Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

...............In the meantime, any fly fishercyclingman can come and enjoy a fishing meets cycling weekend at ours.......................

:D I used to literally do that. Tied my rod to a backpack and rode my bike up the Witte River in Bains Kloof to get to the top beats, then hide the bike in the bushes, fish, and ride back out again afterwards. All to spend more time on the water, but I have calmed down somewhat over the years and I no longer try to do everything at the same time and at break neck speed! :)

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I used to literally do that. Tied my rod to a backpack and rode my bike up the Witte River in Bains Kloof to get to the top beats, then hide the bike in the bushes, fish, and ride back out again afterwards. All to spend more time on the water, but I have calmed down somewhat over the years and I no longer try to do everything at the same time and at break neck speed! :)

Are you talking about the track that goes up past where the old house ruins were?

We got arrested there once on our bikes by the Ranger.Led to a firm friendship and access to some very hidden and secret places in that mountain

Are you talking about the track that goes up past where the old house ruins were?

We got arrested there once on our bikes by the Ranger.Led to a firm friendship and access to some very hidden and secret places in that mountain

It is a rough 4x4 track that starts near the village on top of Bains Kloof and then goes up to a place called "Gawie se water" where there is a weir where the Wellington farms take water from the Witte. From there it is a hiking trail further upstream. 

It is a rough 4x4 track that starts near the village on top of Bains Kloof and then goes up to a place called "Gawie se water" where there is a weir where the Wellington farms take water from the Witte. From there it is a hiking trail further upstream. 

Yep thats it

OK, just 1 more, in case there was any doubt that a yellow is a pretty fish! Actually, they should have called it a goldfish, but that name was taken by an ugly abomination!

Way back when, Thursday nights were fish and chips night and the fish of choice was yellows and some carp.

Way back when, Thursday nights were fish and chips night and the fish of choice was yellows and some carp.

We saw some carp the size of a Hi Ace in the still pools just upstream of Sendelingsdrift. Whoever hooks one of those will probably still be fighting it by Christmas. :D  ;)

the rangers are not so friendly anymore!

DJR, what are the chances of a "teach others to fish Hub day"?

:D Hell no, sorry! I never quite understood how bad a fishing guide / teacher I was until I had to teach my youngsters to flyfish! I simply couldn't explain in words how to cast, not even after years of doing it myself. On the streams it got even worse and I came close to giving up trying, but eventually I think they got it despite my effort. If I have to do it again, I'll pay a professional for a day or two of tuition. If you are interested I can put you in contact with someone.

:D Hell no, sorry! I never quite understood how bad a fishing guide / teacher I was until I had to teach my youngsters to flyfish! I simply couldn't explain in words how to cast, not even after years of doing it myself. On the streams it got even worse and I came close to giving up trying, but eventually I think they got it despite my effort. If I have to do it again, I'll pay a professional for a day or two of tuition. If you are interested I can put you in contact with someone.

I can so relate to this. I can fish quite well, but I cannot explain for squat how to do it. It's all about feel, and I can't explain feel.

#angrygirlfriendproblems

ok, maybe a rephrase then.

When the weather is looking better, maybe you can organise a "get to know other Hub wannabee fisherman" day out next to some water ?

• 1 month later...

I'm keen to try my hand at fly fishing a little bit...

Best 3 piece and reel for starting out?

I'm quite happy with the Stealth setup that my wife and I got. Think it is posted here some where.

Edit: Sensation sorry.

*Sensation Combo

-5/6 wt Stok, graphite,medium-fast action.

-Sensation Viking reel

-Floating line

-Backing 20lb (ten minste 50m)

-DoubleX leader (3X dikte)

-Braided loop

-R499

Nothing grand but it works lekker.

Edited by Pieter1

• 2 months later...