Why so many Saturday MTB races

steve61

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the one year, my wife and i drove all the way to V-town to do the Midas Fast one, on saturday morning, only to find out the race is on Sunday....

We swore never to tell a soul......

the one year, my wife and i drove all the way to V-town to do the Midas Fast one, on saturday morning, only to find out the race is on Sunday....

We swore never to tell a soul......

:clap: :clap:

You just lied :ph34r: (though the possibility of there being no souls on thehub is worth a consideration...)

sometimes sat is better other days sunday is better, doesn't really matter. for me it must start early as possible. I don't mind waking up early to make an early start. then I get the rest of the day to spend with the family

My wife runs races on Saturdays. I get Sundays. Lately I had to arrange lots of babysitting for Saturday races.

In Gauteng the Saturday/Sunday thing has a bit of a history. Pretoria as the capital had a very high concentration of civil servants and military personnel, who being conservative and Christian actually wrote into their sport club constitutions that they would not compete on a sunday. You actually had to secure written permission to compete in military/ gov department colours on a sunday. It was believed by those in PTA that the majority of the people in Joburg were either Jewish or Godless, so it was okay for them to do sport on a Sunday (but not a Saturday). So by the early 90's as a sportman you could race on both saturday and sunday.. This tradition has been for the first time broken with the Deloites marathon which will be run in PTA on a gasp SUNDAY. The reason being is that they expect over 9600 entries and the traffic in Lynnwood at about 8AM when the marathon is about half way will be too heavy for the runners to run safely. It seems that on a Sunday PTA is either in church asking for forgiveness or in bed recovering from another camo bulls loss, so the traffic is not so bad, except for the select club cyclists....

I almost never race on a Sunday. Sundays are spent relaxing with friends and family, just do a quick morning ride most sundays. I race almost every Saturday, I am a race whore. So please event organisers, leave it this way.

Guess us Saturday workers are doomed to do Babbas over and over and over and over... FML...

Because I'm working Saturday I'm flying thru to Sabie after work at 1 to do Sundays halfy *sad face here*

In Gauteng the Saturday/Sunday thing has a bit of a history. Pretoria as the capital had a very high concentration of civil servants and military personnel, who being conservative and Christian actually wrote into their sport club constitutions that they would not compete on a sunday. You actually had to secure written permission to compete in military/ gov department colours on a sunday. It was believed by those in PTA that the majority of the people in Joburg were either Jewish or Godless, so it was okay for them to do sport on a Sunday (but not a Saturday). So by the early 90's as a sportman you could race on both saturday and sunday.. This tradition has been for the first time broken with the Deloites marathon which will be run in PTA on a gasp SUNDAY. The reason being is that they expect over 9600 entries and the traffic in Lynnwood at about 8AM when the marathon is about half way will be too heavy for the runners to run safely. It seems that on a Sunday PTA is either in church asking for forgiveness or in bed recovering from another camo bulls loss, so the traffic is not so bad, except for the select club cyclists....

that's hilarious, tennis was banned on the holy day in stellenbosch,probably still is. Hundred of people would phone campus security, so the trick was to play three points and walk around the corner till the boere came.repeat twice and they would ignore all calls for a while