Best bike for 10 year old boy

MIKELKK

Hi All,

I want to buy an bike for my 10 year old son. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Two I have come across are Silverback Spyke 24 and Avalanche Cosmic 24. Any comments?

Edited by MIKELKK

Silverback Spyke 24 is a great bike. My daughter has the 20" version thereof.

A more expensive alternative is the Momsen JSL40.

Silverback Spyke 24 is a great bike. My daughter has the 20" version thereof.

A more expensive alternative is the Momsen JSL40.

Momsen jsl40 is a wonderful bike .Lightweight with proper groupset Sram x5 .9kg compared to most other 13kg bikes like titan. Edited by Blitzer

How tall is the kid, and how tall is he likely to be? The Cosmic is a great value-for-money bike if you're going to have to look at moving him up to a 26" bike in about two years. Both my boys grew out of 24" bikes by age 12.

Thank you to everyone for the advice!

How tall is the kid, and how tall is he likely to be? The Cosmic is a great value-for-money bike if you're going to have to look at moving him up to a 26" bike in about two years. Both my boys grew out of 24" bikes by age 12.

Hi Tumbleweed, he is below average height. I would expect him for be about 5 foot 7 or 8 inches when he grows up.

My 10yr old Girl has been on a Momsen JR 26" for the last 2 months.

Best move we ever made moving to 26" She is about 2" shorter than her class mates of the same age.

I picked up ours for R3000 with hydraulic disk conversion already done. Realy nice bike. Not the lightest but around 10.5Kg

Agree.....Xtra Small 26 inch...........nice thing is that when he outgrows it, you will be able to pick up a larger 26inch frame off the hub for al most nothing

My son turned 10 in May, but is small for his age. Weight = 25kg and 1.3m tall - so very small. I opted for the Momsen JSL40 (24") - weight is 10.3kg. It's a great buy. He can handle & control the bike. It has an air shock and very good components. We've done a couple of rides at groenkloof doing 300m ascent in 15km and he can peddle it up hill. That was important to me. For a small kid to peddle a 12 or 13kg bike uphill is tough and then the enjoyment fades. Not to speak about pushing the same bike uphill if he / she cannot ride it.

My advise is... go to the shops and see how your son fits onto a XS 26" bike. I looked at many XS 26" bikes and they were just to heavy (entry level bikes - I didn't want to spend a fortune) and big for my son to be comfortable on them. I'll rather "waste" money with the 24" and let him ride it for 2 years and have 2 years of enjoyment vs. struggling and loosing interest. But, for a bigger 10yr old I would probably have gone for the XS 26". I see the gradual migration from 20" to 24" and eventually to 26" as an investment in time with my son. Money well spend :-)

So, again my advice is: go do some measuring and fitting and see what he'll be comfortable with vs. what you would like to get him :-).

Good luck.

Edited by ACM

One 'bad thing' about 24" is that you don't get foldable tyres in a 1.75 range which means you cannot convert to tubeless. We did a ride the other day and got a puncture... Eventualy the 'green tube slime' did seal, but not without hassles. Afterwards I wanted to fix the tube as it was still losing pressure and it has 8 punctures :-(

I would love to be able to convert to tubeless!!