Booze and cycling

Guest Travis.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I'm getting at. Legs, etc feel good, just a bit more thirsty. So some water and sometimes another beer and it's good to go. I'm 30 btw

I'm 40 and find whisky and water does the trick for me now! Getting my alcohol and water in one shot!

Guest Travis.
Yeah, it only affects those that cycle regularly and have a semblance of fitness :)

You know I have some fitness...

Back in the day when I was still at varsity (a looooong time ago), some of the serious riders used to put a shot of whisky in their bottles before a ride. Never quite worked that one out.

Guest Travis.

Maybe some okes just take their drinking seriously as well. I smaak a dop or 2. So I've learned to take the next morning as it comes.

Its all relative to age, fitness and how drinking fit you are..

I find my HR is above average if I have had a few glasses of wine with dinner the night before.

Dehydration is your worst enemy. Headaches and cycling are not good mates either

Moderation and tolerance is the key. Gotta to know where that 'off' button is..

You know I have some fitness...

Get some more fitness and then see...

Or,

Maybe some okes just take their drinking seriously as well. I smaak a dop or 2. So I've learned to take the next morning as it comes.

...drink more.

Guest Travis.

Get some more fitness and then see...

Or,

...drink more.

Why not balance?

Honestly, I think it is a major performance drawback. I try to run out a hangover after a large night, and I honestly feel the pits.

Before a big event, I will stay away. Hell before a planned ride I will tone it down or teetotal.

Dehydration plus headache plus the stink of alcohol from your sweat (no open flames please) is too much to suffer through on the bike.

My study on this in the past week!

My sample pool of 12 rider - our DC which came 2nd unless the 1st team is DQ ed - so one would think all quite fit.

The night before some of the rider did not drink at all esp the U23. I think quite a few of the other riders did - basically red and white wine!

But then their were bet against me not even making the start, as the team counted over a full bottle of red wine go down my throat along with a double shot Amarula for desert! I was the oldest in the team at 40 plus.

So the results of the 12 riders, 8 of us came to the line together. I think the 1st two too drop, but definately one - U23, did not have a drop to drink the night before.

Our third ride dropped as he gave his wheel to a stronger rider in the team when he punctured 60km into the race - so he does not count for this study!

Our 4 ride to go was an U23 who did not drink the night before, at about the 130km mark.

My performance relative to the rest of the team got better as the race went on! But been old it takes time to warm up and thus the team was quite surprised to have me on the front for the last 3 climbs. I am also was the heaviest rider in the team. To be honest my performance probably just stayed the same for the 202km so the drinking - and distance kept me balanced!

I am sure you can all see where this is going - but I am sure drinking all depends on the rider! But for me and probably the rest of the team who did drink, going to bed early (21h30 where I normally retire at 01h00) and falling asleep without a drink or more would have been a challenge - so getting a early, good nights rest in for me meant I was strong for the next day.

Personally I do try and stay dry for a mouth or 2 before big events - this is quite hard to achieve, but after about a week I do start to feel different! Also tend to drop a few Kg for this in just a week.

Guest Travis.

Like I said, drink more. Becomes a moot question, balance that is...

Says Mr wine room

Says Mr wine room

And my balance is slightly off. Next 94.7, I'm gonna try a unicycle. Might help.