Modderfontein reserve trails

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As i understand it, Modders has about 5 years left under the Chinese deal.  

Can anyone confirm?

This misconception needs clarification.

Zendai, the Chinese, have nothing to do with the conservation area as we currently know it. The original conservation area was about twice the size of the current area. The Gautrain, the Chinese development and others have reduced it to it's current size, 275 Ha.

However, word on the street is that Zendai wants out. Not sure why but that's the story.

How do I know this? A family friend is involved and I rent business space from Zendai.

What I would like to find out is why the team that takes care of the walking trails does a way better job than those who look after the mtb trails. It's time to reverse the route, fix the bridges and provide alternative routes around the few mud holes. 

This misconception needs clarification.

Zendai, the Chinese, have nothing to do with the conservation area as we currently know it. The original conservation area was about twice the size of the current area. The Gautrain, the Chinese development and others have reduced it to it's current size, 275 Ha.

However, word on the street is that Zendai wants out. Not sure why but that's the story.

How do I know this? A family friend is involved and I rent business space from Zendai.

What I would like to find out is why the team that takes care of the walking trails does a way better job than those who look after the mtb trails. It's time to reverse the route, fix the bridges and provide alternative routes around the few mud holes. 

We the Cyclist pay the majority of the entry fees, We should post this to their facebook page

• 10 months later...

Anyone been to Modderfontein lately? Want to try it on Saturday, but if it isn't being maintained then I'd rather go somewhere else

Anyone been to Modderfontein lately? Want to try it on Saturday, but if it isn't being maintained then I'd rather go somewhere else

The grass is cut back often and it is always a pleasure to ride! Last Friday it was a bit overgrown in the reeds and the red river section, didn't do the old factory section.There aren't any huge mud puddles lately, but if you do find one, the bike wash guys are very efficient.  :thumbup:

The grass is cut back often and it is always a pleasure to ride! Last Friday it was a bit overgrown in the reeds and the red river section, didn't do the old factory section.There aren't any huge mud puddles lately, but if you do find one, the bike wash guys are very efficient.  :thumbup:

Awesome. Thanks Dieter!

Rode first time on Sunday. Yellow route. Was a bit overgrown next to trails - caught shoes on bushes quite often. And some places had freshly cut grass on and next to trails. However was good fun...

Rode first time on Sunday. Yellow route. Was a bit overgrown next to trails - caught shoes on bushes quite often. And some places had freshly cut grass on and next to trails. However was good fun...

We were also on the Yellow route on Sunday showing a Uk visitor around. Concur re the cut grass on some of the tracks but don't remember snagging my shoes on any bushes.

Still good value and a decent workout.

Distances range from 10 kms to 50kms. Signposting is good.

R50 per cyclist

Modderfontein seems to go through a rough patch of low maintenance every January - expected after Christmas/New Year holiday backlog I guess.

On a slightly different "topic" but relating to Modderfontein - does anyone have a nice route from Sunninghill / Midrand area to Modderfontein to ride there and back? 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking at doing this trail for the first time with my wife and kiddo in the carrier. Any advice on which routes are fun and well maintained? Trail condition?

If possible, if anyone knows a cool way to cycle there from Boksburg that'd be much appreciated as well.

Looking at doing this trail for the first time with my wife and kiddo in the carrier. Any advice on which routes are fun and well maintained? Trail condition?

If possible, if anyone knows a cool way to cycle there from Boksburg that'd be much appreciated as well.

There are 9km and 17km options. Trails are looking good at the moment

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on Facebook- Two The Core Trails Modderfontein

"... Trail Crew have just started operation REVERSE THE TRAILS so watch out guys and gals and get ready for a whole "new" ride... We will also be replacing the arrows on the boards"

Anybody else heard that the new group that took over Modderfontein are planning on reversing all the routes?

Archived