Wheels or groupset?

plaasman

Same question but different

Old Sora and mavic aksiums

Which to upgrade?

Swop Sora for 105. The Aksiums are OK for now, do them next.

Hi guys..

Iam in need of some advice if you would be so kind.

Currently i have a desent carbon road bike with full 105 groupset(10speed) the model before the newest but did some miles with it as to date,but there is nothing wrong with them,they work perfectly.

My wheels are the shimano WHR 550 standard factory wheels.

Iam considering to upgrade my wheels to something in the area of 4000-5000.The make is not that important.

But i also can get a full dura ace groupset brand new for a simmilar price.

What is more important to upgrade would you recon?

Thanx

If you already have 105, definitely get wheels first.

Hi guys..

Iam in need of some advice if you would be so kind.

Currently i have a desent carbon road bike with full 105 groupset(10speed) the model before the newest but did some miles with it as to date,but there is nothing wrong with them,they work perfectly.

My wheels are the shimano WHR 550 standard factory wheels.

Iam considering to upgrade my wheels to something in the area of 4000-5000.The make is not that important.

But i also can get a full dura ace groupset brand new for a simmilar price.

What is more important to upgrade would you recon?

Thanx

Hold the horses... but can you elaborate? What "new" Dura-Ace groupset can you get for R4000-5000? 2013? 2014? Something doesn't seem right.

Same question but different

Old Sora and mavic aksiums

Which to upgrade?

I'd say wheels over gears in the case of the original post and gears over wheels in your case :thumbup:

Go with the Dura Ace groupset, fantastic group and the increase in quality will improve your riding pleasure and probably improve speed as well with its improved shifting and lighter weight. You can then flog the 105 for a few bob and save up a while for a new set of wheels.

You will always be able to get mid range wheels for R4k but it is unlikely that you will get DA for that price any time soon.

IMO you are also wasting your money on a R4k set of wheels, you need to lay out some more cash to get a good set of race wheels.

Sorry Red Zone, but that's *** advice. The weight saving on a full DA gruppo over 105 will be a max of 400 grams, including the chainset. MAXIMUM. Yes, it may improve the bike's performance over the 105, but not in such a way that a good wheelset would.

As for saying that he would be wasting his money spending 4 to 5k on a set of wheels - what utter rubbish. There are perfectly good wheels that he can get for 5k or just a bit more:

Ultegra (R 4,500)

Cosmic Elite (R 5,200)

Shimano RS 80 (R 5,500)

not to mention other second hand wheels available on the market at the moment.

The wheels he has at the moment are really bottom rung. And the new wheels that I've listed above will be lighter, stiffer and therefore faster than his current ones. They'll also be less resistant to buckling, if built properly. They're an altogether different proposition than what he has at the moment.

They will offer FAR more value than upgrading an already good groupset. There's NOTHING wrong with 105...