First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

trees are trees and even they run at a loss at Tokai they are likely in the black overall of else they would not be pushing to exit early. Pretty sure Pine can be treated and stored and sold later at a better price. The logging business is all long term. What you lose today you more than make up for in 5 years time

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good cpt....Just saying they are good samaritans logging the area at their loss for the greater good of the natural environment

Indeed, J. That is the cynics view, and being a big time cynic myself I can identify with that!

Indeed, J. That is the cynics view, and being a big time cynic myself I can identify with that!

I am no cynic....merely being practical. CP were certainly not forced into the logging exercise and if they were then there must a very interesting reason why. They are a business doing business.

If memory serves CP is an American owned company? They know how to turn a Rand into a dollar.

would be nice if they replaced them all with a yellowwood forest or something

agree with you fully... its all well cutting down the trees but it would be nice if they had something to replace them not just for us the riders but for the nature!

I am no cynic....merely being practical. CP were certainly not forced into the cutting exercise and if they were then there must a very interesting reason why. They are a business doing business.

If memory serves CP is an American owned company? They know how to turn a Rand into a dollar.

The reason they've given is that they're trying to minimise their losses in the w cape. Tokai is the most unprofitable sector in the w cape due to the slope and road infrastructure. Apparently.

The cynics view is that the environmental service they are doing the region is worth more to them in future business than the loss they are making, and the Good will they will get from making a loss will help secure future income from other areas where there is possibility of extended leases etc.

Possibly. Although I have it on good authority (superintendent on the site) that they've been ordered by the US To get out as quickly as possible.

Guest OldFlow

I have sent an email to Parks to check my facts and also to ask for a Rationalisation timeline.

I would be happy to talk about this , if the majority agrees. If not, I will pass on any info I receive to the person who will present.

I haven't seen any further talk of this. I support it 100%

Have you arranged with Meurant to get your podium spot?!

would be nice if they replaced them all with a yellowwood forest or something

Just a little off topic, I know, but I looked yesterday at how great the yellow woods that they planted between Rhodes Mem and Newlands forest are doing. They were probably planted 10 - 15 years ago and I wish I could see them in a hundred years from now. They are slow growing but are going to be amazing.

Just a little off topic, I know, but I looked yesterday at how great the yellow woods that they planted between Rhodes Mem and Newlands forest are doing. They were probably planted 10 - 15 years ago and I wish I could see them in a hundred years from now. They are slow growing but are going to be amazing.

They should be at least 3-4 m tall by now. :thumbup:

I totally agree with getting rid of all pine and bluegum

Last I heard from cpt armpies mayhem is that there is going to be no replanting, only natural regrowth of Fynbos etc. also that the gums by My Roots are staying

Last I heard from cpt armpies mayhem is that there is going to be no replanting, only natural regrowth of Fynbos etc. also that the gums by My Roots are staying

Indeed. Those are the rumblings. I don't know enough about the different regions to know what sort of growth to expect, although the region surrounding Fairy Garden is a bit of a wetland so hopefully there'll be more of a chance of the native indigenous forest coming back around the river. But we'll see in due time.

The gums are staying. For the forseeable future. Those gums are OLD! I think they're referred to as Legacy Trees (something around those lines) and are being kept in place due to their age - they're some of the oldest gum specimens in the country if I remember correctly. SO to chop them down would see even larger cries of protest from the eco mentalists.

I've been speaking to SANBI over several years regarding the landscape change, also the head of the alien detection unit and all agree that the world class status is a holistic view.

@Mayhem, I heard from Tony Rebelo that Tokai lost it's tree champion status early 2012 when certain trees were found growing in north Africa that supersedes the height found here. These gums also hold no historical value as they do not make up part of the original Arboretum.. Zip line canopy tours could be an added activity in the precinct development project.

I've been speaking to SANBI over several years regarding the landscape change, also the head of the alien detection unit and all agree that the world class status is a holistic view.

@Mayhem, I heard from Tony Rebelo that Tokai lost it's tree champion status early 2012 when certain trees were found growing in north Africa that supersedes the height found here. These gums also hold no historical value as they do not make up part of the original Arboretum.. Zip line canopy tours could be an added activity in the precinct development project.

Cool. Thanks Deon. They're still flippin huge, for gums!

I have decided to keep out of this process completely. If you want info on the rationalisation process, best to let Meurant or Deon elaborate.

I have decided to keep out of this process completely. If you want info on the rationalisation process, best to let Meurant or Deon elaborate.

I can see why Hairy says you're very smart! :w00t: