Avid Elixir 9 brake noise

Outdoorboy

Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate your advice. I have a set of Avid elixir 9's on my cannondale flash. Got the bike less than a month ago. So the brakes are brand new. The problem is they squeal a lot, both the front and rear brakes. It is going to drive me crazy. Is there anything that I can do or let a bike shop do for me to solve this problem?

This is a much discussed topic here, as you will see if you do a search.

The consensus of the hub experts seems to be that Avids are just crap, and need to be changed to Shimano.

I have the exact same problem, but I just live with the noise, embarrassing and annoying as it is.

If you can afford it go shimano but i have avids and i've made peace with the noise and now just live with it. except for the noise i have no issues with them.

Is there anything that I can do or let a bike shop do for me to solve this problem?

Yes

1. Throw them in the rubbish.
  2. Get Shimano SLX or XT
  3. Thank us later :thumbup:

I think its the rotors - running XT brakes with Avid rotors was as noisy as full Avid

Avid rotors warp instantly at the slightest addition of heat. In fact I've never actually run any of my Avids brakes with their rotors. The rotors are the part that gets thrown away.

Hi everyone!

I would really appreciate your advice. I have a set of Avid elixir 9's on my cannondale flash. Got the bike less than a month ago. So the brakes are brand new. The problem is they squeal a lot, both the front and rear brakes. It is going to drive me crazy. Is there anything that I can do or let a bike shop do for me to solve this problem?

Thats the avid turkey mating call,.. buy a female place her in your saddle bag and soon you will have turkey eggs for the festive season :thumbup: :D

I had badly squealing Elixer 3's. Did a bit of reading around the net and then did the following

Get 200grit sandpaper and sand roters until you cannot see any of the current marks from braking

Sand brake pads the same.

Reassemble and then bed in brakes properly - ride at medium speed and brake to a stop 10-15 times, ride at fast speed and brake hard 10-15 times

Also bled the brakes for good measure

Noise gone

Hope this helps

Just do the sanding thing, i think the orginal resin treatment to the pads causes the noise.

I have had avids on my bikes for 4 years, also on a flash. 13000 km. Four sintered brake pad sets and a bleed once.

They have been really good, and only noisey when the new pads are put in for 250km or so.

A wet or muddy ride solves the resin issue, and after a good clean they quiet again.

Thats the avid turkey mating call,.. buy a female place her in your saddle bag and soon you will have turkey eggs for the festive season :thumbup: :D

http://www.elciofernando.com.br/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/burn2.jpg

the infamous Avid Turkey Gobble. I used to have Tektro brakes on my MTB, and simply could not pass up on a good deal to "upgrade" the brakes to Elixer 5's. So, bought the brake set, had my LBS fit them and from day one, that bloody Turkey Gobble began - it got even worse when the brakes were wet. My LBS re-aligned, replaced rotors, yet that goddam turkey would just not bugger off. I finally decided to set aside an entire Saturday and attempt to see if I could find the turkey, and wring its frikken neck. :P

So, removed the callipers, took out the old pads, gave them a good clean and a light sand. Cleaned up the inside of the callipers, re-assembled and went for a test ride. At first I thought I had managed to kill the turkey - but as that thought was going through my mind, the little bugger reared its head :angry: But this got me thinking, cleaned the pads, noise went away (for about 1km) and then came back - so I then headed off to my LBS, bought a new set of pads for the front and back, installed them, and I sh*t you not - the turkey gobble was gone. It has been around 300km since I replaced these pads and not a peep :clap:

So, as a previous Huber suggested, lightly sand the rotors, and I would suggest replacing the pads - follow the bedding in of the pads process - and I think you will be sorted.

Good luck

Thanks for everyone's advice and input, I really appreciate it! Now I am going to try and kill that turkey!!!