xx1 Alternatives

goodluck Phil danger

I'm going to be looking at a Hope conversion soon, as I'm currently running a Race Face 32T narrow/wide up front with a 11-36T cassette

Ahoy, any idea who might have stock of Race Face 32T narrow/wide? It would seem when I have money no one has stock and visa versa.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahoy, any idea who might have stock of Race Face 32T narrow/wide? It would seem when I have money no one has stock and visa versa.

I got mine from Trail and Tar. They had a few left there not long ago...

I converted my bike to 1x9 by simply removing the chainrings and putting on a standard 32T singlespeed chainring. That is all. No narrow/wide, no chain guides. I had full confidence in it. I believe the wider 9 speed chain sticks better than a 10 speed though.

Edited by Nick.

I converted my bike to 1x9 by simply removing the chainrings and putting on a standard 32T singlespeed chainring. That is all. No narrow/wide, no chain guides. I had full confidence in it. I believe the wider 9 speed chain sticks better than a 10 speed though.

Don't those 'standard singlespeed' ones have slightly longer teeth?

Don't those 'standard singlespeed' ones have slightly longer teeth?

Maybe slightly but it looks pretty standard.

Instead of saving 500 odd grams on the drive, I decided to spend the money on a dietician, to lose 500 grams of body mass. I have spen R800 so far, and lost about 7kg.

On a serious note, for me aa funrider, 1x is a downgrade from 2x up front. I think the new Shimano XTR will be 2x11, that sounds like rhe right thing to me.

was running 1x9 back in 2009.......like a Boss! :)

Now this would interest me as I only ride trails and never use the other two chain rings anyway, very nice, thanks for posting.

Instead of saving 500 odd grams on the drive, I decided to spend the money on a dietician, to lose 500 grams of body mass. I have spen R800 so far, and lost about 7kg.

On a serious note, for me aa funrider, 1x is a downgrade from 2x up front. I think the new Shimano XTR will be 2x11, that sounds like rhe right thing to me.

The idea behind going 1x is not entirely weight saving. Yes it is a bonus but for me the real idea behind it was simplicity, less maintenance and less hassles when riding in muddy wet terrain. The front derailler is cause for many problems like chain suck and snapped chains. Since I converted I have not experienced any of these. The recent Sabie race had many 2x and 3x riders having endless chainsuck issues. i had none whatsoever.

Now this would interest me as I only ride trails and never use the other two chain rings anyway, very nice, thanks for posting.

That was with a MRP 1X guide as there was no such thing as a narrow wide ring and it was the first XC specific chain guide, really small and light, MRP developed it with Adam Craig......

Running 2.2 inch tyres on a 29er will give you a cadence of 107 rpm. Download Gear Calculator App. for your phone, it is brilliant.

Check out this thread for a ton of info on single ring set ups: http://www.thehubsa....s-good-on-1x10/

Just downloaded it. How did I not know about this?! I feel like a kid again. Gone are the long night with paper and a calculator trying to compute this stuff!

The idea behind going 1x is not entirely weight saving. Yes it is a bonus but for me the real idea behind it was simplicity, less maintenance and less hassles when riding in muddy wet terrain. The front derailler is cause for many problems like chain suck and snapped chains. Since I converted I have not experienced any of these. The recent Sabie race had many 2x and 3x riders having endless chainsuck issues. i had none whatsoever.

What casette/ chainring combo did you use up mamba and mount moody? I'm not sure if I will get up there with my 32t and 11-36... :wacko:

I just fitted a new xt chain and casette to my 1x10 setup. On the 36t at the back it still sounds a bit noisy, probably due to chain alignment. Is there a specific way to make it sound "smoother" or should I just get used to the rough sound?

I've never had to maintain a front deraillieur in 12 years of competitive MTB racing. It's the most simple device in its design & operation which means there is VERY little to go wrong with it in any adverse conditions. Chainsuck is a function of poorly maintained & lubricated chains and chainrings. I also raced Sabie (and Dullstroom a couple of weeks before) on a well-used but well maintained 2x10 XT drivetrain and I never had one moments drivetrain admin. The only time I've ever had real problems with chainsuck was once in muddy conditions with a heavily worn small chainring and chain i.e. my fault.

You guys are looking for mix 'n match, boer-maak-'n-plan type solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist beyond your own lack of maintenance and preparation. Why the OP would want to swap a top quality drivetrain like XT for a DIY 1x9 is beyond me but hey if you think you're better off then great.

For the record I've also run a 1x9 in the past but concluded it was pointless with poor range giving you limited climbing ability AND limited top end. I'm much happier now with a single speed & my 2x10.