Outsurance sues cyclist

sharkbait

Had an offroad motorcycle insured through outsurance for almost 2 years, when I got a much cheaper quote and phoned to cancel my policy with them, they suddenly could offer me the exact same cover for R200 less just to beat the opposition.

I asked them why I wasn't paying this newly offered, reduced rate from the beginning and they had some excuse or other. I just said no thank you and I won't be using them again in the future either, feel ripped off paying an inflated premium for so long..

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi sharkbait,

Can you please provide us with a claim number or details of the cyclist? We would like to provide feedback on the incident. You can mail me the details to foppena@out.co.za

Thank you,

Alet

Hello lady from Outsurance...

I have a policy that covers only my MTB with your company...after this - I think i'm going to just include it with my other household policy which resides with SANTAM. Consider my notice hereby served...

Regards

Policy holder #OT14478071

Just advised 2 family members from accepting an Outsurance quote. My wife's new car is with Outsurance. When I get the time I will be looking at other insurers. Cannot support crap like this,

I know they had a team at W2W. Maybe they follow the Hub. Please keep us posted. Better than Friday Fightclub.

What a load of nonsense.

Nothing more than scare tactics by Outsurance's legal team.

A classic case of a large corporate trying to intimidate an individual without giving a thought to:

- the brand damage that could potentially occur, and

- the costs involved in paying for the defendants legal costs when it gets thrown out of court (if it even got there).

Big FAIL by Outsurance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi sharkbait,

Can you please provide us with a claim number or details of the cyclist? We would like to provide feedback on the incident. You can mail me the details to foppena@out.co.za

Thank you,

Alet

http://dailypicster.com/uploads/imgs/c/5/1339076483-this-will-blow-up-in-your-face.jpg

Geez guys

A proper lynch mob we have going here....

Shouldn't we first wait for Outsurance's response, they might have a decent explanation if given the chance to respond.

Not a big fan of this trial by social media.

Slightly off topic, but still relating to cars and cyclists/pedestrians.

Did anyone hear the debate yesterday/Monday on 702 (Jenny's show) relating to Sonya Laxton's hit 'n run accident on Sunday morning?

One attorney/lawyer stated that the victim (in this case Sonya, but Burry's name could fit into this debate too), has no recourse to sue the driver, as the Road Traffic Act (or the RAF) compensates the victim in terms of medical bills, loss of income, etc, etc., etc. and prevents any civil action against the accused.

The sad fact, in that the driver gets away with it (maybe a fine and a slap on the wrist) and the victims (or their families) have to deal with the consequences.

So a cyclist is cycling down a parking lot and a guy in his car reverses out infront of the cyclist, the cyclist had nowhere to go but to hit the car. Ok, back window broken and a small dent on the boot. Two months down the line the cyclist receives a letter from Outsurance to pay R16K + for the damages caused. Reasons: the cyclist was in the wrong as he should have avoided the reversing car. After calling the number on the letter it was said that the driver said he was stationary and the cyclist rode into the back of the vechile. I said but he was reversing out and the laywer said that I have to prove that the vechile was moving. My question is how is this possible to sue the cyclist? To prove that the vechile was moving is out of the question so what remains is for the cyclist to just fork out the money. When has the law changed in favour of the driver? Any advise?

If the car was 'parked' how the hell can the drivers insurance say the cyclist is in the wrong? Assuming there were other cars on either side of the car where did the cyclist come from?? Over the top of the car parked next to the drivers car????

What a bunch of twats! Sue them for damages to the bike!

Geez guys

A proper lynch mob we have going here....

Shouldn't we first wait for Outsurance's response, they might have a decent explanation if given the chance to respond.

Not a big fan of this trial by social media.

chalk my name up on the lynch mob attendance register if you must, but I make a point of not being inclined to take a statement drafted by a company's marketing/PR department as even vaguely representative of factual events...

Sharkbait - think twice before you respond to this. By doing so, you confirm that you are the cyclist involved.

They are going to sound like they have your interests at heart, which implies they have a heart.

Say nothing. Do nothing. Give them nothing to use against you.

Edit: BTW, it's only a matter of time before they throw around words like "defamation" and "libel". This can only be prosecuted (at huge cost) if 1) it is not truthful 2) it is not in the public interest, and 3) it is not timely (i.e. years later). You get three thumbs up. Ignore them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason for my response is to investigate this claim, I have already referred the matter to our Legal department as well as our attorneys and we can not trace this specific claim, hence my request for further detail. Wait to hear from you to assist further.

Alet

Archived