Car drove into me this morn - end of my Ironman

kingalton

Op....Sorry to hear of your accident, at the same time I am glad you were not seriously hurry or worse.

The number of cars I saw blazing through red traffic lights is scary.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said it before, its difficult to function in a deteriorating society. We dont care for each other anymore. To name but two is the way we as cyclist are mauled down by road users not following the rules of the road and another is the chemicals they add to food that are on our shelves perceived as healthy but are actually killing us slowly.

What's even more frustrating is that we can't do anything. Or can we?

We just extend sympathy. Glad you survived. Pity about your IM blah blah blah. But what do you do? Call the police? Nothing happens. Moer the driver? Let's not go there again. So what do you do? Vent on the hub seems to be about the only thing we can do. We suck it up and carry on.

In the case of the 2 pros who could potentially suffer career ending injuries, if negligence can be proven in a criminal case I would contribute to legal fees to have that driver sued for his last penny. Why should he be able to go earn a living when he took the ability of others to do the same away?

I would love to see a change to the laws. If you cause a motor vehicle accident, you/your insurance company must be liable for all damages incurred to all the vehicles involved. Including cycles. Why should I have to claim from my insurance, pay excess, become a higher risk and pay higher insurance premiums when I'm involved in 3 accidents a year if none of it was my fault?

Hell - what a run of bad luck, but I am glad you are ok - if in less than perfect shape - heal up soon and spend the rest time looking for another event soon so you don't waste the training.

Another IM hopefull was ran over yesterday morning outside Bloemfontein by a citizen returning home from a night club. He broke his pelvis.

What's even more frustrating is that we can't do anything. Or can we?

We just extend sympathy. Glad you survived. Pity about your IM blah blah blah. But what do you do? Call the police? Nothing happens. Moer the driver? Let's not go there again. So what do you do? Vent on the hub seems to be about the only thing we can do. We suck it up and carry on.

In the case of the 2 pros who could potentially suffer career ending injuries, if negligence can be proven in a criminal case I would contribute to legal fees to have that driver sued for his last penny. Why should he be able to go earn a living when he took the ability of others to do the same away?

I would love to see a change to the laws. If you cause a motor vehicle accident, you/your insurance company must be liable for all damages incurred to all the vehicles involved. Including cycles. Why should I have to claim from my insurance, pay excess, become a higher risk and pay higher insurance premiums when I'm involved in 3 accidents a year if none of it was my fault?

did a 6 hour ride on a virtual trainer on Friday. Was very impressed. Software and backgrounds needs a bit of work but this seems like a solution. Does cost R25k however.

well a few weeks ago i was held up at gunpoint - today i get taken out by an idiot driver.

Glad you survived but I would take up knitting if I were you . . . .