Cyclist down - Johan Labuschagne

RABUBI

I was thinking the same thing the other day, I had it in hand window down ready to spray

Just remember if you do, they may actually take out a cyclist next time... and there may be innocent people in the taxi.

On the other hand, emotionally I am on your side, and am happy to yell at moronic drivers - if they stop and get out of the vehicle to shout back, then pepper spray is a good alternative... if they stop to talk back, then I find showing them pictures of my kids works well - together with the question "Are you happy to explain to these kids that you killed their father because you were driving like an idiot while trying to save 5 seconds?"

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sighhhh...nothings changed for the better I guess.

Similar situation with a taxi happened to me in Germiston pre 94...LAST CENTURY....

Luckily I anticipated what he was going to do and had time to take avoiding action.... and caught up to him a few robots later.

Solution: you really want to do something? Then take the registration no of an offending driver and lay a charge. All cyclists do this and keep at it. Eventually motorists will realise they need to be mindfull not driving negligently or the SAPS will come for a warning statement. Depending on the strenght of the case this could at the least scare the **** out of them when police come knocking or even lead to emense legal fees when being prosecuted.

The road traffic act has a provision that assumes the owner is the driver of the vehicle. The police has to investigate & go knock at the owners given address.

All we need to do is keep track of the investigation & irritate the investigator & prosecutor.

Doing this will help statistics build up & gov realising something need to be done.

Try this - i did it. Got a truck driver in court with R1500 fine.

Must you have a photo or something to back it up?

What will happen is that a prosecutor will make a decision to prosecute (go to court or set a fine) or not based on the evidence that is provided to him via the investigating officer. You do not need a photo of video clip of the incident. However, any material or corroborating witnesses will only strengthen your own evidence. this will make it easier for the prosecutor to make an informed decision and if the case should go to court the chances of a conviction is so much better.

My point is that, even if you are a single witness, and even if the driver does not get a fine or get prosecuted, by laying a charge your incident will become part of the statistics (which is what we need - more stats on cycling accidents - more reason for government to react) and also, important, the driver would still be 'harassed' / 'irritated' by the police looking for him & taking his warning statement. To some extent this will put stress on the driver and he will think twice in future before he drives like an idiot again. Technically we are all able to police our roads, we don't need traffic cops to do it alone.

Imagine driving through an area where you know cyclists are known for laying charges against reckless drivers. If you are that driver - would you not drive with more caution in that area in fear of a cyclist laying charges against you?

What will happen is that a prosecutor will make a decision to prosecute (go to court or set a fine) or not based on the evidence that is provided to him via the investigating officer. You do not need a photo of video clip of the incident. However, any material or corroborating witnesses will only strengthen your own evidence. this will make it easier for the prosecutor to make an informed decision and if the case should go to court the chances of a conviction is so much better.

My point is that, even if you are a single witness, and even if the driver does not get a fine or get prosecuted, by laying a charge your incident will become part of the statistics (which is what we need - more stats on cycling accidents - more reason for government to react) and also, important, the driver would still be 'harassed' / 'irritated' by the police looking for him & taking his warning statement. To some extent this will put stress on the driver and he will think twice in future before he drives like an idiot again. Technically we are all able to police our roads, we don't need traffic cops to do it alone.

Imagine driving through an area where you know cyclists are known for laying charges against reckless drivers. If you are that driver - would you not drive with more caution in that area in fear of a cyclist laying charges against you?

Lovely strory, however the prosecutor is guaranteed to take the "he said , she said stance" followed by "lack of evidence"

The reason taxis break every conceivable road law is that they never get prosecuted, almost as if they have an invincibility cloak.

Seems that the driver has no driver license and is illegally in South Africa.

Lucky b@$tard, he picked a good country in that case.

Can't wait to see what he will be doing in his SUV as he is guaranteed to become a CEO for some BEE entity.

Lovely strory, however the prosecutor is guaranteed to take the "he said , she said stance" followed by "lack of evidence"

The reason taxis break every conceivable road law is that they never get prosecuted, almost as if they have an invincibility cloak.

I talk from experience. I stood up to bad drivers and still do. Easy to comment here & actually still do nothing bout the real problem. If all put their money where their mouths are get off their buts & actually do something then well make a real point. Your comment is unsubstantiated & thumbsuck. Also, read my post carefully - situations differ. Stop being negative. What r u actually doing bout the problem apart from blaming government officials? Have you ever taken such a case to a prosecutor or went to question a prosecutors decision, did you ever lay a charge or went to the trouble to follow up on a complaint? Im directing this to all - do we keep on complaining or start being more proactive.

I talk from experience. I stood up to bad drivers and still do. Easy to comment here & actually still do nothing bout the real problem. If all put their money where their mouths are get off their buts & actually do something then well make a real point. Your comment is unsubstantiated & thumbsuck. Also, read my post carefully - situations differ. Stop being negative. What r u actually doing bout the problem apart from blaming government officials? Have you ever taken such a case to a prosecutor or went to question a prosecutors decision, did you ever lay a charge or went to the trouble to follow up on a complaint? Im directing this to all - do we keep on complaining or start being more proactive.

Let me put it to you straight.

Take your defensive attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I have done more for safe cycling than you can even begin to imagine.

And yes, I have laid a number of charges against reckless driving, all of them turned out fruitless.

FWIW, I talk from experience.

Edited by Wyatt Earp

Let me put it to you straight.

Take your defensive attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine.

I have done more for safe cycling than you can even begin to imagine.

And yes, I have laid a number of charges against reckless driving, all of them turned out fruitless.

FWIW, I talk from experience.

"your worship, i bow to my uneducated collueges inferior knowledge..."

"your worship, i bow to my uneducated collueges inferior knowledge..."

No need to bow. If you'd been around a bit longer you'd know what he's done. Ironic based on his track record that he ended up with a sheriff as a user name don't you think? Aaah that's right, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Your'e still a noob.