Are cyclists colourblind?

Butterbean

By myself some reds are fine to go through; most are not.

In a group, i wont stay with a bunch jumping lights because their no.s allow it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess to going thru many of the red lights (including on today's ride in all the areas you mentioned) - in fact, we go thru all the red lights but the ones on the big intersections where it is not do-able to safely skip them. For a while after Burry's death, I tried to be good about it, but old habits have crept back in. The same goes for my bunch of riding mates. I have taken note, however, of this thread and shall try and remedy my ways, but I don't think its gonna be easy. The temptation to go when we know its safe to do so, just seems to be too much to resist when on a bicycle. When riding on my own, I also feel that I am a target for bike jacking stopped at a red robot, so I just don't see myself even trying to change my ways on solo rides.

Ps. I just failed Big H's colour blindness test!

I confess to going thru many of the red lights (including on today's ride in all the areas you mentioned) - in fact, we go thru all the red lights but the ones on the big intersections where it is not do-able to safely skip them. For a while after Burry's death, I tried to be good about it, but old habits have crept back in. The same goes for my bunch of riding mates. I have taken note, however, of this thread and shall try and remedy my ways, but I don't think its gonna be easy. The temptation to go when we know its safe to do so, just seems to be too much to resist when on a bicycle. When riding on my own, I also feel that I am a target for bike jacking stopped at a red robot, so I just don't see myself even trying to change my ways on solo rides.

Ps. I just failed Big H's colour blindness test!

You know, I appreciate the honesty... And understand we're not all perfect. But I have just one problem. When is it ever safe to go through a red light?

Again, my problem is, the way the motorists gain an opinion of cyclists is by their behaviour. We are well known for this nonsense, and it needs to change.

Only way we can make it safer, is all of us doing our best on our own.

You know, I appreciate the honesty... And understand we're not all perfect. But I have just one problem. When is it ever safe to go through a red light?

Again, my problem is, the way the motorists gain an opinion of cyclists is by their behaviour. We are well known for this nonsense, and it needs to change.

Only way we can make it safer, is all of us doing our best on our own.

its safe to through a red light if you treat it as stop street. i e : you stop, check carefully that there are no oncoming cars, and proceed if there are none.

I agree with you, however, on the reputational damage which this causes to us as cyclists.

its safe to through a red light if you treat it as stop street. i e : you stop, check carefully that there are no oncoming cars, and proceed if there are none.

I agree with you, however, on the reputational damage which this causes to us as cyclists.

So then. Now that you admit that. Why do you continue to blatantly ignore the law of the road? Where does it stop? Would you do the same on a moto? In your car? If not, why not?

Oh. And you ARE allowed to cycle in the yellow. There is an allowance in the AARTO traffic laws for slower vehicles to move into the yellow lane, in certain conditions, in order to facilitate the safe passing if other faster vehicles are behind.

2 things:

1. It is illegal not to stop at a red light.

2. It is illegal not to stop at a stop sign.

...end of....

that's why you get a fine, otherwise you could argue "but officer it was safe"....."Oh OK on your way then!"...in your dreams!

Edited by capediver

Here's a scenario for you...you "safely" shooting red lights and stops streets and you fail to see my daughter coming home from lectures in her little car, she hits you and you are injured or, god forbid, killed...where does that leave her, it's clearly your fault but she has to live with the fallout for the rest of her life! No way, get real and get responsible...this kind of stuff makes me real mad...you may be trolling and all and hiding behind the anonymity of the web but if you serious, you need to consider a major paradigm shift in attitude to road safety... Edited by capediver

***, now I'm in ***.

Ja boet...hope you were trolling....you gonna need a Teflon suit...I can rent you one!!

Here's a scenario for you...you "safely" shooting red lights and stops streets and you fail to see my daughter coming home from lectures in her little car, she hits you and you are injured or, god forbid, killed...where does that leave her, it's clearly your fault but she has to live with the fallout for the rest of her life! No way, get real and get responsible...this kind of stuff makes me real made...you may be trolling and all and hiding behind the anonymity of the web but if you serious, you need to consider a major paradigm shift in attitude to road safety...

Look, I don't wanna argue with you. I was just trying to be honest about something which I see everyone doing. That said, the scenario which you paint is faux. And emotive. And sanctimonious.

Look, I don't wanna argue with you. I was just trying to be honest about something which I see everyone doing. That said, the scenario which you paint is faux. And emotive. And sanctimonious.

No problem and no argument, hope you see how this kind of thing can get people going...so I'll end it with a wish for safe travels..........

........ and against the law

I am colourblind, but even I know the top light means stop :thumbup: .

Please don't paint all of us with the same brush. It's bad enough we have to deal with our "disability". Just the other day I got k@kked out by my 5 year old cos I got the colours wrong.

As I said in post #4 above...... school was hell sometimes

1.I agree (but sometimes I dont stop - Sunday 6am, only one there. The tree falling in the woods scenario)

2. Point well made. I will stop in future

I allow ONE EXCEPTION ONLY, and this is it:

When you get to a traffic light that is red and needs to be activated by a vehicle driving over the trigger pad to turn it green. I'm not heavy enough on the bike to do that. Then I treat it as a stop sign if there is no other traffic around. The alternative is to wait there at the red light until perhaps one day a car comes along to trigger the green light for you, and that's just stupid.