Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

anybody have any accommodation yet? seems everything in willowmore booked!

any other towns close to willowmore?

Ugh - and we hadn't even started to look yet!

Edit: Rookie mistake on our part I guess. Hope we don't make too many more of those!

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About back up drivers--No you can race without -no problem.

Having said that, your projected time will be a big factor in deciding on a back up.

If you looking at 12 hours dont have one the water pionts have everything you need.If you are in for a much longer ride it is nice to have new items given to you at Kondoma,also remember the back up driver only clocks in at Kondoma,Zuurbron and the finish I think.

Last year we raced without one and it was great,just remember then you have to ensure that you are self sufficient on the bike.If the weather really changes you can be caught out badly so by having family waiting at Kondoma can save your Butt.

If you look at the complete race distance once you get to Kondoma you have done 3/4 of the race already.We pulled into Kondoma tent had chow,filled bottles and gone in 10 min.

About back up drivers--No you can race without -no problem.

Having said that, your projected time will be a big factor in deciding on a back up.

If you looking at 12 hours dont have one the water pionts have everything you need.If you are in for a much longer ride it is nice to have new items given to you at Kondoma,also remember the back up driver only clocks in at Kondoma,Zuurbron and the finish I think.

Last year we raced without one and it was great,just remember then you have to ensure that you are self sufficient on the bike.If the weather really changes you can be caught out badly so by having family waiting at Kondoma can save your Butt.

If you look at the complete race distance once you get to Kondoma you have done 3/4 of the race already.We pulled into Kondoma tent had chow,filled bottles and gone in 10 min.

That's useful feedback - thanks!

Just passed baviaanskloof today .Beautiful overcast cool day in the green karoo .Never done this event .I reckon i am missing out

I just managed to book a two man team by entering my email and csa number for both Rider 1 and Rider 2. It worked and www.transbaviaans.co.za emailed me the confirmation and banking details, reference etc...

So for those of you who want to book now but dont have all the riders details, duplicate your details and it should work - worked for me

I just managed to book a two man team by entering my email and csa number for both Rider 1 and Rider 2. It worked and www.transbaviaans.co.za emailed me the confirmation and banking details, reference etc...

So for those of you who want to book now but dont have all the riders details, duplicate your details and it should work - worked for me

Did you get any kind of follow-up email after the payment - wasn't sure whether to expect one. Got the entry confirmation and all paid, so I assume we're all good and our team is in.

I have decided to include Mongoose! in my team as we need someone to carry all our stuff with as we will not do the support vehicle thingy.....

Did my first one in 2013 and already entered for this year a team of 4 (last year we were 2) after I received info that entries are flying this year. Accommodation also booked. Absolutely love the endurance side of this ride, MAC (Mother of All Climbs) took the best out of us, but hopefully we are more prepared this year. You don't have to have a support vehicle, but its damn nice when you get to the point at night with your friends/family waiting there having some braaivleis, and getting into some clean/dry clothes. The fee includes your entry, race tag (to check in at water points) the route is unmarked but I personally like that even more, food at the water points are great, vetkoeke and coffee after MAC on a cold night is just awesome. I can't wait to get my 5x times shield...

Edited by Dom the Don

Just entered and paid for a team of 3. First Transbaviaans for all of us although we've ridden together a lot on tours. Really exited about this! See you guys there.