Read this before you buy Sidi MTB shoes - Major quality concerns

Squier

Seriously, i'm on the el-cheapo Olympic MTB shoes...they offer everything i could want!!

First pair lasted 3 years (with PLENTY of up-mountain walking!!)...I'm now 1 year into my second pair and still cannot justify any other shoe that will cost me 2-4x more...

Big up on Olympics!!

I will 100% support this statement!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had several pairs of Sidis. Subsequently I switched to Specialized shoes which I find more comfortable. The Sidis way out-lasted the Specs.

I don't understand how the sole can come off if you have cleats screwed in though? Did the cleats and their retaining hardware rip out too?

I would not recommend Sidi Dragons as the outsole tread pieces are so soft - they wear away quickly and cost R550+ to replace.

My Mavic carbon soled shoes have lasted 3years + and are only now starting to wear out.

The Sidi's lasted 4 rides and there was visible wear on the soles.

I sent pictures to ASG and they replied saying its not a warranty issue.

Surely MTB soles should last longer than say 10 rides?

I think the OP is being a bit unfair here. Dude, we're talking mountain biking shoes here - I also finished a pair of Sidi's in less than 2 years - not because the product was crap but because I rode all hell loose with them. If these shoes had only done 5/6 rides I would complain but that is not the case (I assume) and I can fully understand that ASG & Sidi is not breaking their necks over this one.

Btw, I'm wondering now, how can the soles detach at the front if you have cleat screws that secure not only your clips but also the soles?

As per my thread posted a while back (http://www.thehubsa....rashed-so-hard/) I ripped of the soles of my Sidi MTB shoes when I crashed at Red Barn. Yes, I fell pretty hard but it was by no stretch of the imagination a major crash. I had no injuries.

post-7796-0-35322800-1382505176_thumb.jpg

After weeks of deliberation ASG and Sidi have decided not to come to the party and assist me in this situation.

To be fair, the shoes were about 18 months old, so outside of the warranty period.

Still, when you pay R2500 for a pair of Sidi's, you'd at least expect a decent quality product and even perhaps some backup from the local agent. I do not believe the soles ripping off of the shoes after 18 months is acceptable and definitely not in line with my expectations of a quality product.

I will never buy Sidi's again and would urge you to consider this information when considering to spend your money on this product.

Ive seen hobos with better condition crocs than those...

Those look like walking shoes to me.

did you ride with them or hike a lot?

Ive seen hobos with better condition crocs than those...

Those look like walking shoes to me.

did you ride with them or hike a lot?

Wahahhaha ag skillz, love your comments as usual

Looks like a hungry couple of fellas.

But saying that, I just don't get the rave over Sidi shoes.

My gardening technician looks like John Travolta as I gave mine to him.

If you want real shoes get a pair of Specialized shoes.

whahahaha will pay to see his best "staying alive" moves. They are bling bling but made for slim italian feets, not wide enough for my plat pote unless I go for size 48 and look like ronald mcdonald

Agree on spez shoes, actually all spez stuff / accessories....they make proper stuff

Like I mentioned the shoes were outside of their warranty period and thus asg was not legally mandated to do anything. How they wanted to handle the situation was completely up to them and their approach to customer service. Do you expect them to replace every pair of shoes with severed soles? If it's a regular occurrence it's obviously not feasible, if this is a once off incident that is clearly not in line with their quality standards, perhaps?

Whether you expect soles to rip off your shoes as a result of a minor crash or not is up to you and your own perception of quality. In the same way that you expect shoes to last longer than 18 months is based on your perception of the quality and durability of the product.

The purpose of the thread is not to bash anyone, but information for you to consider when you're in the market for new shoes. This could happen to you. Whether this is acceptable to you is completely up to you.

Buy some water resistant contact glue and fix them up. Should not cost more than a few bucks.

Also my advise, or take them to a shoe fixing shop. Problem solved

....... and Woolworths must come and replace the milk in my fridge that has gone past its expiry date. It is unacceptable that its lasts only 5 days, even though it said that on the bottle! I expect my milk to last longer. Consider this before buying Ayrshire Milk!

I would not recommend Sidi Dragons as the outsole tread pieces are so soft - they wear away quickly and cost R550+ to replace.

My Mavic carbon soled shoes have lasted 3years + and are only now starting to wear out.

The Sidi's lasted 4 rides and there was visible wear on the soles.

I sent pictures to ASG and they replied saying its not a warranty issue.

Surely MTB soles should last longer than say 10 rides?

Depends on your 10 rides - 10 days of Epic riding.... NO...

At least the soles are replaceable - my current Sidi MTB shoes are on their 3rd set of soles... but they have done over 4000km of racing in the last 2 years.

Shoes are still going strong...

Your failure looks exactly like one I had many years ago on a set of Adidas shoes (non cycling) - sitting with feet too close to the fire was the cause... your shoes did not come from the Westdene "fire" sale by any chance?