Best Head torch available in SA

Did the over the moon race last night and very quickly realised my existing head torch was a piece of ****. Need something considerably more powerful but that won't break the bank and that I don't have to import from Timbuktu. Suggestions? Please limit specifically to head torches.

If you want decent light for night rides, you need two. 1 on the handle bar and 1 on your helmet. the helmet light follows your line of sight and makes seeing the trail through corners much easier.

I got lights from Fox & Son in Edenvale they the 1000 lumen jobs and I think they go for 950 rondelas the last time I checked. they come with a handle bar and head strap mount.Yo may get the same a bit cheaper from extreme lights if they have stock.

http://www.kman.co.z...cycling-lights/

Bought a 1600 lumen from these guys last night,was extremely happy with it! Riding on the low setting was ample light for last nights course.and very light on the pocket! Def recommend them.

That's an excellent price even the L1 (1000 lumens) are more than enough if you ride with 2. And at 499 I don't believe you'll get it cheaper.

Just a word of caution on buying lights. I bought 2 Magicshine's and they are pretty ok. Build quality is decent and so forth. Then I saw this cheapy that looks exactly like the Magicshine. About half the price. Differences that I could pick up where the following:

• Cable was a lower quality-Cheaper harder PVC cable
  • The connector was not a sealed one. Looks the same but the more expensive one had a nice rubber boot
  • The light from the cheapie was very focused and all in one spot.
  • The velcro strap for attaching the battery was terrible and looked like it would break at any time
  • Smaller battery for the similar Magicshine
  • Charger had an american plug on it and looked very cheap. Worked on 230V though.

If you can live with those minor inconveniences then you will be ok.

I have to agree with madmarc as well, one light on the handlebar and another on the head. Something like a 1000-1600 on the bike and a 600 on your head.

Also did the Over the Moon race last night, tried out my Niteye B10 for the first time - 600 lumens proved adequate, but I was wishing I had a bit more at times. Will also get a decent headlamp to compensate.

I have an H7R. Exceptionally good headlight, though I have never used it for cycling. There is a H14R (I think that's what it's called) that is a headlight but comes with a handlebar mount as well, can only imagine how bright that must be.

Led Lenser H7 is a good but relatively powerful lower budget model. The H14 is also good or the Black Diamond Icon for a bit more.

Petzl NAO is top of the pile for me at the moment, love mine but it will break the bank.

Some swear by Ayup as well.

I would stay away from the Magic Light type bike lights used as head torches. They are too heavy on the head, the headband is iffy (if running), they get very hot (when running) and the battery is heavy as well and needs to be stored somewhere else which can be a tangly cable mess.

http://www.kman.co.z...cycling-lights/

Bought a 1600 lumen from these guys last night,was extremely happy with it! Riding on the low setting was ample light for last nights course.and very light on the pocket! Def recommend them.

anyone bought from these guys online, just checking to see if they legit or not ??

anyone bought from these guys online, just checking to see if they legit or not ??

Legit in the sense that you get the cheapest light/battery possible.

Check the site.

No name, No number, no address.

Only 90 day warranty. He really doesn't want to take responsibly for the items he sells. And that is understandable. Selling the cheapest possible china light with unapproved chargers or lower grade batteries is bound to have consequences.

I have gone down that rout a few years ago. The majority of cost is not in the light itself it is in the battery. The cost differences are huge between good quality safe cells and low grade cells. Li-ion is very unstable and there is a lot of energy in a small packet.

Check this video

2 years ago a battery pack when off in someone car. It was a wakeup call for me hence why we opted for better safer batteries.

Extremelights still get returns but we give a year warranty and the batteries are now a lot safer.

here is a little Cycle Light batteries comparison.

http://extremelights.gocommerce.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/66/2013/11/Slide-Battriers.jpg

Going to cheap will have a very high cost at the end. Not just dieing on a downhill but it could set your house alight at night. And buying form one that really does not want you to contact them is a bit risky.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

Legit in the sense that you get the cheapest light/battery possible.

Check the site.

No name, No number, no address.

Only 90 day warranty. He really doesn't want to take responsibly for the items he sells. And that is understandable. Selling the cheapest possible china light with unapproved chargers or lower grade batteries is bound to have consequences.

I have gone down that rout a few years ago. The majority of cost is not in the light itself it is in the battery. The cost differences are huge between good quality safe cells and low grade cells. Li-ion is very unstable and there is a lot of energy in a small packet.

Check this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtAR1Jmquk

2 years ago a battery pack when off in someone car. It was a wakeup call for me hence why we opted for better safer batteries.

Extremelights still get returns but we give a year warranty and the batteries are now a lot safer.

here is a little Cycle Light batteries comparison.

http://extremelights.gocommerce.co.za/wp-content/uploads/sites/66/2013/11/Slide-Battriers.jpg

Going to cheap will have a very high cost at the end. Not just dieing on a downhill but it could set your house alight at night. And buying form one that really does not want you to contact them is a bit risky.

Thats why i asked the question, also didn't trust the look and layout of his website. Intersting video becuase i'm very guilty of overcharging my lights. always put them on charge and then forget to take them off.

• 1 month later...

Thats why i asked the question, also didn't trust the look and layout of his website. Intersting video becuase i'm very guilty of overcharging my lights. always put them on charge and then forget to take them off.

Well as with so may fly by nights it seems that www.kman.co.za has gone the same rout as Nightfighter. The cost of returns are usually what kills them.