Dreamy Long Travel / AM Hardtails

Hairy

The On One frame arrived with a relative at the end of December. Stupidly I had thought the external headset for a tapered fork would be easy to source here. it wasn't so CRC  assisted with a Nukeproof at a brilliant price. Another UK family visitor brought it in a few days later. The build is straight off my old enduro and seems to work a treat. Since the pic I have added chainstay protection and the dropper post cable. Only gripe is the stupid left hand side semi internal cable routing. Why would you make the ports on the left when the cable should come out on the right and run to the left hand side of the bar.  Must be a throwback to left hand shifters and dropper levers on the right.

Sweet ride. For photo shoots the (unwritten) rule is to always drop the dropper :ph34r:. Giant dropper still works fine with all that wear? Mine's almost there too.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet ride. For photo shoots the (unwritten) rule is to always drop the dropper :ph34r:. Giant dropper still works fine with all that wear? Mine's almost there too.

Thanks, I know but in that pic the dropper hadn't had its cable installed yet, hence the horrible view of the worn stanchion. It works fairly well but is slow to return. It feels terrible compared to my uber fast Spaz dropper on the other bike...

• 1 month later...

Don't know about Dreamy but she's mine.

Decided to fit some gears after running SS for quite a while (have to use this for to tow my daughter on her half wheeler)

Running 1 x 9 with the following setup:

- Sunrace 11-40 cassett

- Saint direct mount derailleur

- Microshift 9speed gripshift

- Icelift V8 dropper (similar to Forca posts) 27.2mm

- Surly 26+ Dirt Wizards

- Rockshox Pike 150mm (older version)

post-3441-0-17328600-1519726874_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-85582300-1519726904_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-17439500-1519726931_thumb.jpg

post-3441-0-54888000-1519726953_thumb.jpg

been following this thread for while now and couldnt resist anymore so i decided to build myself a steel hardtail, got a contraband rogue frame but now cant seem to find a fork that will fit, as the bike takes a straight steerer 1 1/8 fork, any advice as to where i can look? im looking for a long travel 29" fork as well, i already put a wanted ad and phoned around many shops with no luck.

been following this thread for while now and couldnt resist anymore so i decided to build myself a steel hardtail, got a contraband rogue frame but now cant seem to find a fork that will fit, as the bike takes a straight steerer 1 1/8 fork, any advice as to where i can look? im looking for a long travel 29" fork as well, i already put a wanted ad and phoned around many shops with no luck.

You can fit an external lower cup to take a tapered steerer.

1268041934521-1r12jkebg02x7-630-80.jpg

Unfortunately not on that frame as it has external 1 1/8" cups AFAIK. If they were internal you could do it

as flowta said, cant be done from what iv been researching. but thanks for the response

as flowta said, cant be done from what iv been researching. but thanks for the response

ask your LBS if they can look for some X-Fusion forks from the distributors, as they may still have some older stock lying around

I am speaking under correction. 

But AFAIK.  

The 1st Contraband Rogue Frames had a strait 44mm bore head tube. 

Then the assembly   for a tapered steering tube is as Eddy showed

If it is later Contraband Rogue with the tapered head tube, one uses bearings that drop into the cup already in the frame. 

Here is a pic of mine with the tapered head tube. 

post-59281-0-31532800-1519740584_thumb.jpg

But AFAIK.  

Then the assembly   for a tapered steering tube is as Eddy showed

If it is later Contraband Rogue with the tapered head tube, one uses bearings that drop into the cup already in the frame. 

that is sexy!

But AFAIK.

Then the assembly for a tapered steering tube is as Eddy showed

Very interesting, I was going on pics from this article where it shows 1 1/8" external cups

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/reviews/review-contraband-rogue-single-speed-r1185

If anyone is looking for quality but affordable headsets, go to CRC and order a Nukeproof. They have a catalog which removes all doubt as to whether you have the right size one, and the prices are very good. The one I got for my On One was about R450.00

• 1 month later...