[Event] MTN NATIONAL MTB SERIES #2 Sabie

Tim_Fair

Not unless you're a serious athlete. 34t is the sensible option on that course

(Still can't figure out this 1x11 logic - give up range and have to consider which size chainring to ride when a 2x10 gives you all the range you need at a weight penalty that is irrelevant to 99.9% of riders).

The biggest plus of going 1x is avoiding chain suck. In the 2x10 system, with having the chainrings so close together, mud fills it up nicely and pretty soon your chain is riding up the back of the chainring and pulling your deraileur hanger waaaay past its comfortable position.

too much of this and it snaps off.

I like 1x10, BUT rode the PSG race in Karatara - if there are steep hills and all you have is a 32 in front and 11/36 at the back, be prepared to work. its much harder, especially when you are used to spinning up climbs on a 2x10 setup.

That said, going with a Onedesign 42 sprocket on the back will certainly even the playing field.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

to all the okes riding. Good luck to you all and enjoy. If I were you then I would try to take an extra bottle of water to wash the chain and cassette. I know it is an extra 750g but it will save you plenty of time and maybe money. You can destroy a bike in a day there.

Think it's time to go ask the boss if I can leave early. Need to go and prepare myself mentally for the challenge ahead.

.....again, combination of chain saw lube (oil) and chain wax.....dirty,oily frame is better that a destroyed drivetrain....and cheaper to clean.

Running 1x10 with 30 upfront and 11/42 cassette. Muddy conditions, so lots of spinning.

Just going past Middleburg. Lots of dark clouds and thunder/ lightning. Looking further east - very very dark.

Enjoy it all, I have to give it a miss. Nothing to do with the threat of mud, promise!

So I have a Marathon entry to give away to a good cause, pm me please.

Sabie Rain Picture, thanks to the friends at York Timbers.

Any recommendations on mud guards I can put on a 26inch

Considering Serengeti and Dullstroom....leave the mud guards.....rather use mud scrapers.....and put some seriaaaas knobbies on the rear wheel