Vegetable gardens at home.

Mojoman

For aphids we do the following, spray bottle with a small amount of dish washing liquid and chop 2-4 of the hottest chills you can get your hands on and chuck that in. Spray once a week until they are gone, then spray every other week.

just be careful with dish soap it may "burn" your plant leaves and cause additional stress in the affected plant

I use it as well but in very limited quantities 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any opinions on using Vermiculite in the soil mixture when growing veg/herbs or plants in general?

Vermiculite holds plenty water and does compost/break down over a period. I would recommend perlite for your application. Perlite holds less water but increases the AFP (air fill porosity) dramatically. It also aids drainage and does not break down/compost. Increased AFP is key for strong root development. Strong roots = Strong plants = higher yield's of quality crops.

There are quite a few perlite products available in Garden centers. If you choose to go this way look for a perlite which has been sived to 5mm-6mm . Finer perlite holds more moisture which is a little counter productive but not the end of the world.

Volumes recommended.

I wouldn't go less than a 30% perlite ratio. To work this out you'll need to work out the area of the bed(LxB) and multiply by +- 150mm(it's recommended that you turn the perlite into the top 150mm of the bed.

just be careful with dish soap it may "burn" your plant leaves and cause additional stress in the affected plant

I use it as well but in very limited quantities 

I used it on the weekend to get rid of mielie bug from my fever tree. So far it looks to have worked and no damage to the tree. holding thumbs.

All up and running. I really struggled to get my syphon working, but after a few redisgns we are there. Will be adding plants soon

very nice.  what size pump are you running and how do you control your feed?

thx

harvested some sweet potatoes yesterday

total harvest was 8kg from a raised bed (1.5m2

attachicon.gifDSC_0013.jpg

this is (was) the biggest of the lot

attachicon.gifDSC_0014.jpg

So I'm guessing by now you're looking for new ways to eat sweet potato..

My favourite recipe is to grate them, salt the gratings for 15 minutes, rinse the salt away, and then make fritters with a little sliced onion, an egg, tablespoon of flour, maybe a bit of chilli, and chopped up prawns.

really one of the better veggies you come across. love them

My favourite recipe is to grate them, salt the gratings for 15 minutes, rinse the salt away, and then make fritters with a little sliced onion, an egg, tablespoon of flour, maybe a bit of chilli, and chopped up prawns.

we use sweet potato in the place of potatoes.

my fav is to finely slice them, drizzle with olive oil and bake in the oven to make crispy chips.

Also works a treat in soup, or in the skin on the fire

post-51269-0-62772300-1488529473_thumb.jpg

very nice.  what size pump are you running and how do you control your feed?

thx

made a bit of a rookie error and went too big on the pump. its a 2000 / hr pump. its not a train smash as I will probably go higher up the wall with more pipes eventually. But when i put it all together the flow was way too much so I diverted some of it and made a water feature with the watering can that you can see flowing into the pond. Trial and error got the flows right. My grow bed takes half an hour to fill now, which according to the interweb is ideal

All up and running. I really struggled to get my syphon working, but after a few redisgns we are there. Will be adding plants soon

Jis man that is moer nice!

• 3 weeks later...

lekker man lekker.

those mielies won't have big cobs though, you need at least 20-40 plants otherwise they will look like a toddlers teeth 

why is that, ive heard it before

why is that, ive heard it before

short version

not enough pollination (which is needed for the pips to form)

the cob (female part of the plant) gets fertilized from the male flowers at the top and it is a very hit and miss type of situation, so by increasing the number of plants, you also increase the pollination ratio

long version

http://www.aganytime.com/Corn/Pages/Article.aspx?article=910