Woolworths overnight Hyper food inflation!

Icycling

just tongue in cheek. no malice.Promise :)

I know :)

I could be mistaken but I think the sales person was confused as I haven't seen such a provision in the CPA.

I can't pretend to know the CPA - I'm just glad the one I wanted was cheaper :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last month I paid R80 for a mirror at pg glass. Today I had the same one made and it was R 135. Sales person had no explanation.

But on the same shelf at the same time - with 100% increase - is this not just taking the piss?

Looks like I a cycle wholesaler will need to double my Group set prices so I can just afford food (just kidding)! I always felt bad in price increase as the rand went south, now I ask myself why?

As much as all goods and services are affected by macro economic factors, Perishables realize these factors alot quicker into the market. So fluctuations in the rate of exchanges, supply and demand of farming pesticides, changes in seasonal climates which affect different factors of each items pipeline all play an immediate roll in the selling price.

The fact some of these increased have been realized over the festive season is just unfortunately a timing issue, RSPs are handled via head office but the labour cost and disruption to reticket existing stocks in stores over a festive period is highly unlikely to happen - should new merchandise be delivered and a price increase is negotiated then the existing merchandise will be repriced, again some what unlikely over a festive season.

Smaller non national retailers and small restaurants do def take a chance to capitalize on the holidays as it is easier for them to implement and control.

Expect to see:

Big increase in chicken prices -goverment is clamping down on imported chickens

Increase in maze prices (this has a wide affect on many things) - late rains across the region have delayed planting

Imported merchandise - especially out of asia is going increase rapidly as of feb, fex covers were bought at premiums compared to summer inputs and a big shift in RMB currency to US has impacted negatively.

Winter last year on this winter coming - expect nothing less than an average of 25-35% increase in selling price

This current summer on this coming winter nothing less then 10-15% @best

The affects of etolls haven't even started to be felt on retailers!

I am not in anyway posting this on behalf WW or any other national retailer! (Just have a small understanding of the market)

If anyone wants to buy bike goodies do it before mid jan/feb - prices ain't going to be going down - however keep your eyes open as i suspect there is going to be alot of promotion activities across the board

How much of these price increases are due to the reserve bank increasing the Rands in circulation, and stiffing their coffers in the process?

One always hears about Christmas-inflated pricing, but I've never seen it myself.

The WW rotisserie chickens are already expensive, but R80?! Pull the other one WW.

It would be OK if they were "chickens", but they are more like "pigeons". Where do they find such small "chickens" ??

Um, I think everyone is missing the point that the more expensive watermelon is the older stock.

So, this thread is actually meant to be in praise of woolies for drastically slashing prices? Fantastic. Does this mean we can stop boycotting them for the Frankies and blacks only thing?

(as an aside, the grocer I buy my fresh produce at is most apologetic for the lack of good veggies, and the higher prices. He says supply has been compromised due to the hailstorms in recent months. I feel for the guys from the farmers up in this case.)

Edited by Cellar

suppose to be the other way around. Up till recently pick a pay had watermelons for around R80. Reason is it is not their season totally yet. Soon you will find them around R20 again

Woolworths looks after their staff. I allows my wife to come home with a bonus fatter than most woman asses. And off we go on an aeroplane Holliday

Woolworths looks after their staff. I allows my wife to come home with a bonus fatter than most woman asses. And off we go on an aeroplane Holliday

I would prefer skinny ass bonuses and cheaper prices for the man on the street thanks very much

Obviously not brined enough.

WW could source bigger chickens, but they aren't interested in value for money.

Smaller chickens = lower cost and quicker roasting = bigger profits.

And in true WW style they'd probably try to convince ppl that they're doing them a favour. LMAO

Re: Redlight: I'm assuming your wife is in management. Enjoy.

Zuma looks after his family. And off I go to my holiday super resort in KZN homelands. Happy guilt-free holidays everyone ;)

Just pulling your leg. Obviously WW isn't as evil as JZ, but they both having an easy time fleecing an ignorant public.