CHAIN SLIP ON NEW CASETTE AND CHAIN

PieterL

Hi Guys

I have replaced my casette and chain on saturday. Both now brand new. For some reason the chain slips on 7 to 9th gear, under pressure. I run 3x9. Both chain and casette XT.

Any advice as to a cure?

Regards

Either your cable tension's out, your hanger's bent, your chain's the wrong length, you're cross chaining, or you got sold a lemon.

But without seeing the bike I can't tell you which one it is.

Or the chain blades are also worn and you will find that those are the gears you stomp the most power out of. I had a similar issue and could not believe it was the front chain blades, all three of them.

None of the above.

You have a stiff chain link. Give them all a good checking. Pop out the rotten one and relink.

Probably the stiff link that eventually wore some play in and settled down.

On the OP's post - check you front chain rings. Had a similar issue not long ago and also thought only my cassette and chain was a gonner but eventually replaced the suspect one and problem solved!

I had the same problem. Tried all the above but to no avail. It has eventually come right after about 150 kms. Strange?

+ 1 had the same problem with a brand new XT cassette and chain came right after a couple rides.

I have replaced my casette and chain on saturday. Both now brand new. For some reason the chain slips on 7 to 9th gear, under pressure. I run 3x9. Both chain and casette XT.

Easy way to check if it is the chainring is to see if it slips in your biggest ring - it receives the lowest torque so will be least worn.

Check out this post:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/136220-new-chain-cassette-now-funny-noises/

+ 1 had the same problem with a brand new XT cassette and chain came right after a couple rides.

Same with a new deore cassette and a Sram chain. Took a couple of rides. Its almost as though it needs to bed in again?

Could also be old or worn cable housing, or cable...

Shifting problems can be a dark art at time!

Edited by Alouette3