Litterbugs....should we name them?

Guest Smimby

It's because of a lack of confrontation and straightforwardness that people just do as they please.

They don't need to be educated, they need to be reminded of the education they received.

Exactly they need a good hiding.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not just in cycling

People throw their crap out car windows ,in the street,anywhere.Their is no culture of cleanliness in south africa

Try throwing your chewing gum in the street in Thailand or Singapore and see what happens to you.You are fined

When I back packed through Malawi I was struck by how clean it was .No one throws away anything

Botswana is like a rubbish dump.People just back their bakkie into the bush and throw out all their crap.Ignorance reigns

the other day at a robot i saw a guy throw his KFC packet out his window. i knew the robot was a long wait so i got out my car and picked up the packet and threw it back threw the open window. man did he get such a freight that he just pulled away. haha.

yes i know in retro-spec he could have thought i was a high jacker or something and shoot me, but it was so quick and simple that he had no time to react.

I think that this incident (plus innumerable similar ones) highlights the difference between mountain bikers and people who ride mountain bikes........ or maybe, to be more general, between cyclists and those who ride bicycles.........

I think that this incident (plus innumerable similar ones) highlights the difference between mountain bikers and people who ride mountain bikes........ or maybe, to be more general, between cyclists and those who ride bicycles.........

Really? What exactly does that mean? Are you better than us, because you're a "mountain biker"? You're just showing your elitist tendencies. Don't take this rant personally, I was just getting worked up reading these 9 pages of rubbish (excuse the pun)!

Edited by andydude

Really? What exactly does that mean? Are you better than us, because you're a "mountain biker"? You're just showing your elitist tendencies. Don't take this rant personally, I was just getting worked up reading these 9 pages of rubbish (excuse the pun)!

You were not forced to read all 9 pages :mellow:

I think he meant that people that have a passion for the sport won't do something to breakdown the image of the cycling community. Unfortunately you do get people that just started riding and have not yet learned what is acceptable in the sport and what the consequences of their actions are like littering and land owners refusing to allow cyclists on their land.

Now that I'm worked up, and I'm playing devil's advocate, what should the guy have done? Throw the wrapper in the bin at the end? Do you know what happens to the bin. They (municipality) throw it out behind the hill and try to bury it. But oh yes, I don't see it so it doesn't bother me.

Aarrgg can somebody please buy me a beer?! I need one... or two... and a funny joke.

I think he meant that people that have a passion for the sport won't do something to breakdown the image of the cycling community. Unfortunately you do get people that just started riding and have not yet learned what is acceptable in the sport and what the consequences of their actions are like littering and land owners refusing to allow cyclists on their land.

Cool if that's what he meant. It's not a cycling thing, but how you were brought up. It's very difficult to change entrenched behaviour built up over 10 or 20 years.

Oh purleeeze..... I come (since 1989) from MTB (never rode a road bike in my life, apart from a cast iron drop car BSA three speed in the late 60's), hence my emphasis on mountain bikers.... plus, access issues are more likely to arise from the abuse of the MTB "fields of play" rather than littering on a public road...... which, IMHO, is no less of a travesty......

Now that I'm worked up, and I'm playing devil's advocate, what should the guy have done? Throw the wrapper in the bin at the end? Do you know what happens to the bin. They (municipality) throw it out behind the hill and try to bury it. But oh yes, I don't see it so it doesn't bother me.

Aarrgg can somebody please buy me a beer?! I need one... or two... and a funny joke.

beers next time i see you

• Two Nuns were riding a tandem along Wapping Warf in Bristol. The Nun on the back seat (the stoker) remarked "I've never come this way before", the reply "Must be the cobble stones"

• hahaha
  • Two Nuns were riding a tandem along Wapping Warf in Bristol. The Nun on the back seat (the stoker) remarked "I've never come this way before", the reply "Must be the cobble stones"

Oh purleeeze..... I come (since 1989) from MTB (never rode a road bike in my life, apart from a cast iron drop car BSA three speed in the late 60's), hence my emphasis on mountain bikers.... plus, access issues are more likely to arise from the abuse of the MTB "fields of play" rather than littering on a public road...... which, IMHO, is no less of a travesty......

Please accept my apology.

Signed, roadie and mountain biker (but only started in 2011), but most of all, a cyclist and lover of life.

:)

Thanks!

Perhaps organisers should incorporate a cleaning fee in all entries. Sure its not cool to pay for something that is not our fault but most of us already do. We pay for security companies to monitor our belongings because our police service is incapable etc. In that way organisers can create jobs by getting people to do a sweep of the route after a race and pick up any litter left behind. But if they do this they should stipulate that its for cleaning so that people can see why their entry fee goes up.

Sadly this will cause people to abuse the service and you will see people throwing litter all over the place.