DC and the white line

stratus5

Allegedly there is also photographic evidence of one of the top 3 mixed teams drafting their team car. Now that is blatant cheating, not this white line irrelevant waste of time.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is only the beginning. Wait for the drugtests for numbers 127 to 138. I am sure somebody took coughsyrup, or something.... Don't these guys have more pressing matters to deal with?

When I did the DC a few years back, "we" were one of the slower teams (9h14min finishing time) and even we had to resort to going over the white line to pass some of the teams we managed to catch and pass.

Edited by Wannabe

I am in no way blaming PPA. This is not their initiative. They only respond to complaints, and by their rules I guess they have to follow through on a complaint.

But to the team or individual that did complain? You are going to be one of those people that wont give the ball back when the kid next door loses it over the wall.

Sounds like the Lance Armstrong story. Investigate him and nail him for doping, but ignore the hundreds of others who also doped. Strip his titles, but forget about the rest who did what he did.

there is surely a difference between passing (2nd photo) and an echelon( 1st photo)???????

Ja we echelon past the slower riders.

Best way to solve it, let the fast teams start firts.

If we didnt cross the white line to past slower riders we would have lost a hour between Montagu and Asthon

I see the usual DC flurry of objections / handbag-slinging borefest has begun.

The solution - as suggested - is surely to fix the start times. Send the fast guys first, or just much earlier.

Around km 140, our DC turned into something similar to the Argus minus the road closure.

A bazillion teams all bunched together, with traffic, including 18 wheelers, trying to get through in both directions, and support vehicles without a qualified stuntman at the wheel were lost miles down the road never to be seen again.

We rode the race without backup. Slower teams and backup vehicles would not let our vehicle pass. We had to stop at the last water point and fill bottles. If the race had been any closer, this is something that we wouldn't have been too happy with. Thank goodness we didn't puncture or have any mechanicals.

I spoke to the commissar later that evening, and they are aware of the problem. Some of the ideas they are toying with is to only receive backup at the Ashton spot, and then maybe before the last 3 rollers - removing backup vehicles from the route almost completely.

Another option is to make it like Trans Baviaans - boxes that get taken to checkpoints and no vehicles on the route.

As a fast team, it was near impossible to pass the slower teams, especially when they are riding 4 abreast, hugging the centre line. The rules also stated that slower teams should stay as far left as possible, and I'd be surprised if there any single team did that consistently.

And don't even get us started on the crazy antics some of the backup drivers get up to. I haven't seen that much aggression directed to cyclists from motorists since the last time I commuted to work. I'd have thought that the people at a bike race would be a bit more considerate towards cyclists.

Ja we echelon past the slower riders.

Best way to solve it, let the fast teams start firts.

If we didnt cross the white line to past slower riders we would have lost a hour between Montagu and Asthon

So instead of going single file over the white line you echelon and take up the WHOLE road instead of making your footpring as small as possible? You son need a darwin award for that!

Edited by no calves

I found guys on mtb rode 3 abreast and refused to move over and then got all agro when every team that approaches them to keep left. Take a hint.

So instead of going single file over the white line you echelon and take up the WHOLE road instead of making your footpring as small as possible? You son need a darwin award for that!

Edited by Thornman