Why do they seldom advertise the weight of the bike

Oufy MTB (Roadie)

It is very irritating I agree, it's just like they often don't have the prices on the bike/part, so when you ask they look you up and done and suck out a price they think you will pay!

I think now that the UCI has capped bikes at 6.8kg minimum most brands play around in that ballpark for stock bikes and its not only all about the weight.

Then again ...... I just spent R100 more on a bottle cage that was 26 grams as opposed to its 35 gram competitor....

I think now that the UCI has capped bikes at 6.8kg minimum most brands play around in that ballpark for stock bikes and its not only all about the weight.

Then again ...... I just spent R100 more on a bottle cage that was 26 grams as opposed to its 35 gram competitor....

I am a bit of a weight weenie but a bottle cage is the only thing I don't worry about. I buy the one that my bottle doesn't come out of going down a technical hill. :P

I am a bit of a weight weenie but a bottle cage is the only thing I don't worry about. I buy the one that my bottle doesn't come out of going down a technical hill. :P

I dont get this? You try save 9g on the cage, but the cage is going to hold a bottle of liquid weighing so much more.

My weight saving tactic. Try lose some weight. In 2months I have managed to drop the weight of my bike by 10kg (with me on the bike)

I dont get this? You try save 9g on the cage, but the cage is going to hold a bottle of liquid weighing so much more.

My weight saving tactic. Try lose some weight. In 2months I have managed to drop the weight of my bike by 10kg (with me on the bike)

I'm trying that trick myself, but it's no easy thing - well done to you

take the bike out of the box, put it together, add all the components, put it on the scale and then list details with weight included. so simple.

but I definitely think they try to nail the sale with how the bike looks and the group set on it :)

I don't care what the manufacturers say, I wanna know its weight on the shop floor, cos that is what I'm walking out with and ultimately paying for.

I think I am beyond a beginner, for most I can knock off 2kg and be 66kg. My current bike is considered heavy so if I can knock off 2kg on my next bike purchase that will be a combine 4kg weight saving (throw in the light bottle cage then hell, i'm super light LOL). Now surely 4kg is a significant weight saving on the Grape Escape I intend doing next year.

Thanks for replies folks!

The weight of a bike.

We all 'would like' our bike to be as light as possible.

But the fact is that we 'have' a mtb that weighs 9.964kg(as per website). Then we add bar ends, a bike computer, tape a tube to the seat post, add 2 bottle cages and 120ml of Stans/wheel. And do not forget the pedals. And what about a multitool and a handfull of bombs?

How often have I finished a race with a water bottle that had more than 500ml in? Countless.

We very often end up chasing our own tails.

Like Christie said: Manufacturers also weigh the XXS bikes...

All gajees,s bikes weigh 11kg and it is the last one ever to be made at such a good price for such a light bike ! :whistling: Stampede to cajees any moment now .Wait wait weight for it!!!

Edited by Blitzer

Because it really does not matter to most of us weekend warriors!

That's where the money is...go look at weightweenies.com

Most people i know when given the choice have gone with the lighter bike.Some haven’t even ridden a bike but bought it because it was lighter.

so no one gives a hoot of the bike fits well or not....

no wonder theres money in bling, light, accessories

Because it really does not matter to most of us weekend warriors! Unless you're aiming for podium positions in pro events who cares?

Actually, it is the other way around.

I chatted to the chief designer at Spcialized once and he said that only the amateurs ask what a frame weighs.

The pros are concerned about dynamic issues and not weight. They work on the assumption that the bike will be built to the optimum weight.

don't forget that often the light weight bikes that the manufacturers give to tour riders are not the same layup as the bikes they sell from the LBS....

Absolutely not.

The UCI rules specifically prohibit that. In fact, because the race bikes have to be identical to the commercially available model, team mechanics may no longer even file off the "lawyers lip" on the front fork.

What if you're already a skinny at minimum weight? Gotta spend the dough on bottle cage!

Actually the best way to lose serious weight on most bikes in one easy hit is with the wheels, but budget for R5k - R10k normal retail to lose a kilo and a bit... on the Hub classifieds you'll do much better.

Re advertising the the weight, you need to specify who "They" is/are. The manufacturers won't because too much can happen between the factory and retail shop floor in terms of specs on parts, added accessories etc. The bike shops won't because it's too much work.. and might prejudice a sale if one "fancied" bike weighed more than a competitor's. It just brings in another complicating factor that most 1st timers won't even have thought of.

And weigh less costs more!

That's what hangs on the floor if he doesn't get paid ;)

Seriously though it's the little tabs at the bottom of the fork that prevent the wheel from falling out unless you have just about completely undone the quick release.

Yea, i've found it quite poor form of shops not putting at least the weight of the FRAME (as from manufacturer specs). Simple example, when you're out shopping and deciding between dual suspension and hard tail, surely you would want to make an informed decision regarding the weight penalty you are going to take. Surely that is a vital piece of info and part of the "vanilla" frame, regardless of the wheels/parts/pedals you put on the bike?

I mean, why can you find the weight of a CAR on every single website? Go look, you'll be able to compare the weights of any car by going to their respective manufacturer websites. Some even give you weight of the exterior body without the engine etc. So how freaking hard can it be to supply at LEAST the weight of the frame?

Just because there is alot of other considerations when buying a bike , doesn't mean the weight shouldn't be available. How many people buy their cars based on the weight? Yet, the data is there...

I have 2 MTBs, both in the cheaper range,and i'm certainly no pro and a very casual rider. The one bike is a soft tail and i sure as hell can feel the weight difference, so much so that i'm definitely putting it as an important factor in future decisions.

It's also ironic, in the high end market, we're talking about "grams" when it comes to weight savings (making it all seems rather trivial) . Yet in the lower market it's literally KILOgrams differences, but no one in that segment cares about this?

Edited by silvertemplar