99er do 2km gravel Malanshoogte on a road bike?

Geeneo

Is it just me that is worried about the 2km gravel road and my road bike? :(

I only read the note now.

Note regarding Malanshoogte

Because of the deteriorated state of the Van Schoorsdrif Road, the 2014 route will now feature the Adderley & Malanshoogte roads with their beautiful views. The City of Cape Town has kindly consented to re-grade and compact the Malanshoogte 2km gravel section, therefore smoothing out the road surface prior to the cycle event.

http://www.99er.co.za./index.php/routes/road-99km-55km

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its only you....i think since they are going to smooth it out. Will be similar to the Tour De Worcester we do annually over a gravel section.

No worries, bike is fully capable. In my case the weak link would undoubtedly prove to be the rider :ph34r:

Shouldn't be a problem. My only worry is with the grading, they graded the road to Malagas before the christmas rush to the Breede and the thing is slippery as hell and gert big rocks every where.

My approach for this is going to be pretty much the same as for cobbles, hit the front and stay there to stay out of the way of the large amount of 'user errors' that will ensue.

Shouldn't be a problem. My only worry is with the grading, they graded the road to Malagas before the christmas rush to the Breede and the thing is slippery as hell and gert big rocks every where.

My approach for this is going to be pretty much the same as for cobbles, hit the front and stay there to stay out of the way of the large amount of 'user errors' that will ensue.

Good Strategy, I think I'll adopt that too.

Is it just me that is worried about the 2km gravel road and my road bike? :(

I'm also a bit worried...

Especially given that the last km is a steepish downhill & throw in a bunch of slower short route riders and things might get hairy

not to worry...bikes are fairly capable..:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhabgvIIXik

Not sure my bike or me can do that! :)

Edited by Geeneo

I rode that section a lot with my MTB in Dec (Easterly direction - up the drag), and it was not that bad, should be ok after being graded. Lots of loose gravel just before the road turned back to tar.

That section is going to be interesting. Fairly loose gravel, quite a bit of corrugation, combined with testosterone filled cyclists = recipe for disaster.

Did a recce of the route over December, not gonna enter.

Blergh, guess it's either have mega balls and stick to the front at speed or drop the group and coast in loosing 5 minutes on the bunch. I might chicken out.