.818). Apparently the chain bends less and its easier to turn a bigger sprocket, ie 12 easier than 11 because of less chain links around the cassette.

None the less, still a huge effort to turn 58/12 all the way for 57.9km.

My favorite Tony Martin quote: "if you drink, you loose."

If you need to spin and you’re gaining forward momentum at the quickest possible rate, then do that.

Ahhh I do love a good marketing line.

Nothing personal but damn that sentence is a load of codswallop.

Momentum is a combination of mass and velocity and given that a cyclist can't really change his mass while he's riding it's just velocity isn't it? Plus - velocity is a vector and cyclists tend to change dirtection so you'd be better served using the word "speed".

The word forward is also kind of superflous really considering riding backwards is counter productive.

A cyclist can only go at their own rate not the quickest possible rate. Plus you can't keep gaining speed because the n you'd be constantly accelerating which makes the tight and cobbled corners in Firenze a bit tricky.

Man oh man I've been sitting in too many meetings where this kind of faux language is the order of the day.

"We need to optimise resources to allow a paradigm shift that will facilitate a growth in results" and such like.

Sorry Bianhidude - just blowing off some steam :-)

I wonder if I can term the phrase marketspeakaphobia?

I like it!

Agreed!

I like anyone who flies in the face of "the norm" and wins.

I reckon modern materials and manufacturing techniques have closed the gap between clincher and tubby. Now that full carbon clincher rims exist the weight difference can't be huge.

@bianchisti - agreed also. Within limits the best rpm to use if the one you're most comfortable with. That said - try using a power meter and running the same power at different rpm - the results may surprise you!

The benefits of a higher cadence for riders at professional level is probably negligible on such a short flat TT distance.

High cadence pedaling is not done to increase power output but rather to produce more or less the same power output for longer periods with less muscle fatigue.

Throw in a few climbs and double the distance and then see the low cadence power cyclists fade...

Does anyone have the power / cadence stats for TM,Wiggo and FC from yesterday? Would be interesting to compare the cadence and watts output. I never saw the race so have no idea what kind of cadence they rode with.

The benefits of a higher cadence for riders at professional level is probably negligible on such a short flat TT distance.

High cadence pedaling is not done to increase power output but rather to produce more or less the same power output for longer periods with less muscle fatigue.

Throw in a few climbs and double the distance and then see the low cadence power cyclists fade...

Does anyone have the power / cadence stats for TM,Wiggo and FC from yesterday? Would be interesting to compare the cadence and watts output. I never saw the race so have no idea what kind of cadence they rode with.

From what I heard, Wiggo and Fabian had a good cadence, I guess Martin not so high.

Technically, if all 3 basically weigh the same, the power will be almost identical, differences will be caused by aero setup and all. That said, their cadence and torque values would be of more interest.

Well in fact he rode an 58/12(4.833), just a tad higher than a 53/11(4.818). Apparently the chain bends less and its easier to turn a bigger sprocket, ie 12 easier than 11 because of less chain links around the cassette.

None the less, still a huge effort to turn 58/12 all the way for 57.9km.

My favorite Tony Martin quote: "if you drink, you loose."

ja good post. I think I am going to find me one of those BEEEG blades and stick a 12/28 on the back wheel. The eyes will be drawn to the frisbee on the front not whats going on at the back - so its got to up my cred on the start line (admittedly I will be coming off a low base so should not be hard to do) :thumbup:

“I have been training in Italy last week but my form is not improving. It’s no use just to ride this race when I can’t have a good result..."

Roman Kreuziger, not starting on Sunday

Elite Road Race:

Porte vs Froome

Valverde vs Quintana

Etc

Lots of interesting and kinda surreal rivalry in national colours for the PROs

Home race advantage for Nibali ?

Spanish trio Valverde, Rodriguez and Contadoris

Lots of potential winners

My bet for the weekend Philli Gilli for the double and Chris Froome because its time an African won it

Go Darryl