Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

I like the vermiculite,moopoo and earthworm castings.. to start off the soil.. good thread need a veggie/herb patch again.. :thumbup:

post-20718-0-32885200-1391709020_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

West Pack.

About R650 bucks each.

But you can buy a similar one at builders for R500

Thanks, I'll go have a look there this weekend

This is a good idea. The pesticides that are sprayed on our veg we buy is harming us, cancer and all kind of serious illnesses. You have inspired me to start a veg garden as well

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

something is eating away at my cucumbers!! help please. what to spray?

I have boiled up chillis, strained out the solids and used this as a pesticide.

Do you have some pics of the damage?

A good idea is to head out one night/early morning with a torch and see whats crawling around!

where can i get good quality compost at a reasonable price in JHB? I am based in Johannesburg north but don't mind the distance :whistling:

Edited by Leweng

This is a good idea. The pesticides that are sprayed on our veg we buy is harming us, cancer and all kind of serious illnesses. You have inspired me to start a veg garden as well

Never mind the crap they spray your food with but the packaging also takes away that taste. If we serve our kids veggies from the garden they eat them all up but store bought gets left on the plate.

And I would rather lose a harvest of spinach to bugs with munchies than spray chemicals.

When you are ready to transfer the seedlings to the veg patch the soil around the seedling must be a bit dry so that when you take it out the toilet roll most of the soil is still with the root if the soil is to wet the soil will just fall off the root and the roots will take time to resettle in the vegetable patch ans the plant sometimes goes into shock and dies or the plant will take longer to grow.

Why take the plant out the toilet roll? Leave it undisturbed and the carboard will break down quickly.

thanks for the advice. might have to stay up late tonight with my mate johnny walker and then surprise the goggas with my flashlight

Another way to deal with the bugs is to get some chickens although if you have dogs like ours it wont work so well!

Why take the plant out the toilet roll? Leave it undisturbed and the carboard will break down quickly.

The toilet roll will take too long to break down.

Anyone Successfully doing permaculture? My daughter has to do an science project this year to do with sustainAble living and environmental awareness and this seems the perfect opportunity. Only problem is space is a small issue. The plan is to have two door sized blocks with chickens on one, and veggies in the other...then swap them around after 5 weeks. Any suggestions welcome...my biggest problem is that my dogs sit with watering mouths at the quails in the aviary...can you imagine what they would be like with chickens!

You are correct the roll will break down the question is how long will it take to break down. One of the important growth stages or a seedling is the the early stages of growth, this is when the root system develops the fastest. You don't want the root to grow straight down if the roll does not break down quick enough. The root needs to spread out as this will allow the plant to anchor it self up right and the more the root cans spread out the more nutrients the plant will be able to feed on . Just remember some vegetables and herbs grow faster than others you might just damage the development of the plant if the roll does not break down fast enough . My suggestion is to experiment with the toilet roll plant one or two with the roll and some with out and see if there is a difference and how long the roll takes to break down.

I have boiled up chillis, strained out the solids and used this as a pesticide.

Do you have some pics of the damage?

A good idea is to head out one night/early morning with a torch and see whats crawling around!

Have a look under the leaves of the plant , most worms will sit under the leaves of the plant in the heat of the day they also lay there eggs (small black like dots )under the leave to protect the the eggs.If your plants is dying that is the mother plant the chances is it is a cut worm they attack the plants root ,if your cucumber itself has a dark round hole on it can be a fly that lays it eggs in the cucumber itself. If the leaves are been eaten then it is worms they might be small worms that you can hardly see with the naked eye you will have to spray the plant. Read the instruction of the chemical if that is what you are going to use as it will tell you how long before you can harvest the vegetable. That is why most farmers will spray the vegetables early in its growing stage as to prevent the worms from attacking the plant and so that by the time it comes to harvest the chemical is no longer in the plant and is safe to eat.

the cardboard of the toilet roll will get soft and retain some moisture. With seedlings you need lots of moisture. Also because the cardboard (or if you make a pocket out of newspaper) is wet, the roots push thru easily of course you only plant your seedlings when they are big enough to go into the ground.