Doing 2 x loops of the Argus

Garfield2010

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to do 2 laps this year. Will try to get in under 3 hours the first loop and then do a second lap with my dad. It would be his first Argus and he did no other races, so he would start way back. He is 63 and his pace would not be very fast. to me it would be a scenic lap. I never stopped at any water points since the first Argus I rode, so this would be my chance to experience the Argus vibe.

Come on Garf . I know you can, and want to do that sub 3!

The only sub 3 I am doing is to pass over (hopefully) Chapmans Peak in a Sub 3...........

Edited by Garfield2010

My plan is to ride to the start and then ride home that will get me up to around 160 km on the day. My advise is to do the same, if you are staying close to the start just do ride out towards Tableview and back.

I started a second loop last year, but pulled out after 30 km, just wasnt fun worrying about marshals and a ban

Ok I will only do 1 loop. Will run 30km on Sat though. How long is a loop around Clifton beach?

I am also ditching the 2 lap idea and have planned my weekend to do a 3 hour bike on Friday (don't know where), a 2.5 hour run on Saturday and the Argus with my wife on Sunday which should be +-4hrs.

OK, backmarker $1,000,00 (zim) advice.

I don't have a bug with folks doing two laps. I do have a bug with idiots doing two laps.

The back markers (me :) ) usually struggle to keep upright, have no clue what bunch riding is about, and just generally ride their bikes like no one else is around.

When the two lap idiots come past at speed shouting keep left, move over, etc etc etc, they endanger lives, and make things unpleasant for the rest of us. They usually have white cycling pant taken their numbers off.

The other two lap riders are usually out there having fun riding with others helping push up the hills and generally being great ambassadors for their sport.

• 5 weeks later...

As promised, Argus organizers sent out a mail regarding 2 laps of Argus legally.

They have confirmed that I will be able to, you need a index of 23 or better and will need to purchase a 2nd entry before 21 Feb.

Haha, also got the "Invite". Thanks but no thanks, once is enough. Will be spending the rest of the day with my upcountry buddies, not circulating the Peninsula (which I in any case can do whenever I want to, AND FOR FREE!!) :whistling:

As promised, Argus organizers sent out a mail regarding 2 laps of Argus legally.

They have confirmed that I will be able to, you need a index of 23 or better and will need to purchase a 2nd entry before 21 Feb.

Will they give you another number to wear, or will there be something special on your number? I mean how will they know not to dq you out on the course?

Very, very happy about this :) :)

Also got the mail, will definitely be doing it twice.

They must have been reading the forums, I guess...

DON'T even think of it - PPA will disqualify you and ban you for life.

Used to be a big thing in the past and there were more than just a few who did it until PPA put a stop to it!

Dont ask me why - who knows.

Why not let them do it - most would be experienced riders.

As for FRAIL doing it 4x last year - Nah!

If he did each one in 3hrs that means 12hrs in the saddle - NAH!

Actually he spent 18+ hours in the saddle.....

Started his first loop around 2am.... after he cyled to the start from home (another 20+ km)

and i think he finished his last (4th) at around 9pm......

Its only +- 450 km (if you include the few km back to the start)..... all in a days work for F_R_A_I_L ..... :thumbup:

Edited by Slow_one

I want to do 2 laps this year. Will try to get in under 3 hours the first loop and then do a second lap with my dad. It would be his first Argus and he did no other races, so he would start way back. He is 63 and his pace would not be very fast. to me it would be a scenic lap. I never stopped at any water points since the first Argus I rode, so this would be my chance to experience the Argus vibe.

Good luck with the 1st round.

About that 2nd loop, one day when you look back, it will be one of those really meaningful things you did in your life. Working as a domestiqe for someone like your father (done that) or for your son (doing that) is really special. You can actually do a huge lot to make his day better. Just riding next to him and having a chat will give him energy like no gu can. Lead him into the wind. Fetch water at the water stops so he can carry on riding. Protect his rear wheel from crazies. Ride a path open for him to overtake. Ask right lane hoggers to move over. It's a 108km full time job and the pay is MASSIVE. Enjoy. :thumbup:

The other two lap riders are usually out there having fun riding with others helping push up the hills and generally being great ambassadors for their sport.

I like them too :thumbup: and I hate the other kind, whether they do it on their first or their 2nd lap.