The Non Helpers Club.

Vetseun

From when I discovered in cycling circles, that its "not cool" to carry a pump, or a saddlebag,

I will first notice if the "unfortunate rider" has either of these ?

If not, they can then "cool off" on the side of the road.

Otherwise I have even stopped to help someone during a race, even losing out on my own better time.

The rule of, if you don't want to help yourself and plan, then I wont help.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WOW,,,,

SAY THE POOR OKE HAD ALREADY BLOWN TWICE, OR ANY OTHER MILLION REASONS USED HIS LAST BOMB ,

I WILL/HAVE STOPPED AND ASKED IN MY CAR IF I CHECK SOME CYCLIST NEEDS ASSISTANCE, EVEN HELPED A COMMUTER WITH A POMP BEFORE

Was out on Weds night mostly on jeep track with a group. I didnt take spares because it was straightforward ground, until we got taken over a lot of cut grass and devil thorns. 2hr ride became nearly 3hrs as one after another got flats. I kept quiet and everything crossed that it wouldnt be me next - i think tubeless was my friend; but would've been embarrassing so I'll take something with me from now on.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WOW,,,,

SAY THE POOR OKE HAD ALREADY BLOWN TWICE, OR ANY OTHER MILLION REASONS USED HIS LAST BOMB ,

I WILL/HAVE STOPPED AND ASKED IN MY CAR IF I CHECK SOME CYCLIST NEEDS ASSISTANCE, EVEN HELPED A COMMUTER WITH A POMP BEFORE

I think you missed my most important point ...

"From when I discovered in cycling circles, that its "not cool" to carry a pump, or a saddlebag,"

enough said

I think you missed my most important point ...

"From when I discovered in cycling circles, that its "not cool" to carry a pump, or a saddlebag,"

enough said

The stupidity of the victim does not detract from the goodness of the deed you do.

Do the right thing.

Also - how does it work practically? Do you stop and ask the guy/gal if they have a pump then if they say no do you ride off into the sunset?

Be that guy that helps. It'll turn the "too cool to carry a pump" crowd into people that help and they'll turn other people into people that help. See where I'm going with this?

I always try to stop and help if I can, and it has cost me a few tubes and whatnot over the years, but i would hope that one day, if I am in a tight spot for whatever reason, then someone would also stop and help. I well remember the feeling of stupidity when I first started riding and went out a few times unprepared in a group and okes had to help me with setup, fixing a chain and a new tube on different occasions, so I always try and help without making the oke feel like a ****. I don't think anyone would go out with the specific intention of using other peoples stuff if they have a problem, but maybe I have too much faith in human nature. Anyway, even if the person is just a taker, I would assume that karma will catch up with them sometime.

I always try to stop and help if I can, and it has cost me a few tubes and whatnot over the years, but i would hope that one day, if I am in a tight spot for whatever reason, then someone would also stop and help. I well remember the feeling of stupidity when I first started riding and went out a few times unprepared in a group and okes had to help me with setup, fixing a chain and a new tube on different occasions, so I always try and help without making the oke feel like a ****. I don't think anyone would go out with the specific intention of using other peoples stuff if they have a problem, but maybe I have too much faith in human nature. Anyway, even if the person is just a taker, I would assume that karma will catch up with them sometime.

After 20 odd incidents over the past couple of years and R1200.00 later I called it a day on the samaritan thing. This after not a single one of those people bothered to replace the XYZ, I helped them with.

but hats off to you.... :thumbup:

After 20 odd incidents over the past couple of years and R1200.00 later I called it a day on the samaritan thing. This after not a single one of those people bothered to replace the XYZ, I helped them with.

but hats off to you.... :thumbup:

SIES SIES SIES ROUXTJIE EK SE SIES

hahahhaha vir jou tjom...stop ek....die res kan gaan bliksems pluk

OK FOR THAT ILL LOOK THE OTHER WAY,,,, FOR NOW but next time you check a cyclist i hope dips is shouting in your ear to stop and try help,,

OK FOR THAT ILL LOOK THE OTHER WAY,,,, FOR NOW but next time you check a cyclist i hope dips is shouting in your ear to stop and try help,,

Sal nie...wil nie....gaan nie.

1 exception....hot bum. Hell I will even give her my bike. :ph34r:

The stupidity of the victim does not detract from the goodness of the deed you do.

Do the right thing.

Also - how does it work practically? Do you stop and ask the guy/gal if they have a pump then if they say no do you ride off into the sunset?

Be that guy that helps. It'll turn the "too cool to carry a pump" crowd into people that help and they'll turn other people into people that help. See where I'm going with this?

Hi Eldron.

Firstly, if you read my complete post, i'm one of those do gooders.

But it pisses me off, when I see the "cool" crowd wanting help when it suits them.

A quick look at them, will allow you to spot their attitude.

If they are busy trying to help themselves with objects in their hand, then I stop.

Edited by fabs

Interesting topic

Been cycling too long and over the decades had enough breakdowns, to know things can go wrong.

I carry tons of mtb **** on me in case of bad luck, and I have needed it at times.

If you don't, and in my opinion looks like someone who should know better.......tsk..tsk...enjoy the walk

I Always carry

Bombs + Bomb adapter/valve

Tyre gaiter

1 tyre lever

Tube (ride tubeless - but bad side wall cut etc.- backup)

Patches

Plugs (and tool)

Valve core spanner

Spare tubeless valve

Presta Schrader conversion adapter

Pump

Quick chain link

Tool (with chain breaker)

Derailleur hanger

Smallish Leatherman

Cable ties

Money

Cell phone

ICE numbers

(and on tours, I carry even more, example some Stan's)

(even carry most of these essentials on road bike as well)

All this, and then the water, GU, energy bar etc etc makes me heavier and slower. You want the benefit of no extra weight - then take the consequences. No, I am not racing to win (but neither are you)

I am out there to ride hard, get fit and enjoy myself.

When I am alone on my LSD ride - sure,

I have done more single speed conversions for people with broken derailleurs than I can remember

I have fixed punctures for too many people who don't have a pump, a tyre lever, or even know how to fix a puncture.

I have fixed many broken chains for riders- and the chains were always disgusting black grease blobs

I have straightened wheel, tightened spokes, re-set brake calipers for buckled wheels.

I have cut wire bits out of farmer fences to secure or tie various parts back on - from hydraulic brake blocks with no retainer pin to suspension joint broken-bolt replacements.

If you are female - I always stop. (except in a race if you pissed me off - Jacky Martin (sure not many here are old enough to remember her) once asked for my wheel cause she had a puncture - sorry Jacky, maybe if you behaved better in the bunch earlier) I once helped Ashley M-P and will stop in a second for Ariaan K. but those days are gone, I am so old, fat and far behind now, that I am lucky if I even see them at the end.

If you are a youngster - I always stop (I mean like something under 15)

Of course I am not aiming this at the OP, just saying if you are old enough to ride you should know that **** happens - and you can't always expect someone else to look after you - and be VERY grateful when they do. Example fixed a guys chain (a Langenhooven nogal) for him, and a week later he called me to come to the farm and collect a case of wine !

So, next time you breakdown - start thinking what (a case of beer perhaps) you are prepared to exchange for avoiding that long walk home.

Edited by Max Headroom

Hope that you were talking to roadies with that statement and telling us we can't trust these big hairy guys on the dikwiel bikes.

But I have to say I have met one or two dikwiel guys in the past that were half decent.

I take exception to that :P