Best tubeless method i have ever seen

Cruz Addict

yeah - Geax seem to be a few mm smaller than other tyers (if that is possible). Getting them on and off the rim is not a 5 minute job. I just hope I never have to do that on the trail...

Fitting a Geax Sugaro (26 inch) on my Mavic's.

Break 6 plastic tire levers on Friday Night

Buy 2 x 450mm (Aluminium) tire levers on Saturday.

Develop back spasm on Saturday afternoon while pumping.

Use 4 x bombs on Sunday to seat tire

Monday, Purchased a compressor

Problem solved

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitting a Geax Sugaro (26 inch) on my Mavic's.

Break 6 plastic tire levers on Friday Night

Buy 2 x 450mm (Aluminium) tire levers on Saturday.

Develop back spasm on Saturday afternoon while pumping.

Use 4 x bombs on Sunday to seat tire

Monday, Purchased a compressor

Problem solved

Sounds familiar. After a couple tries and broken levers I took them to CWC. Three hours later they gave them back to me telling me they couldn't do it!

I eventually got them on and working. Once on the rim, seating and pumping wasn't too bad actually. But getting them on - not something I want to do again in a loooong time.

Sounds familiar. After a couple tries and broken levers I took them to CWC. Three hours later they gave them back to me telling me they couldn't do it!

I eventually got them on and working. Once on the rim, seating and pumping wasn't too bad actually. But getting them on - not something I want to do again in a loooong time.

Getting them off you will need a pair of these...

post-19310-0-50134500-1389360387_thumb.jpg

In my experience, the following tyre rim combinations work well:

Mavic (29" called ust); GEAX, Maxis and Michelin

ZTR rims; Schwalbe, Bontrager

Other combos that DON'T wotk:

ZTR & Geax

ZTR & Michelin

ZTR & Onza

Failing that....bring your wheels, tyres and stan's to my spot....will do it quicksticks

Awesome! Thanks. I usually do these things at about 11 at night after a few beers so if someone pitches up to your place smelling of beer, covered in Stan's and weeping it's either me or someone who's had a really rough night!

I'll post my win or fail verdict later during the weekend.

Getting them off you will need a pair of these...

That feeling you get when the tire starts jumping out of the rim when you apply leveragpost-37282-0-12920000-1389361844_thumb.jpge further down the rim with a tire lever.

So my first solution was to use a clamp. Clamp it onto the rim so the @#%%& tire cant jump off the rim.

Now I just clamp my tire together in the bench vise. No problem

I've got a set of 26" Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels (this is not the UST rims), any suggestions for tubeless ready tyres that will work well? I currently have Bontrager XR2 Team TLRs but they need to be replaced (running them with tubes). Unfortunately I could not find a set of these again (was R200 a tyre at Solomons about a year ago). Was thinking of getting Geax Gato TNT tyres since they have good prices (Evobike for about R300 a tyre).

For seating the bead Slime also works, those bottles with the lumo green liquid.

Snip the top off the nozzle and then run a thin line around the tyre bead and doesn't react with the Stans/Joes etc ....

I use OKO sealent, pretty cheap and it's so thick it can be used sparingly.

I had a set of mavic crossmax slr's in previous years. Fitting a set of race kings was a moerse job. Lots of broken levers. Lots of soap too. Re fitting wasnt as difficult tho

I did a tubeless conversion on my GF's bike. I took the OP's video's method and rouxtjie's advice of leaving the tyre in the sun to get all the kinks etc. out of it. It worked like a charm! No mess, no fuss.

I didn't even get to drink beer or swear and usually I like doing both of those just for the ******* fun of it.

Thanks for all the advice!

• 6 months later...

+ 1

Stimulating the economy and more time for beer and and and

Tried that. Picked it up Wed evening. Went to garage today (Sunday) to be greeted by the front wheel lying in a pool of slime with one very flat wheel :wacko: . Guess it's back to LBS tomorrow. Would that be because it wasn't seated properly and if so how do you tell when it is seated correctly? It was hard on Wed.

The sun part is key....but huge admin and nursing exercise.....the heat of the wheel in the sun takes away all the memory the packaging had on the tyre....the longer you can do the "sun" thing the better....also when deflating and getting it ready for its stan's injection...let out little bit of air at a time...don't just unscrew the valve and let the wheel go swoooooosh. Also the tyre MUST hang when you inject and re-inflate...if the tyre touches the floor whilst you are in the process of putting stan's in or pumping up, it unsettles the bead ever so slightly and undoes all the 8 steps before.

As you can see its moerse admin and I also got gatvol of nursing kuk

I got the big t-max portable compressor for outdoor warehouse for 800 bucks....what a breeze

100%. As The Man says. Don't save the job for a rainy day. Sun helps big time. Doing the conversion at night???????

Edited by Sepia

Tried that. Picked it up Wed evening. Went to garage today (Sunday) to be greeted by the front wheel lying in a pool of slime with one very flat wheel :wacko: . Guess it's back to LBS tomorrow. Would that be because it wasn't seated properly and if so how do you tell when it is seated correctly? It was hard on Wed.

When first converting you need to rotate and pump the tire every 12-24 hours if you don't use the sun method. A ride in between helps as well, until all the gaps in the bead are sealed.

When first converting you need to rotate and pump the tire every 12-24 hours if you don't use the sun method. A ride in between helps as well, until all the gaps in the bead are sealed.

Ok cool. That's obviously where I went wrong. I just took it home and stuck it in the garage till the weekend. Thanks for the info.