Epic too easy?

jaaki

I must be a complete tool,

Never, and I can assure you that not a single person here got that impression.

"sunday peddle" :wacko:

When I read that, I understand that I meant "technically easy"

Looks like you are trying to back "peddle"

Too late I fear.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should just remember what mtb actually stands for..........multi terrain bike !!

What?!

I thought it was for MounTain Bike. Now I feel like a tool.

Delete your hub profile, start over and come in more reserved and educated, maybe even mute.

Good plan, it's not like he got off to a great and loveable start.

OP

What events have you done, and where did you place ?

How old are you ?

Good plan, it's not like he got off to a great and loveable start.

OP

What events have you done, MMMMMM FUN RIDES and where did you place MMMMMM BACK MARKER

How old are you ?YOUNG HALF YOUR AGE EARPIE

Earpie? Is that like too much wax build-up?

I CALL HIM EARPIE BECAUSE HE IS A CLOWN I REFUSE TO TAKE SERIOUSLY

Jaaki go and get you mtb and just go and do 40km which will include serengeti,rustygate, to over groenlandberg, i will give you 7 hours to complete that, and then you say if it is techincally easy!

I think the Epic used to be easy technically (comparitively) in the old days when it was just a race over whatever roads they could find from Knysna to Cape Town. But lately it is a proper MTB race.

But that is just my opinion. I have never done the Epic, so I am just another fool with a keyboard, and in a Monday morning mood not wanting to do proper work.

:clap: :clap: :clap: so I am just another fool with a keyboard, and in a Monday morning mood not wanting to do proper work.

FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN ANY OF US ADMIT WE JUST FOOLS BEHIND KEYBOARDS TALKING SMACK

I think the Epic used to be easy technically (comparitively) in the old days when it was just a race over whatever roads they could find from Knysna to Cape Town. But lately it is a proper MTB race.

But that is just my opinion. I have never done the Epic, so I am just another fool with a keyboard, and in a Monday morning mood not wanting to do proper work.

This was always the "myth" that went around.

I think people forget how technical some of the days were in those first Epics. the reason for this is that all the stages were 120 km's plus, you do those type of distances then 60-70k's of technical riding becomes overshadowed very quickly by 60 0r 70 k's of district roads.

I for one hated the Karoo, I would have traded that for rocky technical rides any day of the week.

Imagine Attakwas, we all know it's a tough and hard race with a "mix" of everything, it's 120 odd k's and has a hellishly hard first 60 or 70 k's.

Make, Attakwas an 80 km. event and I reckon it will be labelled as an extremely technically tough and hard killer MTB. race.

How many Epics have you done jaaki? I have just completed my 3rd yesterday and I feel pretty tired. Maybe if it was you you would be on a 200km recovery ride today. But all I will be achieving today is turning the washing machine on.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Okay so after chatting to a buddy of mine that finished the Epic this year, I think the OP might be on to something.

According to my pel, he cruised and still easily made it.

Had time to stop and talk k@k at all the waterpoints, stopped to take pictures 5 or 6 times per day and never once had to worry about not making it.

He is a big boy at around 95kg and trained around 6-8 hours a week for the epic.

So looks like if you have the $$$ you can get an Epic Medal.

Naah - those old routes were just as tough, but they also had long district roads.

I don't think I have ever walked up so many hills as I did in 2007 and 2008. If anything, the route these days is more ridable because the organisers have options. Back then there was one route, and tough luck if you couldn't ride it. Nowadays they can take us on tough and challenging routes, that are technically tough, but completely ridable.

The Epic has got easier, from an off-the-bike perspective. Back in the day, the second you crossed the line the real work began. Find food, clean bike, fix bike, wash kit etc. Now they wash your bike for, give you food, there is a chill zone, meals are better etc.

And riding for two days in crappy weather certainly can't be easy!