Best for Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)?

RoboLuke

Guys and girls

What would you say it best to get the stiffness, heaviness and downright pain (especially climbing stairs) out of your legs if you klapped it the previous day on your bike?

1. Do nothing - full rest

2. Very slow cycling - say spinning 30 minutes slowly

3. Walking 3-5 km

4. Anything else?

No 2. combined with some asprin, Vit C and E combo, warm bath/shower and a lot of TLC from your significant other.

Low resistance active recovery, 20-40 min spin

Foam roller / massage

Good food; good zzzz

Power naps for a few days

Reduce stressors / take it easy for 48-72 hours

Good sleep, daily Vit C, post workout protein shake, easy spin the next day. Compression tights work for me on a hard day. Lots of water to flush the toxins out.

Edited by Cippo

Low resistance active recovery, 20-40 min spin

Foam roller / massage

Good food; good zzzz

Power naps for a few days

Reduce stressors / take it easy for 48-72 hours

These! Just keep the spinning VERY easy. Once finished you should not even be out of breath.

Gentle float in the pool, rest, beer and a good massage.

I also find that if you hose the legs down with cold water immediately post ride also helps, as does properly re hydrating immediately post ride....

Once you feel the pain from DOMS its to late...in my experience you can rub it, swim it, look at it, walk it, run it, etc wont help much.

Strange that you got DOMS from cycling.... cycling is quite easy on your muscles, you must have really done something excessive that your legs are not used to?

Edited by SwissVan

Foam roller, and a towel for the tears....

Seriously, I find that going for a ride the day after often reduces the pain significantly. But thats me, and i think everyone reacts differently to hese kinds of things.

@Swiss, anti-inflammatories are not advisable in a sports setting in the immediate day or two following strenuous exercise. There are more chances of causing kidney damage especially if you do not hydrate properly post exercise. With strenuous exercise comes a certain amount muscle damage releasing myoglobin which in turn causes kidney injury as it could hamper the filtration functionality of kidneys. If substances like potassium are then not filtered from system it could cause abnormal heart rhythms. In SA the consensus in emergency units is to avoid anti-inflammatories for all sports related injuries especially fractures. Using Arnica oil or other massage ointments is better suited for sore muscles.

A proper protein shake, something like Optimum Nutrition 100% gold std whey and for a slower release (Taking before bed) Try the Casein, thats the ****....

I also find that if you hose the legs down with cold water immediately post ride also helps, as does properly re hydrating immediately post ride....

Chilling in a nice cold pool does wonders for the legs. I have used a cold bath before with some ice thrown in for extra effect.

Have don't this plenty of times. I have even sat in a river in Sabie once. The cold water helps reduce swelling in the muscle

@Swiss, anti-inflammatories are not advisable in a sports setting in the immediate day or two following strenuous exercise. There are more chances of causing kidney damage especially if you do not hydrate properly post exercise. With strenuous exercise comes a certain amount muscle damage releasing myoglobin which in turn causes kidney injury as it could hamper the filtration functionality of kidneys. If substances like potassium are then not filtered from system it could cause abnormal heart rhythms. In SA the consensus in emergency units is to avoid anti-inflammatories for all sports related injuries especially fractures. Using Arnica oil or other massage ointments is better suited for sore muscles.

Thanks for that, did not intend to suggest they should be used.

As its a potentially serious issue will edit my post accordingly.