Best moments in SA cycling?

Tumbleweed

Had a friendly argument with a mate of mine over the weekend about Meintjes's silver medal. Being a former roadie pro, he said it was in the top 3 moments for SA cyclists internationally, the others being Hunter's Tour stage win and Impey's wearing of the yellow jersey. He ragged me about DH not being "cycling", but that's not the point of this thread - ie, roadie versus MTB, but it got me thinking about what the best achievements our pros have made internationally.

For me, it has to be Greg Minnaar winning a World Champs in his hometown after what has already been a hugely successful career.

What thinketh you?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if we're mentioning a silver at U23 world champs, then we also need to mentioned Burry's GOLD medal at U23 world champs.......not to mentioned his other hardware collected at various elite and U23 XCO and marathon world champs......

Of course Robbie Winning a stage of the tour is awesome, as is Impey's wearing of the Yellow jersey as well as Cherisse winning a silver at world's, burry a gold at u23.

Greg Minnaar, being a multiple World Champion already, then winning the Jersey again in PMB in front of a home crowd, under immense pressure..........

This is the pinnacle of SA cycling achievement in my book.

No question.

For me it would be Minnaars 2003 World championship win in Lugano coupled with his World cup series wins. All done away from home in the hotbed of cycling - Europe

The mountain bikers win this one hands down

Burry U23 WORLD CHAMPION

Greg Minnaar DH World Champion 2003 and 2013

Greg Minnaar World Cup Series Overall Winner (more than once)

For me it would be Minnaars 2003 World championship win in Lugano coupled with his World cup series wins. All done away from home in the hotbed of cycling - Europe

The mountain bikers win this one hands down

Burry U23 WORLD CHAMPION

Greg Minnaar DH World Champion 2003, 2012 and 2013

Greg Minnaar World Cup Series Overall Winner (more than once)

Fixed :thumbup:

Add Bury's Cape Epic wins to that list. From a SA perspective, big.

Still, Daryll, Robbie and even Reinhardt's 2012 season was massive as well.

Ciolek's Milan-San Remo win for MTN-Qhubeka is just as big. It's still a Safa team.

We can lay some claim on Froome as well... sort of.

The road achievements have been very significant and probably made the biggest contribution in terms of putting SA cycling on the map, however, I still feel that Burry's and Greg's rainbow stripes trump all.

Add Bury's Cape Epic wins to that list. From a SA perspective, big.

Still, Daryll, Robbie and even Reinhardt's 2012 season was massive as well.

Ciolek's Milan-San Remo win for MTN-Qhubeka is just as big. It's still a Safa team.

We can lay some claim on Froome as well... sort of.

The road achievements have been very significant and probably made the biggest contribution in terms of putting SA cycling on the map, however, I still feel that Burry's and Greg's rainbow stripes trump all.

Burry's epic wins for sure

Greg for me.

Seond is the tdf stage win of RH.

Close behind in third are the wins of Burry and Greg in world cup races.

I dont put the Epic above these, the Epic is not to MTB what the TDF is to road racing.

The u23 results are all important for potential shown, but u23 is not the top level of the sport. I regard u23 results on the same level as for example the IRB junior world cup

Edited by Christie

I dont put the Epic above these, the Epic is not to MTB what the TDF is to road racing.

So which stage race is the tdf of mtb'ing then, considering UCI points available and field?

It's not "mainstream", but Ernst van Dyk's many, many victories deserve a mention.

There I agree with you, he's been at the pinnacle of his sport for years, and yet kippie in the street would not recognise his name.

Greg's 2003 win, Burry winning the epic, then the achievements of Robbie, Gerald Ciolec in MTN and Darryl carrying yellow in the TDF.

Saying that, Louis silver was a massive achievement!!

What about Ashleigh's wins and her last two seasons, she's had a stormer the last two years.

I would go with Hunter's TDF stage win in position 1.

Followed by Greg Minaars WC wins in PMB

Third place would be Burries 5th place in the Olympics last year. Although no medal he rode like the champion he was born to be.

I think Burry will remain head and shoulders above the rest for a while. He was that special.

The way he put it all on the line after the kakkest start ever at the london olympics to rejoin the lead group was just pure courage. His dominance of the epic with suzi as well as that u23 victory would probably be my 2 and 3 here.

Greg Minnaar's achievements are amazing, but it's quite a marginal sport.

Robbie Hunter's tdf stage victory was a career highlight, but on reflection I think he was a solid rider who achieved a lot but never really made it into the top of the peleton.

Barlowwoorld team actually riding in the peleton was awesome.

Impey in yellow

Froome on the top step in paris with his convuluted accent showing a hint of saffa in it.

Skitzo dominating now and then on his bmx.

Morewood bikes being proudly SA from maritzburg.

I do have to include one of my favourites here, and it qualifies because it is very mtb related. Conrad Stoltz throwing down the hammer and dropping skinny guys on almost every Xterra international race in the past ten years.

[not much from the ladies, to be honest]

(edit) whoops. he could try sign up with mtn qhubeka

Edited by Shebeen

I always thought my C-group ride in the 94.7 would be up there? My mistake! I am a roadie, but have to agree that Greg Minnaar and the late Burry take this one hands down. Minnaar has three world titles to his name. Thats big!

Burry's U23 world title was a forecast of what should have been. And lets be honest, every race Burry did had a sprinkling of something special to it!

Hunter and Impey have done us proud, make no mistake. But I think with the right support and effort, Meintjies will add to his medal with other notable rides in the years to come.

Here's my top 14:

1. Greg Minnaar's DH World Champs gold (2003, 2012, 2013)

2. Daryl Impey's Tour yellow jersey (2013)

3. Robbie Hunters's Tour stage win (2007)

4. Burry Stander's U23 World Champs title (2009)

5. Greg's DH World Cup overall titles (2001, 2005, 2008)

tied 6. Burry's 1st World Cup win (2009)

tied 6. Greg's 1st World Cup win (2001)

8. Greg's DH World Champs silver (2004, 2006, 2009)

9. Louis's Mentjes U23 World Champs silver (2013)

10. Cherise Stander's Junior World Champs silver (2006)

11. Greg's DH World Champs bronze (2001, 2005, 2010)

12. James Perry's U23 TT bronze (2001)

13. Robbie's 1st Vuelta stage win (1999)