Which is the best Medical Aid?

Roneblack46

I have been with Discovery Health for more than 14 years on the classic comprehensive plan. So with a family of 4 including 2 teenagers it seems that Discovery has become more expensive but cover less.

I am looking at possibly shifting to anther medical aid but have no idea.

I would like to hear what other Hubbers are experiencing with their Medical Aid. Pros and Cons...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bestmed. Momentum - actual these days Discovery's got a lot of competitors, if you sit with a calculator and can do Maths. Take three grand of a month for the perks you pay for and that's what you save and more per family of four.

Discovery Classic Delta Comprehensive. I switched from the Classic Comp. Linked with the Vitality benefit I have no issues. I dont have a choice though so have to make do (Company medical aid)

Was on Nimas before. Not too bad either.

Depends on what you mean the best. Cheapest, least co-payments, best prosthesis benefits, most sunglasses, widest choice of Hospitals/ Doctors. Best ICU etc. etc. I can tell you 95% of people look at the wrong things when choosing. I can go on for a long time. No I dont sell or market medical aids. It is like asking what is the best bike - depends on your budget. You get what you pay for.

Depends on what you mean the best. Cheapest, least co-payments, best prosthesis benefits, most sunglasses, widest choice of Hospitals/ Doctors. Best ICU etc. etc. I can tell you 95% of people look at the wrong things when choosing. I can go on for a long time. No I dont sell or market medical aids. It is like asking what is the best bike - depends on your budget. You get what you pay for.
red bikes are best. Do you get red medical aid?

The best medical aid is the one you are lucky enough not to need. ;)

Just joking, I've been with Liberty Medical for many years and they have always treated me fairly and efficiently.

I am in the fortunate position that my employer pays 2/3rds of my monthly payment. I am just finding Discovery not suitable for say orthodontics. My eldest has 6 months to go and her orthodontics comes out of my my yearly savings plan. My family limit for the year is what the orthodontics cost. So what happens is I run into my self payment gap pretty early in the year. I have a second teen waiting for orthodontics as well.

Important consideration is payment for casualty, especially if you have little ones that get hurt often. Discovery pays for casualty out of your medical savings, so if you break something but don't need to be admitted, you're gonna be out of pocket.

We had fedhealth come in to present their plans, they don't have the frills but lots if the actual real costs they pay for it.

I have been on profmed hopsital plan for about 9 years. They have paid comprehensively for child birth, a few one night hospital stays, a 1 month hospital stay and a 1 week stay.They also pay for monthly chronics. I have absolutely no complaints. I top up with complimed (R120 per month). Profmed costs me R2700 for 2 adults and 2 children

I've been with Discovery (Classic Comp) for 11+ years.

I am (unfortunately) a HEAVY user of my Medical Aid.

I've had no problems - always a pleasure to deal with them.

Generally speaking - you get what you pay for.

We're on GEMS Emerald and have been very happy so far. Although we've never had problems, I don't know how GEMS ranks against other aids.

One thing though, we're having trouble putting my wife's contraceptives on chronic

Also ask the service providers about the ease of dealing with different medical aids. Some are a nightmare - that mostly gets passed on to the user. Also check on PMB policy (prescribed minimum benefits - as prescribed by law. Some even try to dodge payment for that). As a rule of thumb - bigger is better (less likely to fold on you). Overall I think Fedhealth or Discovery is best allround. Profmed and Bestmed also good. Medihelp making very strange decisions regarding benefits recently. GEMS admin is getting worse by the day. Liberty now administrates many funds - very difficult to get anything slightly unusual authorised. I have one employee that deals fulltime with medical aids - he is thankfull for every Discovery patient. Easiest fund to deal with for him.

Stay away from One plan.

They are the worst you can get. They never paid out,and I also never got feed back of what is paid and what not. Not until you get letters from the doctors and worst of all...... they keep thinking of new ideas why they should deduct additional funds from your bank account. I left them 5 months ago and once again they notify me this month that they are going to deduct yet another R500.00 from my bankacc. As I signed a DO I have no power. And my wonderfull bank tells me they cannot stop the payments.