Entry costs for funrides

Brent

On the matter of PPA....I've seen from a "reliable source" that the PPA bank balance currently stands close to R20m ...can you believe that?? I diod bot realize that the PPA's mission was to create a surplus fund to generate massive interest from?? :eek: . actually - one can get their past annual financial statements and verify this for oneself.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year's medal came without its lanyard

I hate that, makes them almost impossible to wear. If no Lanyard there should at least be a little ribbon with a pin so you can line them up above your shirt pocket.

Below is a response from the organiser of the Roller Coaster after being asked why there is such a difference in cost between his ride and Bay City.

"n terms of the associated cost, we as Round Table together with the Noddy Christmas Party run this event as our charity fund raiser and thus do need to clear some profit. Of said amount we spend at least 88% on charitable causes, thanks to volunteers and lean overhead costs.

Our event did experience major cost increases and in 2012, despite our sponsors and volunteers, the amount cleared was so limited that we were considering not hosting the event in future. This year we decided to proceed with the event, but to balance entry fees accordingly.

For information, cost increases factored in were the following:

- A 50% year on year increase in charges for traffic officers

- Additional equipment inclusive of two sets of electronic timing mats

- Metal badges - as per cyclist requests

Having a look at the entry fees for Bay City, it is somewhat below the average and we can only assume that the race is sponsored better, assume more entries than Rollercoaster, or some other factor apply. We do congratulate the organizers in any event and wish them a good safe race.

I trust the above clarifies matters somewhat and wish you a good cycling season.

Kind Regards,

Cronje (from the Peninsula 77 team)"

On the matter of PPA....I've seen from a "reliable source" that the PPA bank balance currently stands close to R20m ...can you believe that?? I diod bot realize that the PPA's mission was to create a surplus fund to generate massive interest from?? :eek: . actually - one can get their past annual financial statements and verify this for oneself.

Here is their annual report, freely available on the PPA website: http://www.pedalpower.org.za/wp-content/plugins/downloads-manager/upload/2013%20AGM%20book%20Final.pdf

I'm Ok with the road racing fees. MTB entry fees are a bit steep. The Hell and Back for one went through the roof.

For information, cost increases factored in were the following:

- A 50% year on year increase in charges for traffic officers

- Additional equipment inclusive of two sets of electronic timing mats

- Metal badges - as per cyclist requests

Thanks for that feedback.

Perhaps the traffic department can have a team of "semi qualified" officers similar to the Outsurance points people that can be called on for these type of events at a reduced cost.

Talking about the cost of online entry, a few weeks back, I tried to enter online for the Journey for Site fun ride and noticed that the listed amount for long route pre-entry was R 90.00 only to see that the "online costs" was an additional R 13.00 (A whopping 14%).

With the PPA coffers being what they are, maybe they should consider purchasing their own timing solutions for these sort of funrides. At the end of the day, the organisers are interested in giving money to charity and has been stated by HenryS above,

"Our event did experience major cost increases and in 2012, despite our sponsors and volunteers, the amount cleared was so limited that we were considering not hosting the event in future."

This would be very sad indeed if this was the eventual outcome of the spiraling costs.

Edited by Btus

First race I've dropped out of this year is the 99er. Have ridden that route a lot this year and more in training plus the cost is pretty up there compared to the rest of the races.

Yup, I ride a decent priced bike and yes, one GP4000 is waaay more than the entry fee but I think R210 - R295 is a bit steep for the experience and it being a seeded race for next year's Argus. I have to be honest (and I know it's a bit of screwy logic) but the price did play a part in the decision not to enter this year.

One of the main reason I decided not to do the 99'er this year.

Is the few words "Argus seeding race" enough reason to bump the entry fee that much? I mean it is still a race run on fairly quiet country roads, with NO ROAD CLOSURE. Should it have been a "normal Fun Ride" (like the recent Tour De PPA), entry fee would have been in the R120.00 region.

Yes, finish area is nice (at the Durbanville Race Course) but the Tour De PPA was also hosted from there, and the entry fee was not that high, so Venue cannot be the reason. Lots of big Sponsors aboard, so input cost is not that high. Timing is done by Racetec, so that is not an issue. I just cannot warrant the high entry cost to go and ride a route I can ride anytime I want, for free. (I do not use the Waterpoints, so that is not an "pluspoint" for me)

So I voted with my wallet. Will rather go and do some training around the Peninsula on the day, roads should be fairly clear of cyclist. :whistling:

4,000 entrants at R200 = R800,000

An a-grade race needs to have prize money above R50K.

Yes there are sponsors, but a guarantee is required in the event a sponsor pulls out.

The water, coke, energade and other drinks are not sponsored - it costs money.

So too does timing, fencing, toilet hire, marshalling, metro police, permission to use the roads, CSA levy, entry portal, TV footage, advertising (pamphlets, radio), medals, race numbers, signage, prizes (spot and lucky draw), medical personnel, event insurance, etc., etc., etc. - I'm sure there a list longer than this that I've missed.

Take a guess what the actual cost is to organise a race - and I'm not talking about your on-die-kerk type race?

Less than R500K and you're not even close.

Some people are in it to make money, and others are there for the sport. Maybe a mix of the two.

I just find it fascinating being behind the scenes for one race a year, maybe a second if my arm is twisted far enough. It makes you appreciate the effort many people put into organising these events.

Yes Seriously.

Dude, the reason a lot of these races exist in the first place, is because these charities started them as a way to raise money for their own good work. In the process they created something that us cyclists value and seem to have taken ownership of. Their members do a lot of the behind and in front of the scenes work for free. But, remember, they are the ones that brought it all to us. Cutting them out is just plain ungrateful and cold hearted. Educate yourself and change your attitude if you can at all.

Gerald, you've nailed it!!

Seems the only way to keep costs dowqn is via a major headline sponsor...but those are also difficult to nail down, given the current economic climate.

Gerald, you've nailed it!!

Seems the only way to keep costs dowqn is via a major headline sponsor...but those are also difficult to nail down, given the current economic climate.

it is partly due to the economic downturn but it is more to do with corporates funding priorities. All corporates are obliged to give 1% of post tax profits to their CSI programmes, they also need to conform to BBBEEE legislation (lets not discuss this here). So when corporates assist charities they will ensure that they meet their CSI and BBBEEE objectives first, they have no choice. If they fund an 'event' it is viewed as sponsorship and marketing and they can't claim CSI and BBBEEE points for that, so funding a cycling event (especially smallish ones) is not worth their while, they will rather meet their legal obligations first. Events comes out of their marketing budget and it is often committed to other marketing/advertising opportunities with a greater reach.

This is not only for cycling but other codes as well, including arts and culture.

So if a corporate comes on board for an event, nurture that relationship because it is worth its weight in gold.

many charities run on shoe string budgets, so if they walk away with a R20k here and a R30k there, it actually makes a big difference to their cash flow since it is unrestricted income which they can use to cover operations as opposed to restrictive designated funding. every bit helps rings true for non-profits.

As an ex UK police officer I'll give you some input from the other side of the fence, because although the country is different the principle is exactly the same.

Please explain why you think that it's okay for a police officer to be forced to change from his normal shift pattern which may include weekend rest days, or annual leave, or being forced to swop from a shift such as lates, or nights to earlies just so we can go out on Saturday or Sunday morning and pedal our bikes around the roads for a few hours.

In fact, I have a great idea, let's also change their shifts to cater for marathon runners, fun runners, motorcycle club rides, and any other Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to use the roads for something

When a police officer gets dragged away from what they are supposed to be doing it means that there are fewer resources to target potentially far more serious issues. That's why events like this have to pay to have the officers available as this is in addition to their normal duties.

With the carnage on our roads, I'll happily pay to have them there so I know that I can race safely and finish in one piece.

Surely one becomes an officer because of a strong sense of civic duty or to 'serve' the country/people? Would ensuring the safety of thousands of people not form part of that duty?

What other important work are they doing?

This

post-23299-0-70100800-1390979969_thumb.png

I agree with the concern of the costs of races these days. The 35km MTB for the 99ER race in Durbanville is R210. R175 race fee and R35 CSA day license. As stated by someone earlier. It's a better option to join a club and to do weekend rides.

Surely one becomes an officer because of a strong sense of civic duty or to 'serve' the country/people? Would ensuring the safety of thousands of people not form part of that duty?

What other important work are they doing?

This

That's a completely different argument altogether. The fact remains, if you want a police presence at an event that is over and above their normal duties then you have to pay for it. Do you think international events such as rugby matches, cricket matches etc etc get policed for free? Ummm no.

The police have a budget to work with, just like any other business or public department.