Helmets and difference in quality/price

2wheelsgood

I'm gonna be in the market for a new helmet shortly (old one is about 2.5 years old and looking it). I'm always disinclined to buy more expensive "branded" products, I don't believe that a nice brand name and matching price-tag means you're really getting a better product. But, you know, helmets are not really something to skimp on.

Are the Raleigh/Probike type helmets found at hyper stores like Game or Checkers really any worse at protection than something that costs 2-3x the price at a bike shop? I honestly don't care about looks, aerodynamics etc.

They should all comply to minimum safety standards. More expensive helmets are usually lighter and better styled, and might provide better protection as they will use better quality materials. But like you say, I think in a lot of cases you are paying extra for that name brand....

I'm riding with a Probike one atm, and it seems decent, it even has adjustable tension at the back. Only real complaint is that like most xc style helmets it doesn't offer much back of the head protection. Couldn't find one that doesn't look like a mushroom on my head, so I just went with what I could find until I can get a better one.

Edited by Jacquers

You can probably save about 2k buying the Game special, but considering that an average hospital visit for major head trauma will cost much more, and possibly cost you your life, is it worth it?

Economise somewhere else, buy the best head protection you can afford. In the case of helmets, I firmly believe that expensive brand names are better at doing the job than the cheapies.

You can probably save about 2k buying the Game special, but considering that an average hospital visit for major head trauma will cost much more, and possibly cost you your life, is it worth it?

Economise somewhere else, buy the best head protection you can afford. In the case of helmets, I firmly believe that expensive brand names are better at doing the job than the cheapies.

The name brands will probably have better polystyrene moulding technology, true, but - and this is where people get confused - the higher prices within a particular brand's heirarchy do NOT mean better protection. They mean lighter carcasses and better airflow through a helmet's vents, without sacrificing structural rigidity and strength.

That's why they're more expensive - the manufacturers have to try to devise ways of making them lighter and cooler (temp wise) without sacrificing strength - this means many hours in front of a CAD program, wind tunnel testing and impact testing. NOTHING to do with more $$$ = better protection. That is a misconception.

In fact, my R 500 bell faction will probably have BETTER protection than the Bell Volt, due to its better back-of-head coverage and lack of venting, meaning that there's less place for random *** to get through.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Ad from years back

Yet another marketing ploy.

In motorcycling, the more expensive helmets are generally lighter and have different materials on the shrouds and reinforcement material, which means less rotational mass on impact. That is what makes the difference on an impact, where the difference in weights measures in kilograms rather than tens of grams.

THEN the Bell marketing ploy would be relevant. Not in MTB, unless you're talking full face.

This is a bit off topic, but I am in the market for a new helmet.

I have been riding with a R500 Met helmet, which I love.

Is there really a difference in quality between a R500 and R1000 and R3500 helmet???

Which helmets would you recommend for bout a R1000 bucs

It's quite obvious I'm in the market for a new helmet!!!

I've done a little bit of research so far and I haven't found a minimum standard yet, just the manufacturers jargon.

Would anyone know where I could find this info? Would UCI or CSA have something?

So far, the latest technology on helmets seems to be MIPS. Can't remember exactly what it's all about but you can google it and there are a few manufacturers that use it. I will certainly have this as one of my criteria when I buy.

This is a bit off topic, but I am in the market for a new helmet.

I have been riding with a R500 Met helmet, which I love.

Is there really a difference in quality between a R500 and R1000 and R3500 helmet???

Which helmets would you recommend for bout a R1000 bucs

Have a look at the Fox Flux. You should get it for under a grand on buycycle.co.za I have the 2012 model which might still be available at a slight discount.

They have good "back-o-da-head' coverage and its pretty comfortable

I guess some of the cost goes into the quality of the adjustment system, finishes and recently the % that the head is in contact with the helmet.

I've got a Rudy that I love and that is pretty much all traditional foam padding and a Met that I'm not 100% about but love the fact the various gel ribs inside means that you can barely feel it's there and doesn't soak up sweat.

Crash wise, I've got no idea if a R3k is better than a R1.5K.

I got a R460 Specialized helmet. Saved me from brain damage once. Got it replaced with the crash warrentee. Seriously a good helmet.

Edited by Maniax

I would not use a Makro or Game type helmet but unless you really want to spend lost of cash you need not spend a fortune on a good capable helmet. Mine were all under R1000 and did a capable job in 2 crashes and 1 hijack attempt to crush my head.