Dreamy Long Travel / AM Hardtails

Hairy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

With the astronomical prices of decent full suspensions do you think aggressive HT's will increase in popularity?

I think they will. I mean R50k gets you a dual sus that might even be a bit dodge in places or that you wont be happy with. The entry-level Trance is 56k. You can get an HT for R30k that is pretty solid (if you look around).

I've been super surprised by HT. It's good for 85% of the riding available in CT. It's only really the super rocky stuff or super big jumps where the magic carpet of a FS becomes necessary.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry not sorry for raising the dead here. I need some advice. I'm pulling the trigger soon on a new HT monster. Current front runners are:

- Nukeproof Scout 290 (Concern is CRC in business rescue, and crazy shipping / duty cost)

- Commencal Meta HT AM Race (https://commencal-store.co.za/products/meta-ht-am-race)

I can't help but think I want something in steel through. I have a cotic simple SS which I really love riding. I just can't seem to find a good option here that comes as a full bike, with OEM pricing on components AND ships to SA.

I'm 1,98m tall, so I need an XL or XXL depending on the brand.... makes things that much harder to find.

Any thoughts / help on stores that serve our niche market would be appreciated.

That scout is on sale at great price for BF at the moment. Never ridden one though. Had a Meta and really couldn't find that much fun about it. Was a very vanilla alu frame but alot of people love it. Having has a few steel HT's I'd struggle to go back to Alu. If you're spending coin, get something awesome.

I'd angle more towards looking for a Kingdom Vendetta (Ti), Banshee Paradox (alu), Cotic BFE Max, Bird Forge Steel, Hello Dave, Canfield Nimble Nine, Orange Crush, Stanton Swith9er frame set and just build up here. Much easier / cheaper to import and less duty if you go via Aramex Global Shopper. I've brought a frames in few in that way and by far the easiest, simplest, cheapest and pretty fast. Full bikes attract more attention, costs and duty. 

I've seen a few great ones on Pink Bike going second hand and great deals but you've got to take leap of faith (so far bought 6 frames from Ebay and PB along the way and no issues what so ever) but with PB better to have a UK account to dump the coin into their account to make it less hassle for the seller and with Aramex you have a UK address for them to send to so easier to deal with and arrange courier to collect. People tend to freak out when you say 'I'm from South Africa...'. EBay / PayPal is a bit easier with buyer protection. 

When it comes to Steely HT's there are alot of good options around but criminally few ever makes it to our shores unless you take a punt and do it yourself. Good luck, BF is almost here for new deals and post your purchase!

26 minutes ago, Dirt Tracker said:

That scout is on sale at great price for BF at the moment. Never ridden one though. Had a Meta and really couldn't find that much fun about it. Was a very vanilla alu frame but alot of people love it. Having has a few steel HT's I'd struggle to go back to Alu. If you're spending coin, get something awesome.

I'd angle more towards looking for a Kingdom Vendetta (Ti), Banshee Paradox (alu), Cotic BFE Max, Bird Forge Steel, Hello Dave, Canfield Nimble Nine, Orange Crush, Stanton Swith9er frame set and just build up here. Much easier / cheaper to import and less duty if you go via Aramex Global Shopper. I've brought a frames in few in that way and by far the easiest, simplest, cheapest and pretty fast. Full bikes attract more attention, costs and duty. 

I've seen a few great ones on Pink Bike going second hand and great deals but you've got to take leap of faith (so far bought 6 frames from Ebay and PB along the way and no issues what so ever) but with PB better to have a UK account to dump the coin into their account to make it less hassle for the seller and with Aramex you have a UK address for them to send to so easier to deal with and arrange courier to collect. People tend to freak out when you say 'I'm from South Africa...'. EBay / PayPal is a bit easier with buyer protection. 

When it comes to Steely HT's there are alot of good options around but criminally few ever makes it to our shores unless you take a punt and do it yourself. Good luck, BF is almost here for new deals and post your purchase!

Thanks so much for the response. That's exactly what's holding me back from buying. I just can't get my head past the feel of my steel cotic.... I chatted to Wayne this morning about the Rapide Tigre but I'm just worried that I'm a touch taller than their max hight recommendation on their XL. Decisions decisions. I'm really having to force myself to be patient here!

Reckon that is a great choice. You'll have to report back if you pull the trigger.

Just sold my Shand Shug... was a large frame and I wasn't nearly as large as I thought I was. That was a frame of note. 853 main tubes, Custom italian steel rear and dropouts. 64 degree HA. 29 or 650B+, 140mm front. Was so capable, climbed so well, nimble when needed, stable when needed and so comfortable doing 90% of the hectic trails I was dong on my longer travel dual bikes and 110% more fun on all the other trails. Miss it everyday. Being a slightly over sized on a long, slack HT which made it longer and slacker than perhaps it was designed for was a great eye opener and really given me some ideas for what I might look for on the next one. 

4 hours ago, SimpleDom said:

Sorry not sorry for raising the dead here. I need some advice. I'm pulling the trigger soon on a new HT monster. Current front runners are:

- Nukeproof Scout 290 (Concern is CRC in business rescue, and crazy shipping / duty cost)

- Commencal Meta HT AM Race (https://commencal-store.co.za/products/meta-ht-am-race)

I can't help but think I want something in steel through. I have a cotic simple SS which I really love riding. I just can't seem to find a good option here that comes as a full bike, with OEM pricing on components AND ships to SA.

I'm 1,98m tall, so I need an XL or XXL depending on the brand.... makes things that much harder to find.

The Scout is excellent but if you consider the Scout also consider Ragley (Both from CRC)

The Big Al is rated as one of the most compliant Alu bikes around.

I bought mine in January and I have loved every moment. Even sold my dual sus. I paid around R30k and that is a well spec'd bike (Marz z2, WTB i30 rims, Deore drivetrain, 170mm dropper, Maxxis Minions, Sram 4 pot brakes). 

I chose to go to CRC as there was literally bugger all available locally that was decent out the box (I searched for 6m).  For example a Trek Roscoe 7 was over R30k but needed a fork and brake upgrade out of the box which would have pushed the price way over R40k. Commencal prices were out of this world at the time.

The CRC situation sucks. Obviously hoping for a turn around but even if the parent companies goes, I am confident the loved brands will be sold off and continue.

4 hours ago, Dirt Tracker said:

Reckon that is a great choice. You'll have to report back if you pull the trigger.

Just sold my Shand Shug... was a large frame and I wasn't nearly as large as I thought I was. That was a frame of note. 853 main tubes, Custom italian steel rear and dropouts. 64 degree HA. 29 or 650B+, 140mm front. Was so capable, climbed so well, nimble when needed, stable when needed and so comfortable doing 90% of the hectic trails I was dong on my longer travel dual bikes and 110% more fun on all the other trails. Miss it everyday. Being a slightly over sized on a long, slack HT which made it longer and slacker than perhaps it was designed for was a great eye opener and really given me some ideas for what I might look for on the next one. 

I have the opposite problem... my On One Dee Dar is their large which is a bit too small for me to be set up properly - needs a longer than I would like stem to give me some reach. I saw your Shug for sale - looked like my perfect bike, sorry you had to let  it go. 

6 hours ago, SimpleDom said:

What about a Knolly Tyaughton frame? They are steel frames and on sale at the moment, with worldwide shipping available 

13 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

What about a Knolly Tyaughton frame? They are steel frames and on sale at the moment, with worldwide shipping available 

That's a very interesting option. Thank you. I'll trawl through some reviews on it. Lovely specs at first glance though!