Magalies Monster 2014

Dirt De Vil

Went past an accident on the down hill at 21 km mark. Not sure who it was. Arm was in a sling and looking unhappy. Did not have emergency numbers but informed a marshal shortly after the accident. 2 fellow riders were waiting there as well. Big up to them as well :eek:

To the guy who had a blow out just behind me going up the mini monster. Sorry, hope my balance loss and weave was not the cause of your blow out. :ph34r:

Apart from cramps starting on the down hill from monster it was OK. lost out on sub 5 but otherwise feeling ok.Bit annoyed all the people coming past me on the uphills but the bike loved the downhill sections, not too technical and all rideable. Not like VG which is still too silly for me. If i am available, will do it again next year.

Edited by TooTall?

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the 45 as well rather than the 80. Nice ride, has most of the technical stuff, but I did miss the digging deep needed, and the sense of accomplishment of finishing the full monster. Such a good event, great organisation and vibe, definitely one of the highlights on the calendar.

My first 80km monster.

Enjoyed the ride with the technical bits it had on offer.

Happy to take the buffalo category and certainly looking forward to next years one

what was your time

What a lekker ride that was. As mentioned before, did the 45km as I am a chicken and it was my first time. Day started bad, we were staying at Peacanwood and as we got to the venue in the morning, realised I had left both of my 32GI water bottles at home :thumbdown: . Ok not the end of the world, knowing we would get a free bottle so could at leadt have that filled with municipal gin. So, as I roll into WP1, look down, bottle gone :wacko: . Had to almost over consume water to keep me going till the next WP. Cramping started badly in the hammies and quads at around 22km, and with that my goal of a sub 3hr went out the window. Cramped like a mofo right up unitl the end, actually fell off my bike at the finish line - I was kaput.

Cool, excuses out the way, now....

Sense of accomplishment, hell yeah, even if I was a chicken and did the 45km :thumbup: that medal was like receiving an award for summiting Mt Everest.

Downhill sections, man for me it was like I died and went to heaven - loved every single bit of downhill :thumbup:

Will I be back next year, well as my Magalies Monster virginty has been broken, come hell or high water, better your bottom dollar I will be back. I will be so back next year, I am doing the Full Monster :devil:

Big up to all hubbers that finished, well done guys and gals..... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Edited by ValeYellow

Well done to all! Savage route with little time to recover.

Great seeing everyone and even better that the majority of us managed to achieve our goal times :thumbup:.

I think I'll upgrade to a full-sys for next year. My naught refused to be put on a bicycle seat this morning.

Awesome race. 82km was really not that tough...enjoyed the technical rocky bits and monster climb

What was your time?

One of the few to say it wasn't that tough.... You must be one tough mofo

What was your time?

One of the few to say it wasn't that tough.... You must be one tough mofo

I can assure you she is!

Awesome race. 82km was really not that tough...enjoyed the technical rocky bits and monster climb

oh sorry hard cat malone, it was one tough race. you may be able to fool everybody but you cant fool yourself busta !

Tough day on the bike, only crashed 3 times. Slow start, watched MikeBike, Ross, Swift, Typhoon, Meridaman, Iwan, Rouxtjie all disappear up the road. Found some legs on the Monster and hauled in a couple of them.

Thanks chukky, you're a man of your word. The beers were cold and waiting as promised.

Well done to everyone, see you next year.

PS: I still need more skillzzz

what was your time? And if that wasn't tough. Then what is?

It was an irritating day at the Monster for me. I started at the back of the pack and that was my fault. I should have started with the guys more to the front of the pack. The riders could not ride any of the technical bits and or climbs and climb off their bikes without even trying or pulling off to the side to let other riders past. VERY frustrating. Then my blood sugar dropped 30km in and I just could not get it back up again, and thus the cramps started.

Lessons learned.... 1. Be at the start allot earlier, to avoid any non technical folks.

2.Carry allot more glucose sachets as spares.

3.The route was brilliant and tough, and well organized. Well done to Stillwater and all the sponsors involved!

All the organisation and route are top notch but with a race this big on the MTB calendar and the numbers involved I do think the organisers should bring in the seeding system. Thats only fair.I had the same problem at the start and was in the chute halve hour before the start and was three quarter near the back.

Managed to finish,but was a long day. Maybe not the best race to do as a first ever mountain bike race ever ( the monster hurt me bad) but heh got through it and dragged a mate round with me most of the way.

To those that did some seriously awesome times,I take my hat of and applaud you . Any one who finishes that race can be proud of the achievement. And be in a select bunch of tough riders ( well me thinks anyway) .

My saddle hurt me from 2hrs in...that is the most uncomfortable I have ever been for such a prolonged time...holy cr@p...

Big up guys and gals .

All the organisation and route are top notch but with a race this big on the MTB calendar and the numbers involved I do think the organisers should bring in the seeding system. Thats only fair.I had the same problem at the start and was in the chute halve hour before the start and was three quarter near the back.

if next year isn't in batches then they clearly aren't learning from their mistakes. The start was a mess