Where is the biggest, meanest, longest and steepest hill in Jo'berg?

GhostSixFour

the ridge in linksfield!!

And make sure you get to it by going over Sylvies Pass first, you know, to warm up.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be fun.

My 2 cents,

If you make it a long climb its obvious the fittest guy will win (Linksfield ridge or Sylvias pass)

If you make it a sub 1 min sprint it will make it a lot more interesting, broaden the field a bit, (2nd half of Munro drive or the Cobblestone road near Linksfield) Thats if you want steep.

Edited by Peach.

Could be fun.

My 2 cents,

If you make it a long climb its obvious the fittest guy will win (Linksfield ridge or Sylvias pass)

If you make it a sub 1 min sprint it will make it a lot more interesting, broaden the field a bit, (2nd half of Munro drive or the Cobblestone road near Linksfield) Thats if you want steep.

Part of the idea. Want to break it down into two categories only - geared bikes and SS. Whether you bring MTB or roadbike is up to you.

Was thinking of maybe using a base weight for bikes of say 13kgs - any lighter and you sustain a slight handicap, over it and tough, its your loss

Close by, Linksfiled not long but quite steep, there are also a few around Mulbarton also not long but steep. Suikerbosrand is the best though.

Kallenbach drive, The one just east of Sylvias pass.

The advantage is that It is relatively quiet. Cobble stones(bricks) and tar. Steepest right at the top.

Linksfield 1km 100m climb. cul de sac. Very nice.

Start in the school parking lot.

North cliff. nice and long by joburg standards.

Start in the shopping centre parking lot.

What about Old Howick Road (Pmb to Hilton,KZN)? Especially in mid summer in the middle of the day:)

When you hear the chorus of 60 million cicadas you know your kettle is going to boil pretty quickly.

If you want steep, Melle road in Braamfontein from Empire Rd side.

Hunter Cycling did a 9 Cols of Jozi ride in Winter that took in Brixton Tower, Nugget Hill, Kallenbach Rd in Linksfield up the cobbles, back up from Bruma, Munro Drive, Carse o'Gowrie, Melle and some others I cannot remember with points going to the leaders on each climb, neutral sections between climbs and an overall winner. It was good fun, but quite hard.

Viljoen street in Judith's Paarl (especially the twisty bit as it climbs into Bellevue) (don't ride in that area on your own)

Butcher's Hill in da souf.

Edited by Cellar