Which is the best Medical Aid?

Roneblack46

We're on GEMS Emerald and have been very happy so far. Although we've never had problems, I don't know how GEMS ranks against other aids.

One thing though, we're having trouble putting my wife's contraceptives on chronic

We are on onyx and we have no issues with any thing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With camaf, first choice. Really good cover for hospital and ops, paid for my bike consult as well. So happy with them atm. Our limit on day to day stuff gets reached quick, but hospital visits are the major worry.

We've just moved over from Discovery Essential Comprehensive to a plan at BankMed. This move was due to Discovery increasing our monthly payment by 2k when I turned 21 a few months back. We've never had issues at Discovery besides running into the self payment gap every year with our family of four.

The SO's family is on Profmed hospital plan like Strech with no complaints.

Before I was on De Beers Medical aid (which is really leaps ahead of anything else, but unfortunatly you have to be an employee or a partner of an employee) I was on ProfMed (I went through PPS)......I thought they were painless and very afordable (you also get the Momentum benifits through them I think).

I find the best way is to actually ask Doctors.

I asked a surgeon at Sunninghill Clinic this same question 3 years back as I was considering leaving Discovery. His answer was that they are all much of muchness.

He said you wont find one that does everything as in where you don't part with money.

He said Discovery was the one they had the least problems with. He advised to stay with them.

I have also found that Discovery over the years are covering less. Small things like my wife that needed a new pair of prescription glasses, she is rather poor sighted so her glasses are normally expensive. The glasses cost R 9000.00. We had R 15 000.00 in our savings part of the plan at the time but Discovery would only contribute R 2500.00.

I have also learnt that just because the plan says unlimited cover in Hospital that you are not necessarily covered 100%. It is 100% provided that they are charging medical aid rates and that I think is where the problem comes in. Understanding the fine print is the catch.

I think a lot of people think well I am on a medical aid so I am covered. I have been guilty of that in years gone by.

I know my late mother in law was very sick last year for 2 months. They were on Discovery Health's top plan and were paying roughly R 7000.00 per month for two people.

Discovery short paid her hospital bill by R 300 000.00 rand.

I think at the end of it all "The Devil is in the fine print" and you stand more chance of getting a flat on a tubeless MTB wheel than understanding the fine print.

I've been with Spectramed for years, no issues.

Payments are prompt, excesses are fairly small, they have covered all the family needs as specified in their schedule.

We haven't had massive claims, biggest just under 60k (yes, bike accident), but they covered it all.

I'm told they are merging with Liberty, not sure how that will turn out, but hoping for the best.

at work we can choose between either discovery plans or liberty. have been with liberty for the past 6 years, TITAN option, and no real issues so far.

I am a medical aid broker. You get what you pay for.

If you work the Vitality Programme, there is not cheaper or better medical aid than Discovery. If you don't work the Programme , maybe choose another large medical aid.

I have been on discovery for 14 years and will be on Discovery for another 40 years. Comprehensive cover at a great price

We've just moved over from Discovery Essential Comprehensive to a plan at BankMed. This move was due to Discovery increasing our monthly payment by 2k when I turned 21 a few months back. We've never had issues at Discovery besides running into the self payment gap every year with our family of four.

The SO's family is on Profmed hospital plan like Strech with no complaints.

You just turned 21 and have a family of 4?

<rant> I really wish these schemes were no longer referred to as "Medical Aids". Because, put simply, they are not.

They are medical insurance policies. There's no aid involved, it's all about profit.

I'm probably preaching to the converted here but it really hacks me off. </rant>

You just turned 21 and have a family of 4?

In some religions it is the norm and encouraged

Edited by hayleyearth