Stupid or not?

PrinceVlad

You should be fine, take it easy in the beginning and don't get caught up in chasing every cyclist on route. Good idea you have of doing a race before the 94.7 so you have some experience of what it's like to ride in a bunch, Unless you really do want cycle shoes, takkies and flat pedals should be fine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now decided to take it more seriously and, to motivate myself, I have entered the 94.7.

My question is: Am I stupid or not for wanting to complete the race?

No, provided you are healthy it's achievable.

Should anybody think I am not stupid, what tips do you have

Ride your bike, don't over do the training - make sure you are well rested on the day.

Make sure your seat height / angle is set up correct.

Try to ride the race distance with similar type terrain (or close to it) at least once and at least 2 weeks before the day.

Train and ride slowly (especially on the day), ALWAYS at an easy effort that you can hold a conversation without gasping for air.

and what accessories and/or equipment are non negotiable. For instance are cycling shoes a necessity?

Serviceable bike (get it sorted out now, not the last week), comfortable saddle and helmet, water bottle

Proper cycling shoes that (clip in) are more efficient, but not a necessity

Cheers

Go for it...

Most important would be to ride 2/3 of the distance a week or 2 before race day to know what you are in for and to do some riding in a bunch just to lessen the nerves of riding with tons of people around you.

With the training you will be doing, you will do it, so is not stupid.

As most say take your time and pace yourself, your aim is to finish and that is the goal. The luxury you have of doing it on a MTB is that you will be geared better for the hills which will help you.

As for takkies and flat pedals they will be fine, but consider toe clips, they are not expensive and will ensure your foot is in a better position on the pedal. Cycling shoes if you want as they are more efficient but not essential.

Most importantly, enjoy the day!

Not stupid.

As it was mentioned you can finish. The question is at what speed will you ride.

If I am correct Midstream Estate is somewhere around Midrand? You should go spend the day out in the Cradle and do 60-80km a few weeks before the 94.7.

Just be realistic about what you want to do time wise. Try to carry enough liquid and gels or so with you to keep stopping at waterpoints to a minimum. That just kills your legs and makes it hard to get going again.

Guest Latent Blue

Naah, he probably punctured and couldn't fix it himself because the assistant forgot to pack the right tools and there was no nurse to hold onto things for him. ;)

LOL!

actually what happened is that I went riding with a group and ended up having to change everyone elses flats with my tools cause no one had any/knew how to change flats.

Used all my patches and two spare tubes...

Sucked ass!

dude you bought as 29er so you definitely not stupid in fact you much more intelligent than a lot of guys here :ph34r:

Guest Latent Blue

No wonder you are a doctor. F@#ken slim jy

Ag dankie man! :blush: :P

Guest Latent Blue

dude you bought as 29er so you definitely not stupid in fact you much more intelligent than a lot of guys here :ph34r:

:devil:

HKGK

Hi Prince Vlad I did exactly what you are doing some years ago. My advice is to try and get a 70,80 or 100 km ride under your belt before the race. The nutrition tips here are sound and you should follow them. I would also drive the route beforehand on a Sunday perhaps (OK not up the off-ramps on the M2!) but particularly the back Krugersdorp highway & the hills coming into Kyalami. There's one mother which I heard after my first ride, is called Heartbreak Hill Take it easy & the only goal you should set for this one is to finish, coz next year you will be itching to get a PB & the bug will have bitten Chances are you will then invest in a road bike which is what happened to me after seeing paunchy riders on road bikes smoking me on the K'dorp road. Definitely put slicks on for an easier ride unless you are feeling strong & ride safely. Let us know how it went

Guys

Thanks for the advice. I have sort of decided to get the shoes and the tyres. I also want to find out where one can get cycling jerseys in large sizes.

Thanks

PrinceVlad, if you can afford it go get the bike set up at cyclefit. You will be a whole lot more comfortable and your pedaling will be a whole lot more efficient.

All the advice given so far is good, but the most important of it all is to just have fun.

PrinceVlad, if you can afford it go get the bike set up at cyclefit. You will be a whole lot more comfortable and your pedaling will be a whole lot more efficient.

All the advice given so far is good, but the most important of it all is to just have fun.

Even in a cow suit :thumbup:

Never take a turn at the front. If somebody tries to force you to make as if you have cramps. Spit and fart in the middle of the bunch. Void your nose of snot by violently ejaculating it from your nose at an angle that will ensure maximum coverage of those behind you, one nostril as a time. Never keep your line, switch the okes, they like it. Good Luck

I did my first 94.7 with 20km of training and no special gear.

Just a MTB and a helmet.

Key to completing it though is to have fun. smile a lot, chat to folks. Stop for the odd beer with some of the overzealous supporters.

Remember, for 90% of the field its a "ride" not a "race".

Just have fun.

Guys

Thanks for the advice. I have sort of decided to get the shoes and the tyres. I also want to find out where one can get cycling jerseys in large sizes.

Thanks

Sportsman's Warehouse has some nice First Accent ones. If you have spent too much with the shoes etc. then Mr Price Sports has some which are less expensive. Get the proper ones with back pockets to carry gels and stuff. Gels are quite well priced at Dischem